Software
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_behrens

yes or no …opinions wanted

4 years ago

I painted this. My furniture is very colorful.

Comments (30)

  • 4 years ago

    If you like it that's all that really matters. Not my taste at all but that's besides the point.

  • 4 years ago

    IMHO the floors have a streaky look to them so I think the paint would look a lot better in a solid color. Of course your opinion is the one that matters most.

  • 4 years ago

    Ditto.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think if you really want an opinion you need to post how this connects to your other spaces since you mention colorful furniture lets see it. But in the end if you love it that really is all that matters. I am curious why you did an all white kitchen when you like color I probably would have done really fun colored stools.

  • 4 years ago

    Do you have kids sitting there?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    If you like it, why do you need the opinions of others?

  • 4 years ago

    The striped finish looks like kids have been rubbing their shoes on the island. I’d prefer a solid color, even a bright solid color that matches your other solid-colored furniture. Since you haven’t shown your “colorful furniture”, I can’t suggest what color. What is the style of the adjacent rooms?

  • 4 years ago

    Yea I don't like the stripes. A solid color, I think would look better

  • 4 years ago

    No I don't like it.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes

  • 4 years ago

    I have always liked the green/blue color combo on some things. However why in the heck did you make it look dirty and stained? It will get that way over time, start out having it look new and let it get the "distressed" look naturally.

  • 4 years ago

    No, but it's your house, so does my opinion even matter!

  • 4 years ago

    I really like Black_Rain_11’s inspiration picks to add color with the stools and pottery: sassy and unexpected!!

  • 4 years ago

    I think you did a great job! However, i think the cabinet hardware is causing a disconnect with your funky vibe. Changing that might help marry the design.

  • 4 years ago

    I don't care for it personally. I love the colors but not the incongruent styles going on in your kitchen.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I really hate to say, but I hope it helps. There is no connection style or color wise to the rest of kitchen, it feels random, and almost looks scuffed or worn (I thought it was your before picture) and really busy with flooring. You had a creative vision and if you ended up with what you wanted (I’m sure it took a lot of time) then enjoy it. I would have created a fresh common thread with your love of color.




  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    It would be fine...........outside! In an outdoor kitchen.

  • 4 years ago

    I think the distressing makes it look dirty, and the stripes are too much with the lines in your floors. I'd choose one of the colors, and paint it a solid color. Your stools will stand out more that way, also.

  • 4 years ago

    I agree it is too busy with the floors. Pick one of the colors, and don’t distress it. Pick up that same color in some accessories.

  • 4 years ago

    With all your work involved, I’d keep it and add some of the color elsewhere in the kitchen so its not the only color there…cannisters, pottery, etc. Your kitchen feels more formal, but the painting for me feels more casual.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank u guys for all your comments. I had the wall plain turquoise before I did the stripes. I’m going back to that. I think the stripes make it look like there is a circus going on in here. Like one of u said the stools really stood out against that when it was solid turquoise. I’d love to paint my place white but people r telling me not to do it. I hate the drabby grey that it is. I think all my colors would pop better against a white backdrop like the pictures above. Thanks again.

  • 4 years ago

    Follow your instincts- white would be so fresh!

  • 4 years ago

    It’s cabana looking. I would have used white and bits of turquoise showing through here and there, well blended.

  • 4 years ago

    Peel and stick wallpaper might work for you - something that blends all your colors. Like others have said - Repeating some of that color in the kitchen with a runner or towels, even some small art propped against the tile wall will make it feel more pulled together:

    https://www.westelm.com/m/products/watercolor-leaves-removable-wallpaper-d8342/

  • 4 years ago

    The solid turquoise —not distressed— would look good as the accent to the white you have. There are several sources for turquoise items that would work on the counters to bring more color into your kitchen — Fiestaware has turquoise, lemongrass and daffodil which would look great together. Also Ree Drummond/Pioneer Woman has products that are bright and colorful. A little will go a long way.

  • 4 years ago

    It looks like you don't have a backsplash. If not, add one to help with the 'drabby grey'

  • 4 years ago

    I would paint it a solid neutral color and then add your pops of color with barstools and accessories as in the pictures above. By going that route, you’re able to bring in a colorful playfulness (if that makes sense) without it looking cheap or like it belongs in a child’s room. All of the other elements in your kitchen are very nice.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think a softer turquoise will have a longer lifespan and a backsplash is a great way to add color and interest.




    Teal is a great color, feels less ordinary and would be great with your floors.



  • 4 years ago

    I think color is fun! And it’s easy to change. I love it and think you should do more. Paint the bar stools too. Some people are afraid of color and would do solid or all white very boring if you ask me. Keep with the color it looks awesome it shows your artistic talents