Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_50088257543

Goodman Furnace

NJ S
2 years ago

While changing the traditional Honeywell thermostat to a nest E thermostat the fan and the furnace turned off and now replacing the old wiring with the old Honeywell thermostat the system is still down. Not sure what exactly is wrong, can some one please guide me. Attaching some images for connections and wires. Any questions and trouble shooting tips are welcome. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Comments (7)

• mike_home
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Are the photos of the Honeywell thermostat before you remove it, or after you reinstalled it? The red wire connection to R and Rc does not look good. You will need the twist the red wire around the jumper loop for a more solid connection. Try pushing on the connection to see if it makes the thermostat respond.

As for the Nest E thermostat you don't have a C wire. It supposed to work without one but I would not trust that it will.

• NJ S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Mike. The photos of the Honeywell thermostat is before reinstalling and reinstated as is. Right now there is no power on any wire. Do you know why? Is there a safety switch in the furnace?

• mike_home
    2 years ago

There should be a power switch next to the furnace. Check to see if that is turned on. The furnace has an access panel. That panel usually controls a safety switch. Make sure the panel is securely in place so the safety switch is engaged.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

The wiring diagram on page 8 of the installation instructions (which appears different than the one at bit of which is included on the photo you posted) shows a door switch so, as suggested above, you might want to check whether that switch is closed. Also, with that switch closed, you might check for 24 volts between the XFMR-R and XFMR-C terminals on the circuit board. And, I think, between the R and C terminals on the circuit board.

• NJ S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Mike_home and wdcruise, I got a tech come and check it and all checks completed he stated that the transformer is not having any current Comming out of it and may be burned or tossed out. There are no switches on the outside or anything tripped. Looks like I am in a deep problem.

• mike_home
    2 years ago

If you didn't turn off the power when you disconnected the original thermostat it is possible you may have shorted a wire and damaged the transformer. Does this control board have a fuse? If it does the fix may be replacing the fuse.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

"he stated that the transformer is not having any current"

Look at the 24 volt transformer and get the model number. You can buy a new one on Amazon for less than $30. You can install it yourself; it's held in place with two screws and the wires have push-on connectors.