Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21921585

Marie Robert @ Rogue Valley

User
2 years ago

Hello, hoping someone has some info.

Has anyone grown Marie Robert from Rogue Valley? There are only two Marie Roberts listed at HelpMeFind: a Noisette and a Portland. The Rogue Valley photo looks more like the Portland. But the entry for the Portland at HMF suggests the rose in commerce as MR is really De La Grifferaie, which is an 8 foot Hybrid Multiflora.

I'm wondering if the people at Rogue Valley decided it's neither of those and that's why they placed it in the Polyantha class?

Anway, I decided to try it because I like the picture--and a mystery--but I'm wondering what I might be getting. Any ideas?

Comments (28)

• roseseek
    2 years ago

It will be interesting to see what you discover. It's highly likely RVR lists it as they do because that is how they received it.

User thanked roseseek
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Bellegallica, RVR’s photo of Marie Robert is credited to Paul Zimmerman, so maybe it’s a rose they received when Ashdown closed? I have an old Ashdown catalog somewhere…. RVR’s pic looks a lot like De la Grifferaie to me, but since there’s only a close-up of the flowers, it’s hard to know for certain. Like you, I love a good mystery and look forward to updates on your rose! Carol

User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe Ashdown decided it was "none of the above" and called it a polyantha? I used Internet Archive to search Ashdown's old website, but not all of the pages display so I wasn't able to find a listing for Marie Robert.

It will be fun to see what I get.

• Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
    2 years ago

On a similar note, what is the Madame Massot tea that RVR is selling?

User thanked Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
  • User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another Ashdown mystery? I wonder how many of these RVR has?

• roseseek
    2 years ago

Have you ever noticed how many varieties RVR has had listed in their "collection" for the past decade or so, but have no photos or descriptions? Those are a good place to start that search.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

RVR seems to be a veritable treasure chest of mysteries!

On HMF, photos of Bourbon-Noisette M Massot run the spectrum from blush white to dark pink. I’m guessing the pics from France are most likely correct since MM is supposed to be white. None of the pics match RVR’s mid pink ones, and listing M Massot as a Tea IS a mystery!

I am going to dig up my old Ashdown catalog tomorrow. This cat is getting killed by curiosity! Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

I’m attaching photos of the Polyantha and Tea index pages from my old Ashdown catalog. I can’t spot either MR or MM in the lists. Curiouser and curiouser! Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

I’ll have to post photos later. Houzz won’t let me attach them right now. 🙄

• User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • User thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • jerijen
    2 years ago

Why not ask Paul about it?

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for posting those. I don't remember when Ashdown closed, but I wonder if they acquired these two late in the day, and they didn't have time to observe, evaluate, or add them to the catalog before their collection was taken over by Rogue Valley.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

As I said, the easiest way to find that out is to ask Paul Zimmerman.

User thanked jerijen
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Paul Z has a website and newsletter (which I receive, and it’s got helpful info and pretty rose pics). His contact info is on his website. Google ”Paul Zimmerman Roses” to locate his website. Carol

• roseseek
    2 years ago

And, whether you access it or not, the fastest and easiest method of interacting with him is going to be Face Book. https://www.facebook.com/groups/58500441971 Paul Zimmerman Roses

User thanked roseseek
  • User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. I sent a request to join the Facebook group. In the meantime I also sent an email. I'll let you know what he says.

• jerijen
    2 years ago

Belle, that group gets some interesting discussions. Worth a look in any case.

User thanked jerijen
  • jerijen
    2 years ago

Thanks Paul. I knew you could cast some light on that question.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much, Paul. P for Portland, not Polyantha.

• PRO
    Paul Zimmerman Roses Consulting & Design.
    2 years ago

Yes. I abbreviate Polyantha as Pol

User thanked Paul Zimmerman Roses Consulting & Design.
  • jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

For what it's worth, I have grown de la Grifferaie (it came up as rootstock under a tree rose planted in the 1970s, and I liked the look of the leaves, so I waited the 3 years it took it to bloom) for 30+ years. All of the pics on HMF (of the "Portland") look like my dlG, including the blooms, buds, and leaves. I looked at the pic of the "polyantha" on RVR's website, and I was confused - they do not even say that it is a once or repeat bloomer, although I guess calling it a polyantha implies repeat blooming? dlG is definitely a once bloomer, even here in our warm climate where some otherwise once bloomers repeat a bit. So, perhaps RVR does have the correct Portland version of Marie Robert, especially if theirs is a repeat bloomer - their pic does not look as much like my dlG as the ones on HMF do. If I cared a lot, I would purchase the one RVR is selling, and plant it, and see if it is a repeat bloomer or not - easy.

Jackie

User thanked jacqueline9CA
  • roseseek
    2 years ago

De la Grifferaie is a gorgeous rose. Just like Gloire des Rosomanes, Odorata, Huey, et. al, they were beautiful, named varieties which were sold, shared and planted for their own value long before they were pressed into use for their vigorous roots, or in DlG's case, tremendous water flow capabilities. It has a tremendous scent and, when happy, flowers heavily. What's not to like?

User thanked roseseek
  • jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

I agree. I think it was good that DIG was used as rootstock, because that might be why so many of us know about it! It not only came up in my old garden, it came up in my next door neighbor's garden too, and I told her what it was, so she told the landlord to STOP cutting it down to 18 inches every year, and bought it a trellis to climb on. Here is hers, with Sombreuil on the same trellis:

User thanked jacqueline9CA
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I LOVE DlG! A gorgeous thing!! Like most multiflora hybrids, it grows beautifully in Portland. If I just had room…. I had to rehome my Russell’s Cottage Rose for lack of real estate. ☹️

Bellegallica, if your mislabeled rose is DlG and you have room for it, it might be a real gift of fortune for you! As Kim said, ”What’s not to like?”

Jackie, your DlG is always a sight to inspire awe!

Carol

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks! I did order it and have received it. At first glance it doesn't seem Portlandish, but at the moment it's only a band consisting of one older/woody cane and about 3 or 4 leaves so it's hard to tell. I'm looking forward to seeing what it turns out to be....

I also ordered Rene d'Anjou, my first ever Moss. I've always been attracted to them, but never had the courage to try one. This one's a repeater and had positive comments from others who grow in warmer climates, so...fingers crossed.

• portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

🤞🤞🤞Carol