Shop Products
notsimplesue

What is your favorite Catmint aka Nepeta?

So many verieties to chose from...what do you think the best Catming aka Nepeta is, and why.

• 2 years ago

I have two varieties, Walkers Low and Summer Magic.

Walkers Low is bigger, has a more spectacular peak bloom, but flops bad after it rains and it never reblooms for me after the initial bloom in May/June, so it's pretty dull for most the year.

Summer Magic is shorter than Walkers Low, but taller than other catmints, gets around 20" tall. It doesn't flop which is nice and it's reblooms sporadically after cutting it back. The main bloom isn't as spectacular as Walkers Low though.

Both are bee magnets!

First is Walkers Low, second is Summer Magic (surrounding the astilbe).

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked zekeafroid (Z7 - South Jersey)
  • 2 years ago

All great info on catmint aka Nepeta- nothing like hearing real gardeners own personal experiences.

I bought Cat's Pajama's last year, so it's in it's second year (my 5 cats just ingnore it which is fine with me) and I just moved it to pots so it can get better sun..seems to be improving already.

But- it sure doesn't look anything like the photos on websites or magazines for sale!

• 2 years ago

In what way is it not like the photos, Sue? Is the color not as deep, are the blooms not all along the stems? I've been hoping to find a Cat's Pajamas locally . I bought Purrsian Blue and Souvenir d'Andre Chaudon this spring but can't comment much yet. Walker's Low seems like a good one.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked erasmus_gw
  • 2 years ago

Another vote for Dropmore nepeta! I absolutely love this variety and it was developed in Canada

• 2 years ago

nepeta "Joanna Reed" gets 4 stars from the chicago botanic garden. I like it because it is compact and a good purple. Doesn't seed around so much.

It is listed at Digging Dog Nursery, if you want to order it when it's back in stock.

• 2 years ago

The Chicago Botanic Garden has trial report comparing many varieties.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked Marie Tulin
  • 2 years ago

Sue I am surprised about your cats pagamas, this is my second year with 8 of them and I was surprised they looked just like photos online. Usually I assume plants will never look as good as the ones online but I was very happy with mine that are also in the second year. Now after they bloomed once they look lighter in color and not as many blooms but that was expected.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked beesandblues88_z7a
  • 2 years ago

Zone 7b NC…..Really love Walkers Low, though not a great rebloomer for me either ….but the foliage (color) and form (wispy) are attractive so sorta makes up for the lack of blooms later in the season.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked Nidnay
  • 2 years ago

I have 'Kitten Around', 'Cats Pajamas', 'Purrsian Blue' and just picked up a few 'Whispurr Blue', the latter sure has large blooms! The positive comments regarding Dropmore' makes me want to get my hands on a few!

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • 2 years ago

@FrozeBudd_z3/4: which one is your favorite out of these 4? fyi: if you’re interested in Dropmore, Canadian Tire has been selling it for the past 2 years.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked mazerolm_3a
  • 2 years ago

I have one I bought quite a few years ago but I can't remember the name, but it might be Walker's Low based on where I bought it and the fact they tend to carry popular items. I've divided it and took it from my other house, never missed a beat. Another one I really like that is rarely mentioned is Siberian catmint - Nepeta Siberica. It's an upright variety and semi-tall. Mine's a little floppy, I think it needs a sunnier spot, but I like the upright form for something different, and the hummingbirds enjoy it.

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • 2 years ago

Mazerolm, yet too early to tell with several being new to me, 'Kitten Around' I've had longer, a nice compact plant, 'Cat's Pajamas' blooms very early ever before many other perennials are doing much of anything, but seems to keep going well with good soil and moisture. Again, the 'Whispurr Blue' has those remarkably large blooms and apparently grows into a more substantial specimen which would be welcome in my landscape. 'Purrsian Blue', is the one I can't yet comment on. I still might check out Canadian Tire this summer, they have the largest nursery lot in Canada 40 mins from me, a bit of a drive, but I'll call ahead to check on availability of a few things.

• 2 years ago

erasmus_gw and beesandblues88 you were both wondering about me saying that my "Cat's Pajama's didn't look like the photos I've seen. Maybe they didn't get enough sun? I had other perennials that were ok in this amount of sun (Delphiniums, Phlox Blue Paradise, Stoksia Bluestone, Bearded Iris)

I just moved all three of them into a pot about 2 weeks ago to the most sunny & hottest part of my garden, and they do seem to be filling out more, but look nothing like the photos online. I was even wondering if they sent me the wrong ones?!

My photos (below) for you to see...tell me if you think they are actually Cat's Pajama's?

This is what they looked like last year and this year.

(in the middle of the pot is a young caryopteris but the 3 plants under it are Cat's Pajama's Nepeta)

The photo below is what I thought I'd get...is this what yours look like?

Do you think I was sent the right Nepeta?

Please share photos and advice!

• 2 years ago

My 'Cat's Pajamas' look exactly like yours. Sue. Sparce, insipid blooms. It's been growing in full sun for 2 years.

