Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardenho_z5

Shovel pruned pay backs……

last month
last modified: last month

So the last few years I’ve been dividing perennials and selling unfavorable plants.

I’ve done quite well the last couple, and it makes me feel less guilty for all the shovel pruning/deaths I’ve endured over the years.

Plus who couldn’t use some extra cash (haha oxymoron) nowadays? So it’s been great!

Curious if any of you have also been supplementing their income? Maybe even with veggies?

Comments (14)

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I've never sold veggies from my garden but I do give some away when I have surplus. I do sell eggs from my flock of chickens but only about 5 dozen a month which brings is enough to buy their feed.

    A friend's daughter planted 2 acres or so of pumpkins again this year to sell in October. She is the president of her school's FFA. Last year she made about $4K from her pumpkin patch

    gardenho_z5 thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • last month

    Nice Jack, and WOW good for her!!


    I’ve often thought about planting pumpkins as I have the room. Might have to think alittle harder now ☺️

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    One year I tried growing cape goosberry (physialis peruvian, the tall plant) from seed. I had dozens and they were all very vigorous and it seemed like a waste to kill them. So, I sold them on etsy and every last one sold off. I never could get any fruit, they barely flowered and any fruit set did not get to ripen as I don't get full sun. I hope the buyers got their's to fruit. That year I also sold a bunch of nicotiana seedlings as I had too many and I was already on Etsy. I think I made about $500 in the few months that year. However, it was just too much work for the comparatively little money that i could make in less than 2 hours of my day job. It made me appreciate those who make a living selling plants.

    gardenho_z5 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • last month

    It really is the the getting the boxes, labelling, packing carfully with stakes so the plants don;t get crushed by their own pots and the potting mix stays in the pot during shipping and then putting them out to ship (which is downstairs but still the scheduling). On the upside, I didn't fee guilty spending hundreds buying plants and killing a bunch for some time. I can see how selling from drivewaty would be far more enjoyable. I have givens away bunch of plants in the neighborhood when I had too many (like two dozen night jasmine rooted cuttings) and it was a good feeling. Sadly, my own cestrum nocturnum died of dehydration at one point and I did not replace it.

    gardenho_z5 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • last month

    I tried and tried to get my girls to do it (sell veggies) did not even

    pay minumum wage:)

    gardenho_z5 thanked Don V Zone 5-6 Cleveland OH
  • last month

    Awww that’s too bad. Maybe try selling lemonade along side it lol. Cute little stand, did you make it?

  • last month

    I don't have the time nor energy to do something like this, though I suppose yea it would be nice to have the extra cash. I'll just give stuff away if I know someone wants it. I make mental notes of who likes what in my garden and if/when it comes time to divide or destroy I'll either pot it up or, if it's a larger item like a shrub, stuff it into a big garbage bag for them. I sent someone home from my 4th July party with a nice carful of stuff :0)

  • last month

    I do sell eggs to the B&B across the road, about 10 dozen a week, and make just about enough money to pay for the chicken feed. I have sold excess garden vegetables and made a few dollars but mostly I just give it away. If no one wants it I take it to the local food pantry who is always glad to take my zucchini or tomatoes. They took the first bucket full of poblanos last year, but said no one would take them, LOL, so turned down more.


    I grow most of my own garden seedlings and save my own seeds, so I grow 120 petunias for a neighbor, some specific heirloom tomato seedlings for the neighbors who own the B&B, and extra garlic for a retired Marine sergeant who lives down the street. They pay me for the seeds but since I already have lights and shelves and pots and it doesn't really cost me anything other than soil and seed, I'm good with that.


    I do not ship anything and I don't charge for my time. I figure I'm doing something I like and just doing it a little extra is a double bonus for me. The Marine just brought me a half gallon of maple syrup he tapped and processed last winter in return for eggs and tomatoes. I think I got the better of that deal although no money changed hands.


    Annie

  • last month

    Annie -- I love that! Neighbors being good neighbors.

  • 28 days ago

    Very nice Annie! I have given away plants to neighbors in the past but after watching them sit there and wither away and die due to their procrastination, busyness or whatever, is when I decided to try selling them. Best decision! I’ve done very well especially this year and I’ve needed to thin out alot of areas, so it’s definitely a win-win!

  • 5 days ago

    Crazy sales this week. Had to bring out the sawzall. Almost $400 today alone😳

  • 5 days ago

    " Almost $400 today alone "


    Wow!!

  • 5 days ago

    I know crazy right?! Things really slowed down and I thought I might be done for the season but with the cool down, it really brought back the buyers!