Software
Houzz Logo Print
amy_cali

would you paint this small bathroom ceiling?

13 years ago
I would like to paint my bathroom ceiling a subtle metallic or pearl high gloss pale grey and walls in a similar color in eggshell separated by crown molding. Do you think this will help reflect light or just close in an already small space? Note: I am going for a modern look with just a touch of hollywood regency glam. I've attached mid-reno bathroom pics as well as pics of the mirror, sconces and shower door already purchased. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice. Looking forward to hearing your input.

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Don't count on metallic paint reflection to increase luminance in the bathroom. It won't do that to any significant degree, and if it is, it will by defintion, appear sparkly, which I don't think is what you mean by "Hollywood regency glam" (although it could, be!?) Color selection will do more to brighten a space in that regard, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions here soon!

    My gut is telling me tile on that shower ceiling my modernize things a bit, though.
    Amy Cali thanked ReSquare Architecture + Construction
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If possible, I would go with a shade or two lighter. It depends on how light your pale gray is. The pearl/gloss finish will give more reflection and light, so that's good. In any case, you want to avoid a cave feeling. Please note that I am in favor of white ceilings -- people seem to have strong feelings on this subject.

    How high is your ceiling? If it is on the low side, then you definitely want to keep it lighter than your walls.
    Amy Cali thanked User
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That should not be a problem at all. having the same color on ceiling and walls make the space look larger. What brand paint are you using?? Just make sure that the metallic paint can withstand all the moisture that will collect on the walls after showering. Do you have good ventilation??
    Amy Cali thanked R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
  • 13 years ago
    thanks resquare def wasn't thinking mirror ball sparkles lol. what color would you paint the ceiling?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the mirror, shower door and light you have chosen for the bathroom. Paint often times does close in a room. Light reflection is better done with mirrors and lighting. I would think about more places to add that spark-perhaps a small chandelier- not sure as I do not know room dimensions. Maybe add mirror strips on another wall in the room? Can you do some uplighting? Hope that helps.
    Amy Cali thanked Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
  • 13 years ago
    Creatively Yours - what do you think about a mirror opposite the window?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd go with the grey on the ceiling. Sometimes the darker colors there can make the ceiling soar. You've made great choices so far and you will continue to. It's lovely already.
    Curious to know what Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design thinks. She's great with color.
    Amy Cali thanked Maguire
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would reaffirm the comment jss01: the more sheen on the ceiling, the more imperfections will show, so look at the ceiling closely, in terms of what the sheen will do to it, before you commit to the high lustre there. Additionally, I am assured by all the painting contractors I know that painting a metallic on the ceiling is problematic at the corners where it cannot be rolled. Unless you do a painstaking spray application in layers, which is expensive, you will have brush marks in the corners affecting the metallic. That would in most cases lead you to instead take a faux finish approach in a metallic - with brush strokes all over in different directions, to make the problem look intentional.
    Amy Cali thanked Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I know you asked Creatively Yours, but since she hasn't responded yet - the key thing about mirror placement is asking what does it reflect. Opposite a window usually works, because it gives you two windows. Unfortunately, many times you can start to hang a mirror and discover it causes a problem, rather than solving one. So check the view in the mirror before you hang it.
    Amy Cali thanked Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
  • 13 years ago
    Go for it great idea on paint on ceiling. Will not close it up. I love the look.
  • 13 years ago
    Paint the ceiling the pearl, like you said in post. Love the gray shower good job. Great eye why do you need us? Lol
    Amy Cali thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    Yes mirror would work there.
    Amy Cali thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    Maguire and travisinteriors thanks for the compliment and the encouragement. thanks to all of you for your wonderful advice (i love this site!). I have decided to skip the metallic and go for the more sophisticated pearl finish. I'll post pics soon.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Here is a bathroom that we just finished. I think it might be similar to what you are trying to achieve. It's a Ralph Lauren Metallic paint (Blue Zircon), and yes the ceiling was painted also.

    Contemporary powder room · More Info