teddie2

Afraid of making design mistake.

teddie2

I am gutting my current bathroom and starting from scratch. For many reasons I need to stay with the current arrangement. Small bathroom I am trying to make look bit bigger ( 5W by 10L). Eliminating the tub to have a shower only with frameless glass door.

My biggest questions.

1. I have picked out a wall tile.. trying to stay light, nutral so its large white tiles with grey veining. Tiles are about 12 by 24. THe showroom had them on a diagnal but not sure it that is the best way to install for the whole bathroom (Rest of the bathroom wall opposite the shower. Currently tiled half way up) or just the shower.

2. Looking to do different tile on the shower floor maybe pebbles or small hex in grey and white but should I do bigger tiles here?

3 Bathroom floor , I have read to keep the number of different tiles to a minimum in a small bathroom so should I do the wall tile on the floor or is it not a good idea to put white on a floor? Or should I do a larger tile on the tub floor and do the same tile on the bathroom floor.

4 Alcove with Vanity. I have a little alcove in front of the shower where the vanity is currently. Its tiled half way up all three walls. I am thinking to not tile the walls on the sides and only do a statement wall behind the vanity. Oval mirror and two scones on either side. Gray vanity.

Any thoughts or ideas helpful. Below pics of current bathroom and some of the tiles I have been considering. FIrst photo wall tile. Second the small hex tiles (poss shower floor) are on top of a long wood grain tile in light grey we were thinking for bathroom floor or maybe something different... not sure whats best.

• teddie2

Does that look like a good placement

• RedRyder

Hard to tell on a photo but to me that looks good or just a tiny bit higher for the sconce.

teddie2 thanked RedRyder

Terrified of making mistake with upholstery fabric for custom sofa!

I am not bringing a sofa to an upholsterer. As I explained in my 1st post, I am ordering a custom sofa that has a COM program. I would have the fabric sent to the maker and they do the upholstery & send it once it is finished to me. This is a furniture maker that does everything online and has a great reputation. Yes, my budget is limited, but I still have room to splurge a little. I think I can afford fabric up to about $65/yard or so, but I'd rather find it for less than that. I am waiting on the quote from the sofa maker, so will know better after that what I really can spend. As far as fabric, I am primarily looking for velvet in a teal, peacock, or turquoise, unless something else strikes my fancy. I suppose that if I wanted something other than velvet, it would be less expensive - I am open to other fabrics, but how do I know what type of fabric works best with a certain kind of style? Like, what is best for scatterback cushions? I saw a pic of a custom sofa someone had on their blog and they used two fabrics - one for the body and another for back cushions. made me wonder how one knows which type of material is best.

I want to paint my house pink...am I making a mistake?

My comment is based on the fact you own 10 gallons of koala bear paint (not that I am disagreeing with the pink..) Paint the house the k bear ( I think there is a hint of green in it) and pair it with a purple front door and lots of purple flowers in the yard. The columns would look great with some clematis...

Are you guilty of making any of these design mistakes?

when we were shopping for our current house, 7 years ago, my husband snorted at how many people had had the same furniture for 30 years. i asked him how old he thought our furniture was (20 years then), and if he had any plans to replace it if it fit in the new house. (oops!). so we got new furniture. : ) he hated the idea he was a fuddy-duddy in training. its good to change things up every 10 years or so. not everything.. but a new rug here, a different lamp there. keeps you from becoming dated. and with our kids both setting up houses of their own, lots of places for the old things to go.

Table size 12x12 room .. did I just make a huge (or tiny) mistake?

Sorry new to all this and not sure how to start a new thread. The room is 163”x157” I had planned on only having a round 72” table and maybe two small tables on either side of the big window or should I do a rectangular table with a Buffett on the wall between the two smaller windows? Like the second picture? Thanks ladies!
  • A M

So I am definitely not an expert, but my google research tells me this:

When positioning sconces beside the mirror, they should be level with your face and 36-40 inches apart and no less than 1 inch from the mirror’s sides.

