Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_price5831446

Help! How do a tie this all together?

5 years ago

Our home remodel has spiraled. We were not planning on redoing the roof, but it had to be done. I ordered my garage doors months ago. Picked my roof color and now I’m trying to figure out how to make it all cohesive. My roof is charcoal which I guess is really more black😦 my gutters are black and my garage doors are kinda a gray/brown bronze color. I’d rather not paint the gutters or garage doors if possible.

I am thinking alabaster for the house, what color for the fasia? Should the trim around the windows be the house color? Any other house color suggestions? My HOA loves beige😬

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Select a color close to the garage doors or a bit lighter and use that for the siding on the house. Keep the frames around the windows and the horizontal band white to match the trim.




  • 5 years ago

    I agree with Beverly, the bronze color on the siding, if your HOA will accept that color. Its about the only way to tie the garage door color into the rest of the house.

  • 5 years ago

    Black paint will look awesome.
    With cedar accents. Beautiful

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Since your house has a variety of materials, trim, etc. would suggest choosing one color to ties the disparate elements all together. Would suggest a lighter neutral color (although not beige) and would even paint your stone/brick wall at the front of your house. Would suggest trim to be white to provide a small level of contrast. I know you said you don't want to paint gutters, downspouts or garage door but will suggest that you do so as not to have stark contrast between those elements and the rest of the house. Would definitely suggest revamping your landscaping. Would also suggest moving your fountain elsewhere as it competes with your entry door. Would remove all the lattice porch skirting and replace with something else. We often use horizontal siding with a half inch gap to allow circulation. It's a very handsome house btw. Good luck!

  • 5 years ago

    What is the purpose of the beige brick wall? If you removed it, you'd have more paint color choices.

  • 5 years ago

    There is a bathroom behind it. The window is almost floor to ceiling window right in front of the toilet. We’ve thought about painting it and then facing it with cedar horizontal planks.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks for info on the bathroom window behind the wall. This would be a good time to make the window less tall, matching the one to the left as you stand in front of the house. Or you can block the window's bottom area with shutters or a painted wood panel. If that change is not in the budget, you can just paint the wall to match the house.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I would do all the rest in the same color as the garge doors

  • 5 years ago

    I think alabaster on all the siding and a dark color on all of the trim, fascia, and the garage would look striking. Paint the doors a burnt orange.

    Keep the wall. It is interesting.


  • 5 years ago

    Whatever color you choose, dark or light, paint out the brick and wood siding to match the other exterior walls and it will look far less choppy.

  • 5 years ago

    I don't think you'll get approval for an all charcoal house from your HOA! I agree with Norwood Arch and houssaon, alabaster everywhere: call it 'light beige'! I would even do the trim all that color, and the brick wall too. But houssaon's mock-up does show off the architextural lines well, so do the charcoal trim if you want to play up the MCM-ness. Doors can be any color you like.

  • 5 years ago

    You don’t need to paint the house a similar shade as the garage doors. The doors are very close in tone to the windows, so they already correlate. If you live far to the north, a dark exterior will help assist your heating system on sunny winter days, but if you depend on air conditioning in the summer, dark walls paired with the near black roof will have an effect on the efficiency of the cooling system.

    Consider how much contrast you need between the dark roof, windows and garage doors vs. walls vs. trim.

    As for the bathroom window, you could put a medium tint film on the inside and then put a frosted film behind it and enjoy light and privacy at the same time. the tint will obscur the frost making the window just dark from the outside. during the day and working with the frost at night.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I would go with light taupe.

  • 5 years ago

    Alabaster! And I love your house!!