Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpk1

Is this pool deck large enough?

rpk1
2 years ago

Wondering if the deck area is large enough for a few loungers and table for 6? should i bump it out a bit? can you have too much deck area?

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

You can fit a couple of loungers or deck chairs out there but nowhere near enough space for a dining table and chairs for 6. You would need a 12' width plus more for access/circulation for a round table....maybe slightly less than that for a rectangular table.

You can check out the spatial requirements for all sorts of patio furniture online to determine just how much space you may need.

• rpk1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! We may leave the table on the patio off the house and then do a flagstone path to the pool just so much pressure to get it right the first time with concrete!

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

The only area I see you could fit a couple loungers is on the one end by the steps. Personally, I'd say make at least one side wide enough for seating as well.

We are a family of 4 and installed a pool last summer. Even with space on 3 sides for seating areas, I think I should have made some larger. It's not just about being able to have a few loungers, but you also want to walk around them, maybe some potted plants, pool toys, etc.

I say have as much decking area as you can afford in space and $.

rpk1 thanked justcallmepool
  • rpk1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!! I’m going to bump out the side by the house to 8 ft all the way to the swim out in the deep end. Even with just concrete the cost adds up so I’m trying to be frugal but not setting us up for failure either. Thank you very much for your comment.

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Believe me, I know all about the cost adding up! OMG it is so true. But if making it more useable adds only 5% of the total cost, it will be worth it.

Is that a tanning ledge on the bottom part of your drawing? I would extend the paving all around that to 8-9ft. Have most of your wide paving area around the shallow end to middle of pool. And/or on the house side of the pool. That is where most people will congregate.

I have two loungers on the side of my pool that is opposite the house side, and hardly anyone lays in them on a regular basis. The kids make a fort with them haha.

Of course some of that may depend on the sun angle and if y'all are people who lay out in the sun or try to hide from it.

rpk1 thanked justcallmepool
  • rpk1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you again!!! yes that is s tanning ledge i had him bump it out on the drawing i decided to just do 10 feet based on your comments!

love that your kids make use of the space by building forts, lol!

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Yes! I don’t think you’ll regret doing that.

• rpk1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Gorgeous pool!! Thank you so much! The pictures provided a great visual for me We are doing cantilever coping so 10 feet is 10 feet and it looks like it was the right decision! thank you again for sharing!

• pooltime
    2 years ago

Happy to help, let me know if you run into any other questions!

• C S
    2 years ago

Is this gunite pool? Is both the coping and deck concrete? Beautiful pool!

• pooltime
    2 years ago

Thanks! Yes, gunite pool. Coping is sandstone from SUI (Stone Universe Inc) in Grey Mist. Decking is concrete, with Davis embedded color in Pewter.