Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreajringel

Fireplace Tile Selection Guidance

Andie Jr
2 years ago

I would welcome any guidance on design and material selection for what is essentially a blank slate for my fireplace surround and hearth area. Everything in this room will be changing and is outlined below.

First picture is my living room currently. All is as it was when we moved in and we're finally changing it all.

Staying:

Windows themselves will remain the dark brown/black color.

Layout - Staying the same but a new long sectional will span that whole window wall rather than the two mis-matched couches which were just put there to test out the new layout.

Changing: Everything else.

Furniture - None of what is in this photo will remain. New sectional is on order, shown in second photo. (Only change is a snuggler/wedge type seat on the right end)

Flooring - Karastan LVP Curated Grain Natural is on order, no changing that.

Paint - Right now I like Eaglet Beige (SW), but am open to suggestions (see inspiration photo for the look I'm shooting for)

Window Treatments - Open to suggestions. Thinking a natural cane type roman shade.

Fireplace Hearth and Surround - I can do anything I want with this thing and I am STRUGGLING with material selection and design. I am wavering between keeping everything very monotone, white and warm tan with natural wood accents (see my inspiration photo) or using this fireplace as an opportunity to create a bolder focal point. We NEVER use the fireplace, in fact my kids' play kitchen is currently sitting on the hearth right in front of it, but that doesn't mean we aren't open to it being a beautiful point in our room. The black grille/front/doors/whatever will stay (I think...unless there are options I'm unware of. There is a blower on the bottom.)

This is a very long room with the TV now on the far end to the right out of this photo's frame (the wall parallel to the window wall). The TV used to be where the TV mount is still hanging to the left of the fireplace. But this layout works better for us and gives us lots of space to let our kids play. I know I could do a super great sitting room layout or something, but it is our main living room and needs to be functional for that as well as be a welcoming place for guests.

The couch we have on order. Will fill the entire window wall and have an angled cuddler seat on the right end.

The inspiration photo. I like the airy, cozy, warmth and use of natural woods and plants to accent. I naturally can't have a solid block of wood that a dining table provides, so I think some of that interest needs to come from the fireplace, but I'm afraid of doing too much with it.

I welcome any and all suggestions, guidance, designs. I have had a hard time finding any designers who have time to provide for product selection right now, so I'm coming here for some help.

Right now, I'm considering a 12"x4" white picket field tile for the hearth section and a smaller, glazed/dimensional picket for the surround (also white) and then some sort of white trim around the tile and a natural wood mantel. Just make it an all white accent with some natural wood. But I'm having a hard time visualizing it and I worry the two different tiles would not work well together.

If you've made it this far, THANK YOU for your time :-)

Comments (2)

• everdebz
    2 years ago

bump

• Andie Jr
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, kind bumper :-)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County