Jays

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked jays_3sask
  • 2 years ago

jays_gw thanks for sharing your similar experience (as mine) about your "Cat's Pajama's Nepeta" with me and others here.

I'm thinking if I ever give any more Nepeta a try I will make sure to go with the favorites of of some of the ones people like on this thread.

LOL..."insipid blooms' good description! At least the bees like them.

• 2 years ago

'Cat's Pajamas' is doing very well, photo makes it appear more diminutive than what it is, though do wish it was a tad taller, where it really excels is very GOOD bloom coverage and especially seems to appreciate this years cool moist conditions, I'm tucking the plant all over the place!

'Whispurr Blue' is a robust thing, needs proper placement, blooms will be fuller next year am sure.

• 2 years ago

I, too, am very happy with Cat’s Pajamas (mine look like yours, FrozeBudd), and have purchased several more to add to my gardens. I’ve also replaced my Cat’s Meow nepeta with it, as I was disappointed with Cat’s Meow’s poor bloom quantity and quality.

• 2 years ago

Very interesting thread. Thanks all for the tips. I just got Cat's Meow from the Lowe's markdown but it sounds like some of these others would be nice to have for comparison!

• 2 years ago

'Purrsian Blue' is coming on nicely, though most catmint photos I take don't give justice to the plants. Today, I got with taking all sorts of cuttings. I carefully scratch a bit around the base of the plants and pull and separate away outer stems that have already taken root, some stems have layered themselves to give extra sturdy rooted cuttings, I got 40 in all! Tomorrow, I head into the city and hope to come across 'Dropmore'.

Popmama, yes, comparisons are fun to help select a superior variety above others.

• last year

And the winner is 'Whispurr Blue', it's much beefier than photo has it appear, this is one I wouldn't be going and doing any much soil amending making things all too fertile, plants might then splay apart. Of my several other varieties, can't say there's a dud in the lot, 'Purrsian Blue', 'Kitten Around', both have performed very well and 'Cat's Pajamas' is gearing up for another bloom cycle, great plants, ALL of them !! :)

• last year

I'm still loving the Siberian catmint - Nepeta Siberica.

• last year

Ohhh, never even had known about that one, really like the height of Nepeta Sibirica !!

• last year
    last modified: last year

Just coming back to this. ' Whispurr Blue' apparently and unfortunately appears to want to be short lived for me, some plants outright dead and others weak with only bits coming here and there ... disappointing, I really like this plant! 'Cat's Pajamas' is almost too early flowering, haven't even yet set out the bedding plants and it's hitting its stride, not a bad thing I guess for the bees. 'Purrsian Blue' I'll use more extensively for it's beefier build, today I lifted my two plants and divided extensively for 12 plants total, should have done so weeks ago cause these are gonna wilt down and need to be covered and protected from the sun until they revive, or maybe I'll just cut them back.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Has anyone heard about this new variety from Proven Winners, « Chartreuse on the Loose »? I saw it in a YouTube video and was amazed at how great it looked!

Here’s the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8aVcnCKQGU

Fast-forward to 47:40

• last year

does anyone have experience with walkers deep blue variety. Im looking for a strong blue color, rebloom and doesn't flop after big rains. Who is a good source of seeds

• last year
    last modified: last year

I don't love nepetas (the smell!) but I do grow a few because they do so well for me. I have no idea about the cultivar names (labels long lost) and I mostly look at the species.type..and also definitely prefer the upright growers such as n.nuda, sibirica, grandiflora. I have a new one this year which is absolutely steaming out of the ground - have forgotten it's name but it is a nuda variety and I have long grown Blue Beauty (although I keep seeing it with some French name?). All mine tend to get a bit huge so I am steeling myself to pay attention to the latest varieties in the hope of discovering a smaller, mannerly, reblooming (or long blooming) and not so stinky variety - watching this thread, in fact.

I know it is a bit vacuous but I am definitely put off by cutesy puns and emphasis on cats.

• last year

I love catmint and don’t care about the name as long as there is as little flopping as possible

• last year
    last modified: last year

I ended up buying Nepeta "Cat's Pajamas" and it's gorgeous, has survived harsh winters grown in a pot and doesn't flop over! I have 3 plants in thi big pot.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Just popped in a grandiflora 'Dusk til Dawn'. I have a couple which are nothing like the usual blues including a rather tall 'Romany Dusk'. I vaguely recall growing a yellow one, ages ago (but memory might be sending me down the wrong road as it so often does). Calamint, teucrium, salvia and nepeta are excellent plants for my dry and sunny conditions.

Nice planting, Sue. I am very interested in these smaller nepetas (after years of 6 Hills Giant and Walkers Low taking up heaps of space with iffy rebloom).

Yes, Mxk3, I also really like the sibiricas.

eta - repeating myself now (must be an age thing)

Sue Hughes Zone 6b in Pittsburgh thanked rosaprimula UK (Cambridge) Z8/9
  • last year

I also got cats pajamas…stays nice and full and as stated above…no flopping. And it’s a nice deep blue.

