Software
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_fraser42

Help us with exterior paint color!! We are hopeless!

5 years ago

Our house was built on 1929. Not sure of the style, but we would love to change the color using historic colors. Maybe a greige or putty color base with other trim/window box and door color? It's a rather plain looking horizontal box. I think I've reached my limit with the online tools from paint stores. I'm at a loss. Please suggest any color combos!


Comments (22)

  • 5 years ago

    I wonder if a Terracotta would do, maybe with navy blue trims.....just an idea <3

  • 5 years ago

    My guess is it could have been a light peach color once-upon-a-time. It reminds me of another 1920’s house I visited on the Main Line in Philadelphia. Huge, old stucco mansion and it was peach. Some black trim around the door and windows too. Have you checked some historic architecture books?

    It looks like a mini version of that other house.

  • 5 years ago

    Found some other historical photos.

  • 5 years ago

    Two more

    Kerry Fraser thanked RedRyder
  • 5 years ago

    Notice the trim around their windows. It makes the house color look better.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    May be gray with wooden door?


    Kerry Fraser thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Kerry Fraser thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 5 years ago

    I’m sure you’ll come up with a great color for the house. If possible replace the front steps and porch and make it wider using stone and pavers.

  • 5 years ago

    What color is the roof? It’s hard to tell from this photo.

    Kerry Fraser thanked Laura
  • 5 years ago

    Totally agree with you -- these are mini lilacs and they're not rich and verdant enough. next step is a new step :) and possible retaining wall for hydrangeas, etc!

  • 5 years ago

    OH MY GOSH -- thank you so much! Especially to those who have rendered photos!!!! So appreciative of this group and its' expertise and creativity. Many, many thank yous!

  • 5 years ago

    Your payment for the help is to keep us posted! Your house can be really grand and lovey! 1920 houses are my favorite. I miss mine!

    Kerry Fraser thanked RedRyder
  • 5 years ago

    The bones of your home are great! You need more depth, created through color of the facade, trim, and plants. I love the terra cotta and green “Floridian” style posted in the comment above- so incredibly interesting! But if that is too much contrast for you, what about a darker color for the stucco with gradually lighter tones for the trim and door (but all in the same palette). The door needs to be lighter in color. As it is,the white painted moldings make it appear to be a closing elevator door.
    Cut back or remove the foundation plants. You are losing part of your facade to a boring row of shrubs.
    If those are window boxes, fill them with gorgeous full plants that will complement the palette.

    Kerry Fraser thanked southernel
  • 5 years ago

    I cannot add anything to the great suggestions so far, though I love the green home posted by RedRyder. Your house is a nice colonial, and the photo seems to have been taken in Winter or before Spring since the shrubs are bare. The window divider style is very pretty. Once you have selected the exterior colors and had the house painted, we will be well into fall or winter again. I would start planning your future gardens and landscaping. Do you know what the foundation shrubs are? If they are healthy, you may want to keep them. Consider under-planting them with some lower-growing colorful plants which will fill in the legginess of the existing shrubs. Add a tree or two placed far enough from the house that they will not crowd the house or overhang the roof. A wider porch and steps would make a more gracious entry befitting a classic style.

  • 5 years ago

    Sorry, but immediately upon seeing the house in grey, I thought of those communist buildings in Central Europe. The other colors look
    Happy.

  • 5 years ago

    What a great looking home, and the renderings are awesome. I wondered about changing the trim and door colors. Can’t wait to see the updated photos.

  • 5 years ago

    @southernel I love the look you are talking about! We're in Canada, so unfortunately Floridian might look a little out of place, but gosh, the look is so beautiful!

  • 5 years ago

    Great House . I would love to see it grey with black trim .Black shutters on the upper widow. Black planter boxes on lower windows.Larger step curving outward.

  • 5 years ago

    We painted our house SW Loggia. It’s a putty color with a hint of cream. It’s very classic and I prefer it over the Farm style white homes rage.

  • 5 years ago

    Many great color choices. Just a couple of thoughts. I would not add shutters. Also black trim will make the upper windows look squat. The front door trim is very wide and the storm door makes it appear wider. If you need a storm door I would look for one with less of a frame so the interior door color is more prominent

  • 5 years ago

    You can always beef up the trim as needed so the windows are more consistent. I am also in the “not grey/putty” camp. A 1920’s house needs a lighter feel. Grey stucco doesn’t give it that feeling.