Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meena_okamoto

Help I regret this countertop with backsplash

Meena Okamoto
2 years ago

Can I fix this? We added a little kitchen in the basement of my parents house for my little growing family. Very cheap home Depot stock cabinets since we don't plan to live here forever. I still wanted it too look good though. But I regret getting this counter top with the backsplash...the cut out spot where my stove is is bothering me!! Is there anyway I can make this look better? We do plan on adding a subway tile backsplash as well.

Comments (21)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

ditto what @cek20335 said - that’s the fix for the back of stove.

ETA if those are preformed counter tops then not much can be done. A stove with controls on the raised back would’ve covered this. How about just installing subway tile as full to bottom of hood BS - I assume hood is yet to be installed. Then it would look intentional. No additonal tile BS over the current splash that’s connected to counter.

• Meena Okamoto
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cek20335 I don't think I can remove its attached the counter top. I imagine that it would maybe ruin the counter top if I sawed it off ?

• Susie Q
    2 years ago

I think your concerns will ease a bit once the subway tile is installed because it will help balance out the difference in depth/gap by the stovetop. You could even hang a command strip and put a wreath or other decor on the area over the stovetop once the subway tile is installed and then your eye will go to that item instead of the backsplash.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Meena Okamoto My vote is still for BS behind the stove only & a full wall to bottom of hood vent. No wreath or decor on it as will be grease catcher only & hide the pretty tile. Also addition of door hardware would be great.

• Fori
    2 years ago

It looks good! Just put the tile behind the stove, paint elsewhere.

• K R
    2 years ago

I would remove the 4 inch backsplash (a professional can easily remove it) and add your subway tile, all the way up. You’ll love it.

• Fori
    2 years ago

(The 4" backsplash is actually an integrated part of the laminate counter, right? Don't even think about removing it. It's practical, it looks nice, and of course, it doesn't come off. :P)

• cyc2001
    2 years ago
  • remodeling1840
    2 years ago

If the others will enlarge the picture, I think they will find the 4” backsplash is an integral part of the counter. It cannot be removed. For decades, we were happy with the Formica preformed counters as they are easy to clean. If budget is a concern, don’t add any tile above it. I don’t know that any of my previous house with the preformed counters even had anything behind the stove but paint! Easy to repaint if it gets too stained. If you want something else behind the stove, look at Menards, Home Depot, etc. for a safe metal backsplash. For the record, we lived in a custom built home for 18 years and never had a tile backsplash in the kitchen. We had no trouble selling it. You don’t need the expense of tile when you are raising your children unless it doesn’t affect your budget. I think the kitchen is quite attractive, more functional than many of the kitchens I had in previous years. I would have loved to cook in such a cute space.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

I think you did a great job, your kitchen is darling! I agree with a comment above to use a plain stainless steel panel behind the range. Good luck and enjoy your darling kitchen.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Agree just do something behind the range, nowhere else. Stainless steel backguard or tile, whichever you prefer, and then leave the rest painted. Nice job matching the white of the range!

• roarah
    2 years ago

I am really digging kitchens without tile backsplashes lately. Paint and call it done.

Can you add i piece of the same surface as the counters behind the range?

• Kate
    2 years ago

I agree with some other posters that said to tile only behind the stove all the way up to the hood and paint everywhere else. Very cute.

• Meena Okamoto
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I appreciate all your help and suggestions! But the tile was already ordered and installed the next morning after I posted this picture ὢ9 
    So the only tiling the back of the stove is not an option. I'm thinking maybe I'll do some decal on the tile just in the back of the stove what to you think?

• missb_remodeling
    2 years ago

I would leave it as it. You won't notice it.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

agree with @missb_remodeling leave it as is. If it won’t be tiled up to bottom of hood vent then add more tile so it does finish that space.

• Fori
    2 years ago

It still looks good. I don't have that hate for a 4" splash with tile above that many do--it's really practical and it looks fine here.

I do see your issue with the gap behind the range. A decal won't hold up, but you can plop something decorative there like a tray. Or just leave it. We're noticing it because you asked us to. :)

• Susie Q
    2 years ago

I really like the way it has all come together!

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I would not want a decal for two reasons. One, anything applied will come off with enough cleaning. Two, you can add color and interest with accessories such as containers fro spatulas, cooking utensils, etc. The white is a classic.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

The post formed integrated backsplash cannot be removed to flush with the deck practically speaking, however, it could be lowered to 3/4" high or so and be capped. Tile on top of that will look fine.