I have it here next to candy corn spirea (not planted yet…have to move some things around) and in another place near Golden Ruby Barberry. I’m definitely getting some more of this cultivar.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Nidnay, looks great paired with the spirea and sprinkled all about there! I have 15 plants, though easily could have many times that dotted throughout the landscape and really should search out some of the tall graceful types mentioned of :)

How man years do the mounding types mange before declining and requiring division?

• last year

I’ve only had Cats Pajamas in for two years, so can’t speak to that, but my all my Walkers Low (I have a bunch) have been in the ground for over 4 years and at this point don’t need dividing.

• last year

Good to know, this spring my 'Kitten Around' looked as if it was tuckering out after four years, but all plants are now going strong.

• last year

Love your garden Nidnay and your Nepeta looks healthy and fabous...thinking mine would do better in the ground, than in a pot but I have limited sun, but I ought to plant some in the ground too! Feeling inspired seeing your photos!

• last year

Over the weekend, I found Neptune at Lowe's. It's beautiful with the larger purple blossoms. I hope it stays that way! Will let you know how it does!

• last year

@popmama (Colorado, USDA z5), yes, please report back with Neptune’s progress! I’ve seen Neptune multiple times, but the size of the plant in the nursery container already exceeded the listed height on the tag, so I was nervous i’d end up with too large a plant for my needs. Very curious to see an established one in the landscape!

• last year

Will do. I think I will put it in my new xeric bed. I already have two Little Trudy there and a NOID (that was labeled Little Trudy when I bought it, but clearly it is not!).

• last year

I planted Nepeta x Faassenii ‘Blue Wonder’ 20 years ago. I've never watered it (except when everything was being watered due to prolonged drought), never deadheaded it, never divided it and it just keeps going. Here are a few pics from this year.

• last year

Amazing that 'Blue Wonder' has had such sustained staying power! :)

• last month

This thread inspired me to add Neptune last season. Here it is in its first full season. I really like it. Very different from my other nepetas.

Silly question, but should I prune back my Little Trudy to get a second flush? It looks like the first flush of blooms may be done.

• last month

@popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) not a silly question at all! Yes, prune Little Trudy! :)

Last year I added two new-to-me catmints, Puursian Blue and Jr Walkers Low. Jr was planted too late in Fall and died over winter but Purrsian is doing well. It’s still very small though as it was planted as a plug so we'll see.

This year I also bought Cat's Meow and Chartreuse on the Loose. We'll see how that goes. I think my favorite is still Dropmore for its size and hardiness. It's the only one (so far) to seem to like its growing conditions. I wish its blooms were larger though.

• last month

thanks Mazerolm! I'll do that tomorrow. Give it a sheer! I think I also planted one of the Proven Winners nepetas last year but I can't remember which one. Hopefully I kept the label somewhere!

• last month

All my catmint varieties are doing well with the moisture and predominately cool temperatures. 'Cats Pajamas' is a nice thing, though wish was a somewhat larger growing plant, 'Purrsian Blue' is developing strongly, cuttings taken last summer most were successful. My local greenhouse had 'Chartreuse on the Loose', it's more of an open sprawly grower, though nice colors, gonna go now and take cuttings of it as well!

• last month

I need to replace my blue fescue grasses - the rabbits LOVE them. So I need small plants. What would you suggest? Cat's Pajamas? Little Trudy?

• last month

@vina538: I would go for Cat’s Pajamas. It has a more compact form, deeper flower color and has blooms from top to bottom of stems.

• 29 days ago

I believe 'Cats Pajamas' is pretty well the earliest of all to flower and just keeps on going, at least I've had no need to cut it back mid summer, others might do so depending on climate.

• 6 days ago

I haven't been snapping many photos, as Microsoft has glitched my photos with the last update that I always have to do a workaround to open them, there's just tooo much JUNK continuously being added to Windows 11 !! Anyways, it took until this year with plants being established that it become fully evident 'Cat's Pajamas' is heads above the others, dark foliage and stems and very free flowering! 'Purrsian Blue' I've been getting rid of, mmmm, that FrozeBudd is one tough cookie, lol .... actually, plants have been taking themselves out fast and furious with some type of stem blight, turns black and the plant dries up, I hope 'Cat's Pajamas' holds up as healthy, cause I want to be tucking them absolutely all over!

• 6 days ago

Hi @FrozeBudd_z3/4: Have you tried Cat’s Meow? I planted it last week, it seems very similar to Puursian Blue.

I love Cat’s Pajamas, but I need something taller to hide the horsetail!

• 5 days ago

'Cat's Meow", I do not have, 'Kitten Around', has been decent good, though does not get any much additional height. I think the UK has more of an array of taller varieties available to them.

• 5 days ago

Here’s a video showing a few varieties, for those who are interested: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJQFyxgx6k&t=33s&pp=ygUGTmVwZXRh