Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perrettak

help with the three color rule for my bathroom

perrettak
2 years ago

I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation
My bathroom will turn into a wet room
I will have white matte stacked tiles on three of the walls. The center wall of the shower is matte turquoise glass tile wall and matte black mosaic tiles on the floor.
I will have a wall mounted sink ( no vanity)
I was going to make the door, a cabinet door and the ceiling high gloss alabaster white

I am thinking about breaking up all the white by staining the door a wood stain and the cabinets doors a deep navy blue and having the ceiling still high gloss white

If I go with this change, will this be too many colors in this bathroom?

Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are the three colors and the door I will stain a little darker

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

I would paint the door white.

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so painting the door high gloss white with the ceiling would work?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You already have 3 colors in the shower for no reason I can see, I need to see the whole space and also why is this now a wet room which BTW should not have a wood door IMO. and no high gloss for a ceiling it will show every little tiny imperfection and cast all kinds of weird shadows

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I had my bathroom remodeled six years ago. For six years I have been disappointed over the work done to the bathroom. I decided I wanted a curbless shower. I never used my tub, which was one of the reasons I wanted to go this way
    My bathroom is considered compact. I had the room gutted and walls squared and straightedge.
    What type of door should I have for this room?
    I also thought high gloss paint would act as a water repellent
    I do have three colors already, I wanted to know about adding a fourth color to the cabinets or I should just paint both white and keep it to the three colors
    I have attached a video of what is happening so far

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry I thought I could attach a video

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I agree a high gloss paint will help to some degree but honestly a shower with a curb and a nice glass door is a much better look and a lot less work everytime you shower . Unless you are in a wheel chair really no real benefit to a curbless shower IMHO. BTW I have never heard of the 3 color rule .

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I can’t visualize having a navy cabinet door when there’s a black floor in the shower. What color will the shower fixtures and faucet be? These are your 4th color.

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I had set in my head and design I was going to make the door and the cabinet doors white

Yesterday the tiler asked me was I keeping the door color. I told her my plans. She said, “that would be too much white” I then started second guessing myself

I read this online about a three color max in a bathroom

To save money I wanted to reuse some items from my last renovation ( it was two items) They happen to be chrome. So all the fixtures will be chrome
    I just took this picture- she is now starting work on the floor

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Because my bathroom is compact. I will not use a glass door. I am reusing my ceiling shower rod. I also purchased a slightly longer curtain

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Stick to the black, white, and light aqua colors. They work well together, and there is no need to add more colors. Use a white shower curtain. I think you can paint the ceiling, door, and cabinet all white. You can add in the light aqua with your towels and a rug. Or possibly paint your cabinet light aqua like the tiles, depending on whether or not you want to highlight it.

• perrettak
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for everyone’s comments

I am going to stick to my original plan of a white door, cabinet doors and ceiling
    I will use a white shower curtain
    The only other color I may use is a color rug