Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicola_tan

What more can I do with this space???

13 years ago
What more can I add in this living room? I think i got too small furnitures for it that it has too much space, mostly on the bay window area, and do you think that round mirror in the picture would look good with that small couch?what lamp should I replace too I think those white lamp are too small.... Need your opinions... Thanks

Comments (34)

  • 13 years ago
    Bump
  • 13 years ago
    You have the basics but you still need to "decorate." Hang the mirror over the sofa and remove the "builder's special" light. Put in a semi-flush drum fixture or a pendant that will hang above your coffee table. Yes, the lamps are too small and the end tables too short for the high arms on that sofa. The sofa can use the coffee table for placing a drink, book, etc, so I would buy a new round table to put between the two chairs. A floor lamp would work in the corner by the sofa. Drapery panels would soften and add a lot. Perhaps in the smoky blue/green/gray from the chairs - you need more color. That shade would look good in pillows for the sofa and in an area rug to anchor the seating. To open the space you could use the chairs at the bay window side. I don't see much in the way of casegoods - sofa table, desk console, etc. I'm sure you have two other walls in this space that could use furnishing.
  • 13 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste thanks.. No other walks though its an open concept with the formal dining and foyer... I just think the two chair looks small if placed in the window area together as for a table in between I was thinking of getting a garden stool
  • 13 years ago
    Walls I mean not walks
  • 13 years ago
    I love the furniture that you have so far! The couch could possibly be a bit longer, but it works. Maybe taller end tables so they are closer to the height of the couch arms and one can comfortably place a drink on them when sitting there. Or for a cheaper route, place the lamps on stacked books to add height. The mirror is pretty. You could even create a collage of framed art around it to fill up the space above the couch. How about placing the 2 chairs in the bay window area with a small table between them and then across from those on the other side of the coffee table(also love) another piece of furniture. Maybe a couple of solid colored chairs or something, then you get more seating. (maybe look around on houzz for furniture ideas/placement) That is something you can get eventually as that is spending more money:) Simple panel curtains would look beautiful on the windows or even a tailored valance, either of them could be in the color family that is on the chairs. Hope this gives you some good suggestions to inspire you.
  • 13 years ago
    decoenthusiaste mentioned the lighting which I forgot to comment on:) Definitely replace the tiny flushmount for something with more substance and drama. Like a pretty chandelier, look on pottery barn or restoration hardware for some good ideas.
  • 13 years ago
    @joanpaulson thank you...we were thinking the other way around like place those patterned chairs on the other side and look for a larger chair on the bay window area, we were thinking of the ikea wing back chair? As for the side of the mirror I'm thinking of using these avian frames... What do you think? :)
  • 13 years ago
    Oooohh, love that chair! It's been a while since I looked at Ikea as we don't need anything right now. That would work. We have rearanged our furniture a couple times to decide what we like and what works in our space, so definitely consider what you like and just know you can always try something different. I love nature prints too and i love the birds. Those would add a nice pop of color to your walls.
  • 13 years ago
    And maybe a basket on the floor next to this chair to hold magazines/newspapers.
  • 13 years ago
    You need to add height and artwork. I"m not sure what's the space is opposite the bay window, but what about placing the chairs in the bay like someone suggested and then placing the sofa facing the chairs. Then you could use the sofa wall for something taller and more substantial, like a tall console or buffet with some statement lamps and a great piece of artwork above. It's a really pretty room and I love your furniture!
  • 13 years ago
    Put panels on ends of windows. Go a floor to ceiling peacock, satin fabric. On stainless rod. That will balance wall more. Get a big art in a teal, peacock. Ck overstock. Com should be tall you need color on that wall. Love mirror can use use on another wall. Pace chairs together opposite sofa. Coffee table 18" from sofa front. Get pillows in teal print. Put solid pillows in cream for chairs. I don't think furn is too small, but lamps are go very tall 24" with a silver base and cream drum style shade big. Add accents if silver and cream on coffee table. Like big bowl nd tall pots in teal.
  • 13 years ago
    Lets see other wall space. I see a white animal head which could be used. Put a small padded bench in bay window in black, velvet. Use what they call a half rod on windows only side windows will have a panel extend rod out pass window as much as you can.
  • 13 years ago
    I would like to see chest type end tables, instead of glass. Use one glass between your chairs. Don't angle chairs have them straight on. End table same wood as coffee table.taller bigger
  • 13 years ago
    Don't like grouping behind sofa. Hard to make lok right just go for big single painting. Just a bench in window, room to small for too much furn. Can you use mirror in entry?
  • 13 years ago
    You only need 2 panels for window one on each side window only.
  • 13 years ago
    Hang a teal color drum style chandelier. On ceiling. Drop 40" from ceiling.
  • 13 years ago
    @twinfield it's not possible to put sofa opposite bay window as it has dining set on that side:)
  • 13 years ago
    @travisinteriors here the opposite side... It's all open and here the deer head you see at the picture
  • 13 years ago
    @travisinteriors I've also been looking for a side tables that would match my coffee table but couldn't find one that's why I went with glass :)
  • 13 years ago
    Love the deer head put on wall in back of chairs, I think hard to tell add your nice mirror to entry center on wall. Add a console table . Walmart had one with wheels reclaimed wood look. For $179. Would look good right size to. Add same panels to dining rm as living rm peacock. Add some teal to table .
  • 13 years ago
    Add a palm to that corner where tools are in a black ceramic pot. That is where Deer will go take another pic of whole wall there.
  • 13 years ago
    Here it is the chair in the bay window area but so much space on the opposite side
  • 13 years ago
    Z Galleries has a teal very soft area rug that would brighten up entry. Use other one in a bathroom. I think it comes in 5 x 7 is that too big? Have to open door.
  • 13 years ago
    Take a pic of dining rm wall. M
  • 13 years ago
    It would look great floating back to the dining area. Consider getting a sofa table for behind the sofa. (a sofa table may be a serving table for the dining area on special occasions) I think I would put the chairs in the window area. If you are going to put a TV in here it would be great on that large wall with a credenza and floating shelves on the wall. I love your coffee table.
  • 13 years ago
    Where did you get coffee table? Glass ones seem to small. Try Zs. For tables.
  • 13 years ago
    Is a TV going in here? If so show.
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, here's all the surrounding areas...as you can see there's already a console table in the entry but on the other side... And the wall for the deer head is too small for it..
  • 13 years ago
    @travisinteriors I think 5x7 fits well...gonna check there website And no tv for this area...table is from world market
  • 13 years ago
    @Dar thanks... That's a great idea, gonna try it out...
  • 13 years ago
    Here's the dining area @travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    @travisinsteriors by the way what do you mean by half curtain rod... Do you mean does swing rods that they use on model homes???and I've been looking on other shades of green and not satin on curtain ( hubby hates satin:( ) like these you think would work? We already have the one one but we can always return it
  • 13 years ago
    We already have the white one I mean... :D