User height is the determining factor - This is actually a fairly subjective matter, not because it makes no difference, but because sconces need to be placed so they are even with your head and face. As everyone is a different height, there are no dimensions that would apply to everyone.

Even though user height is the determining factor, most designers would start with a height of 60 -65 inches from the floor for side sconce lights. From there, they would make adjustments to accommodate the height of the people who are going to be using the mirror as well as the size of the mirror. The height of the sconce should land just around eye level, preventing unflattering shadows or harsh glares. As the height of the people who will be using the mirror is of paramount importance, your sconces might not be centered beside the mirror; they may be aligned with the top of the mirror or even the lower half of it. There is nothing wrong with this.

teddie2 thanked A M
  • teddie2

Vanity came today the replacement and it too was broken you just can't make this stuff up

• Suki Mom

☹️☹️☹️

• husterd
    1. Can your contractor/carpenter make a duplicate in white of broken one? And then ship PB back. 2. Or if still have do 2 broken ones make 1 whole? After insisting PB take back the pieces and deep discount for pieces using. 3. 3rd option call customer service as high up as possible,- get number /connection thru to warehouse where sitting. Insist they actually look at the remaining ones in stock and ship the last remaining unbroken one. I had to do this in ‘18 when delay after delay. Asked her to look and see if actually in warehouse. She did, it was. Put my name on it, and it came. Nicely during whole thing, practically begged, I’m sure some crying too.
    teddie2 thanked husterd
  • teddie2

Thanks for your suggestions. It's the shipping. They are breaking during the shipping. You can see that from how beat up the boxes are. It was both sinks that cracked. There may even have been more damage I just opened the box top and saw the broken sink and there was no need to unpack further. I have sent them back and asked for a refund.. my contractor is not able to do what you suggested, for that you need a skilled carpenter. I reached out to a few and they want thousands. I am at this point thinking of just getting a pedestal sink again. The space is small and it may look better. We do have a closet right outside the bathroom where we store bathroom items now so may just continue to do that unless I find something else I feel I have really looked and what I find won't work in my space, is not in stock or is cheaply made.

Most of the bathroom will be done in another 2 weeks. T vanity will be the last thing.

• husterd

Pedestal sink it is. Look for simple classic design with as wide flat borders as possible. Will be beautiful. Post final pics.

teddie2 thanked husterd
  • A M

@teddie2 - I saw this image today and thought it was an interesting placement of sconces in a small bathroom...

Newcastle Refresh · More Info

• teddie2

Thanks Yes interesting my bathroom is not that small the sconces fit next to the mirror

• husterd

Teddie, good. Side placement much better for proper light, less busy, not in the way.

• marylut

Don’t you plan on having a medicine cab in wall to left of mirror wall?

teddie2 thanked marylut
  • RedRyder

There are a ton of free standing sinks that are beautiful. Now that the shipping companies are being careless, it’s worth making a design change to keep your sanity.

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • teddie2

Marylut we scrapped that idea awhile ago and went with a regular medicine cabinet.

RedRyder now I am into the pedestal sink mode and think it may be the best move. It will feel more spacious and show off the pretty floor tile better. They say they are making a comeback

Now I need to find one with decent counter space that will go with the feel of the bathroom.

Here is where we are at for the moment.

The cutout fot the medicine cabinet and sconces and the shower with seat and niche.

I messed up and gave the wrong measurements for the seat so will have to have another made and eat the cost. Its not horrible just frustrating and another 10 day delay.

This is what happens when you are your own general contractor!

• teddie2

Slowly moving on. First of the tile in the shower. Still needs grout
    I need to figure out how to get some kind of backsplash behind the pedestal sink now that I am not doing a vanity and I am not tiling behind there

• RedRyder

You’re speaking my language again Teddie! I had a downstairs guest bathroom that needed a pedestal sink with SOME room on the sides. Memoirs by Koehler is still a best seller for a reason. I know there is another one with wider flat sides to hold soap, toothbrush, etc. let me go find that brand for you.
    Why can’t you just paint the wall behind the pedestal sink? Or are you talking about the part of the wall that would be a backsplash? If you don’t want to start searching for tiles, you can use a slightly glossier paint so it’s easier to wipe clean.

