Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prius2ny

Sew two sofa/couch seat cushions into one bench cushion?

prius2ny
2 years ago

I really like the idea of a simple one-seat bench cushion for a sofa/couch.

Any sewing experts here know if it is doable to sew the fabric of two seat cushions into one, and similarly sew the foam/polyester/down filling inside into one?

Of course the seat cushions are removable via a zipper.

Not sure if this is a crazy idea or if it would even yield a comfortable seat cushion.

Comments (11)

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Reusing the fabric would probably be difficult as there wouldn’t be enough to make proper seams nor would it look like a single cushion. Now you could use new fabric to create a single seat cushion. Foam cannot always be glued effectively, so you’d need a new exact sized piece. I don’t know what you paid for the sofa but adapting this might be too costly unless you have a Mom (like I do) that has experience in Furniture recovering.

prius2ny thanked Sharon Fullen
  • Lars
    2 years ago

You should have a single piece of foam for the bench cushion, and then you can have the polyester/down fill go over that. Without some structure to even spread out the fill, it would tend to get lumpy and uneven.

It's easy enough to buy upholstery foam, and you can cut it with a long serrated knife, like a bread knife.

Single cushions are made differently from bench cushions, and so I do not think it is a good idea simply to combine two of them to make one. At best, you would have an indentation in the middle.

prius2ny thanked Lars
  • justcallmepool
    2 years ago

There are some good foam spray adhesives out there. I used some to glue 2 cut scraps into one chair seat. But sometimes couch cushions are rounded on the edges, which wouldn't work good for an overall smooth look imo. Do the covers come off for you to inspect the foam inside? That would be the first step to check out.

If they are equal sizes with smooth cuts and 90 corners, then I'd probably try gluing them together first and see how it looks and works. Worst case, it sucks and you buy new foam, which you may do anyway.

I have a local foam store where I purchase my supplies, so maybe google that in your area. They have all kinds of foam options (thickness, firmness, etc) with higher quality at competitive prices to hobby stores.

As far as reusing the fabric, I don't think that would look good to have a seam down the middle, plus you wouldn't have any allowances left. So buy new of that.

I have found many great tutorials and products on this website, including this adhesive.

adhesive: https://www.sailrite.com/NG633-Foam-Lock-Spray-Adhesive-12oz

prius2ny thanked justcallmepool
  • Catrina Alister
    2 years ago

this probably will be a difficult project. Single cushions are made in a different way than one seated. So I believe it will be better just to find the ready made design

• nicole___
    2 years ago

Yes....it can be done. 3M spray adhesive will bond the foam, then wrap it so the seam doesn't show. I combine foam to make cushions...ALL the time! ♥

prius2ny thanked nicole___
  • prius2ny
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi @nicole___, how do you wrap it? With what materials?

• prius2ny
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

very helpful, thank you!!!

I googled what the seat cushion is made out of:

Blend-down cushion: high-resiliency foam core wrapped in fiber, feather and down, covered by down-proof ticking.

I have extra fabric that I can use, just not sure if I can still combine the two seat cushions if it is wrapped with "down-proof ticking" and "fiber/feather/down wrap" underneath the downproof ticking.

My friend is giving away this couch- it is comfortable otherwise, however I just wanted to know if I can DIY the two seat cushions into one singular bench cushion.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

prius2ny.....You can design anything and make it into anything! No limits! I love upholstery only because I like custom pieces. ♥ ie: I just completed these 2 breakfast bar stools. The seats were wrapped with poly to give the curves a smooth rounded edge .....and...they used to have matching cloth seats. I added more poly batting down the center to give it a higher crown.

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Prius, you will remove the wrapping and ticking from the foam cushions before adhering them together. Then rewrap with similar.

Nicole, those chairs look great! I'd love to see anything else you've upholstered. And that tip of using scraps is genius.

prius2ny thanked justcallmepool
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

@justcallmepool......OK! ☺ I started a file called "My upholstery projects"....just click on my name to see the file. ♥