Software
Houzz Logo Print
sandi8581

Need Help For Living Room /Entry

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
Help! My living room/entry is beige and boring. I want to make it feel warm and inviting. We are thinking of adding textured wallpaper behind the artwork. Your ideas will be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (30)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Nice room! Great art, lovely walls, I'd move the rug up from under the sofa and towards the TV about 2 - 2 1/2 feet and add a couple of yellow or blue (from the art) throw pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would take the white off the ottoman. Just wondering.....is the table centered under the art piece? It should be. I like the feeling this room gives!!!
  • 13 years ago
    New pillows and lamps with your accent colors in them should do the trick! Agree with removing the white towel from the ottoman. I think it is a nice space otherwise. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Some alternative pillow suggestions:
    DENY Designs Stacey Schultz Circle World Blue Throw Pillow · More Info

    Legacy Toss Pillow · More Info


    I like the flooring but your current rug is not helping. Suggestions:
    Jonathan Adler Bridget Light Blue/Natural Rug · More Info

    Mason Boucle Jute Rug, 8 x 10', Bleached Ivory · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You should consider adding texture to your walls with stone panels! adds a lot of warmth and interest to feature walls, from modern to traditional, www.erthcoverings.com
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    love the yellow door!
  • 13 years ago
    The space reminds me of Jessie's from Cape27. She put up grasscloth on the entry wall and it looks fantastic. http://www.cape27blog.com/2013/06/put-some-grass-on-those-walls/

    You can probably get some great ideas just by checking out her living room since it's so similar to yours.
  • 13 years ago
    Can you add some accessories in the blue/turquoise color in your art piece? Flowers, lamp, rug? Pillows?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement! Great suggestions!! The color on the door is Lowe's Valspar Toasted Pumpkin. Today I found a glass turquoise lamp at Homegoods on clearance; it's very similar to Maguire's photo above. This weekend I'll search for a slipcover for the ottoman. I want to replace the shag rug with something that makes our blond heart pine floors pop. Do you think a pumpkin colored jute rug would do the trick, or is it bad to match the rug with the door? I will post pics after I make the updates!!
  • 13 years ago
    Oh yeah- and Christina, thanks for sending me the link to Cape27 blog! Her 1950s ranch is pretty much identical to ours. What an inspiration!
  • 13 years ago
    Wallpaper would be to busy with that painting. Try painting just that wall color of gold in painting. Paint under chair rail charcoal let see rest of rm.
  • 13 years ago
    You don't need a table there. Looks crowded
  • 13 years ago
    If you need a cover over ottoman get a zebra throw for it. Also think it should be bigger square 36" like the color block panels. Add turquoise pillows to sofa. Mix with gold and black.
    sandi8581 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    Nice, comfortable room.
    sandi8581 thanked Ann
  • 13 years ago
    I really like your room. Do you like board and batten? That could add some interest to walls without making it busy. I agree with others about a different rug. Love the front door. Overall it feels like a comfortable room.
    sandi8581 thanked wifemothergoddess
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I find the curtains need more personality. I went with some grey tones but not sure if the corner chair is grey or green?
    sandi8581 thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Making some progress!! I am going to have the ottoman reupholstered soon with a bold print TBD!! Thinking of an Ikat or chevron pattern in a pumpkin color or turquoise. Can't wait to go to the fabric store to pick it out! Thanks for all your ideas and input.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Wow! I'm happy you didn't change your drapes - I really like those, they're beautiful. Your new lamp makes a big difference (why are you getting a new one?), and I had to go back to your original post to see if you had a tray on your ottoman, all I recalled seeing was the blanket. The tray stands out now, it's styled so well. You have a great style, a good eye for balance too. Thanks for sharing the great changes with us!
    What about getting a small coffee table and using the ottoman in front of the chair?
    https://www.onekingslane.com/sales/25531
    http://www.target.com/c/coffee-tables-sets-living-room-furniture/-/N-5xtm7#?lnk=lnav_shop%20categories_3
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Which corner? Do you mean a floor lamp?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We now have an autumn wreath, a yellow ikat table runner, new throw pillows, a table lamp, and a dracaena plant. We're having the ottoman reupholstered next week. Also, we're still making plans to do a textured wallpaper (grasscloth, maybe?) behind the painting! Eventually, we'll replace the side console with a longer, more substantial piece of furniture. I'm checking Craigslist every day for mid-century and Scandinavian end tables and sideboards.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Need a different floor lamp in the corner next to TV stand. Something modern and funky.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Something along these lines.....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The sideboard behind the couch is too small......the painting is overpowering it. A longer piece like one of these vintage Scandinavian sideboards would compliment the painting. The blue one is just fun!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you have left over paint from your door and want a pop of that colour in your living room, you could paint the (rattan?) foot stool and reupholster it in a fun fabric!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Here's another suggestion.....the sidetable next to the couch is very "heavy". Something more airy would open that space up to the outdoors and would compliment the funky lamp.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    And these are so original and fun! The letters are a wink at Scrabble and you could put one next to the chair.
  • 13 years ago
    I have to agree about needing a longer table under that amazing piece of art in this room. LOVE this room and the way the colors work together.
  • 13 years ago
    It looks like the side table by the couch is a game storage table......so a table with storage in this room is a must.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I thought about the games but I figured they could be put somewhere else for the sake of design! :)