• RedRyder

Here are some ideas:

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • RedRyder

Some not-so -standard looks

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • husterd

Red Ryder, So many good choices. I like the Memoirs and the Mason Porcelain. Memoirs hides the plumbing, Mason gives you towel hanging. Both in complementary style of toilet I think you ordered. Others good too if availability issues. Good bathroom paint an excellent solution. I have used these types sinks, don’t remember any back splashes. Not tight against the wall.

• teddie2

Another option I might have is to do a few tiles just under the medicine cabinet.

I have see that in some pictures that look good but in some it looks terrible like here

https://bluestarrgallery.blogspot.com/2016/01/bathroom-sink-back-splash.html

Not sure what to do.. Also went today to look at paint and I am trying to keep it light, not sure if I should do pure white or a light grey. I would prefer the grey but trying to match it to the shower tiles and its impossible!

• A M

No, don't do that. There are a few pedestal sinks with "built in" backsplashes. Maybe something like this?

teddie2 thanked A M
  • teddie2

I have seen them dint like them though that one looks better. Why are you saying no don't do a backsplash behind or just don't do that one in the pic? I wouldn't it looks terrible but have seen some not so bad. Someone used clear glass tiles and it actually looked

• teddie2

AM where was the first from?

• A M

@teddie2 - sorry, yes that picture in the link was a good example of what you don’t want to do. The first sink is from thebathoutlet.com or build.com or perigold.com (search for ”CeraStyle”) and it does come in 3 or 4 different sizes. The second is from rejuvenation.com

https://www.thebathoutlet.com/bathroom-sink-classic-style-white-ceramic-pedestal-sink-cerastyle-030300-ped/product/43614

teddie2 thanked A M
  • teddie2

Unfortunately, the one I liked above is too deep I need something 19 or less in depth.

• teddie2

I looked at the backsplashed pedestals the other day and now appealed to me or did not fit or did not have enough counter space. That's why I like Memoir. It hasxaxwidecflat surface to put soap and toothbrushes.

• RedRyder

Leave the wall without tiles. I didn’t do a kitchen backsplash for over a year and just wiped it clean. You’ll never make a bathroom wall as messy as a kitchen wall. If after a year you still feel you need something, come back with photos and you’ll get more ideas. I like a pedestal sink to have the limelight so I would not tile behind it unless the whole wall was tiled anyway.

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • RedRyder

This is what I’m referring to:

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • teddie2

Slowly getting there here's a picture of the floor and new window I'm loving both any advice about what covering to put on the window that will not block out all that beautiful natural light? Something that can handle bathroom humidity.

• teddie2

BTW got a great grey for the walls!

• Suki Mom

I don’t see a picture?

teddie2 thanked Suki Mom
  • teddie2

Sorry I attached it I will try again

• teddie2

• teddie2

There you go

• marylut

Love the floor! Go lighter than you think with the gray paint. Looks like the window will be fine without any window treatment, unless you want a fabric padded valance between ceiling and top of window trim.

teddie2 thanked marylut
  • marylut

Or are you worried about lack of privacy when jalousies are open?

teddie2 thanked marylut
  • RedRyder

Floor is gorgeous! Not sure about what type of window treatment you need since it doesn’t look like there is clear glass that will cause a privacy issue. Once the room is done, it will be easier to figure out a decorative window treatment.
    Agree with @marylut that your gray walls need to “whisper” gray. Too dark and the room will close in on you. What paint are you considering?

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • shanhouse

Love how it is coming together. I recently did a similar small bathroom reno. I did a small backsplash behind a console sink. Although not for everyone, I tried not having the backsplash and after a couple of weeks added it. I also chose a similar medicine cabinet & basket weave floor tile to what you are using.

teddie2 thanked shanhouse
  • teddie2

Thanks all.. it would not be coming together so well without everyones help particuarly those who started out with me at the beginning and patiently helped me through this .. and my obsessiveness!.. I am happy with the outcome so far.. just having to figure out a few things

the tiling behind the sink... thanks shanhouse for sharing.. I like your sink I almost got one like that. I am also doing a grey cover for my baseboard heating.. it actually has a little flare to it... I will post when all is done.

since I am seeing that i really should tile behind (my h is a wet mess) the pros all said go with the tile from the shower.. but I am not sure how to pattern the 8 by 24 tiles behind the sink. RedRyder, I know you said leave it bare and I had intially planned to do that but then too many people told me that would be a mistake sooo I gave in but now not sure the best way to lay them on the wall and I know my guy is going to say its up to me:) SO any thoughts on that. I put the question out there to the tiling pros but no assist on that question yet.

Also, where to put the towel bar? Add it to the glass door when they make it or put it on the wall opposite the shower.. or a hook on the little wall just outside the shower on the left (might be too far away) And the window treatment.. yes its clear glass and a privacy issue so I need something ... and need to have them measure and order soon as it can take awhile to get. Help with any or all of these questions helpful! Most impt though is the tiling!

Oh and the grey paint I am using is Bher Sterling.. it matches perfectly with the tiles.. I put a sample up to be sure.. It does not look too dark.. and I figure it the worst happens and it feels closed in after a bit that is an easy thing to change up .. in a day!.

• husterd

Never have enough towel bars. Start with simple one on stationary part of glass door- easy safe reach, Hook for robe/clothes and then another towel bar for hand towels. Not an expert with tiles but seems tiles should be laid out in same pattern as shower, just in the recessed area stopping above sink but not too high to interfere with lights and mirror. Need other more experienced opinions on the tile layout.

teddie2 thanked husterd
  • teddie2

So bar on the glass the little wall .put a hook and yes I planned to do a bar next to the sink I had one there before. Thanks

Someone did give some good layout suggestions. More of a staggard look.

It might be best.

• RedRyder

What is the tile inside the shower again? I see the floor is basketweave, which I think would look weird on the wall at the sink. What about a simple white subway tile at the sink, with white grout, just to be a “water-catching” wall cover? If you put up a colored tile, it will be startling. I like what @shanhouse did because the white tile blends with the sink.

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • teddie2

Thanks RedRyder I did suggest

using a white tile different from the others and everyone said don't do it. Dont add another element. Too much going on in a small room.. Two pros both said stay with the shower tiles

• husterd

Do shower wall tiles have a matching different size? Many do. In either case I would think about tiling the whole “3 sided inset surround” for sink from floor up to a proper height stopping for mirror and lights. Most hidden by sink but would look like a design feature as well as wall protection and not an added on. Glad you did shower floor same as bath floor. Illusion bath is bigger.

teddie2 thanked husterd
  • teddie2

The second picture shows large format tile in a small space. It looks great. I am not a fan of the dark colors but the idea of tiles up the wall works

https://www.jacksondesignandremodeling.com/2015/07/big-ideas-small-spaces-3-ways-make-powder-room-small-bath-memorable/

• husterd

Yes, pic shows it can not just work but look really good with your large format tile. Back only, not the sides. Bottom tiles are horizontal like your shower. Do same stopping at appropriate point. You have mirror and lights to go above the tile. Installing those over tile may be tricky. Really like to hear comments from RedRyder and marylut.

teddie2 thanked husterd
  • teddie2

Why would it be tricky? Nothing is on the wall now He will tile first

• husterd

I was assuming installing lights over the tile required cutting the tile which needed precision and extra care. The mirror just hangs?

teddie2 thanked husterd
  • RedRyder

Yes, tiling the whole wall where the sink goes is a great idea. The large format tile can work but I would still inquire about a slightly smaller size for ease of installation. You have a much smaller wall area where the sink is and yes, as @husterd is saying, there is a hole in the wall for the medicine cabinet and two holes will be drilled into the tile for the sconces. Easier to do that wall with a smaller version. If there isn’t one, your tiler will figure it out but installing tiles there is nothing like the walls of shower. I think it will give a finished look to the sink area. Great idea. And the basketweave floor is going to be stunning. It’s a favorite of mine as well!

teddie2 thanked RedRyder
  • teddie2

Thank you both!!