Software
Houzz Logo Print
aljameela

Paint yellowed maple cabinets white, or…..?

4 years ago

I have a painter lined up to paint these cabinets in a couple of weeks. I was set on white but my daughter, who is visiting thinks they will look cold and sterile.

The island has already been painted.

I’m not interested in refacing the doors, as I had a bid done and don’t want to spend the money.

Does anyone have any input as to the white ? I want something that won’t be out of style in two seconds so wasn’t planning on a color. But maybe? I will also add hardware once painted.

Thanks for any insight folks!

Comments (20)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Listen to your daughter. Leave the wood alone.

  • 4 years ago

    How about a softer off white like Benjamin Moore dove white or SW alabaster?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Sometimes you can turn the doors around, wood putty the holes, etc. Flip the doors and put the cathedral detail inside the cabinet and the reverse side would relate better to the drawers and lowers. I'd do that first if possible and see how you feel about the wood tone. After that, consider painting only the lowers and leaving uppers flipped and wood tone.

  • 4 years ago

    Shawn c I considered that idea but since the trim is white I didn’t think it would look good. Plus brand new white ‘fridge

    Lori A. Sawaya flipping the doors isn’t an option. Thanks though.

  • 4 years ago

    Nothing wrong with the cabinets. Look to be good quality and good condition. I would leave them be. They add warmth to your kitchen.

  • 4 years ago

    Maybe try adding hardware/pulls to your cabinets. You didn't ask but I love your backsplash! If you must paint maybe try a warm grey or greige?

  • 4 years ago

    Does anyone know about something online to digitally imagine this painted white?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Ive seen some older cabs painted a very light sage green. it was one of the better transformations . the key was the use of the total color immersion of all the cabs then hardware and things like accesories /lighting /a few things on display only . I think id leave island as its done and search green for all the remaining cabs. upgrade the floor mats to a pattern . find a solor shade w a leafy botanical textile or geometric w greens whites maybe blues thrown in. then on to hardware. backsplash is tonal greens so continue and keep it light w paint but go ahead and paint. i think youll like it . wish i could recall the post w this . it was a few mo ago. time flies.

  • 4 years ago

    Perhaps paint the lower cabs white and leave the upper cabs alone. Match the white to the color of your fridge. The color of the fridge looks like a warm white, whereas the white of the island looks cooler. Or….repaint the island in the pale green of the backsplash and leave the cabinets alone.

  • 4 years ago

    I would paint a color. Pick one that makes you smile. Or soothes you in calmness.

  • 4 years ago

    Looking over this post and at the picture again, everything in the room, looks yellowy. Please change your light bulbs to daylight type led bulbs. The ones now, are making the room, very yellow. You need a much whiter type lighting.

  • 4 years ago

    I like the white!

  • 4 years ago

    ​disclaimer: not a pro, just a dabbler.​​

    Question are you willing to change counters/backsplash. If so you can really change the whole look of that room. Subway tiles are super cheap.


      I looked online and white could work.  Though i would still paint that island green or blue to match your backsplash. It would help it keep some personality. You NEED pulls lol. They are like earrings, a little bling for your outfit. Get some that match your fridge pull. Honestly you should never worry about it being in style.  Just find something you love and it will always be in.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi all. I wanted to add an update. I did end up painting the cabinets while. The painter was very careful to match the. Olor of the new fridge. After about four visits to the house with samples, we decided that Sherwin Williams 6231 Rock Candy at 50% was the match.

    GE cafe #cafeappliances recommended the color on their site and though it was close, a little solution made it perfect.

    It looks a little cold now so I’ll tweak it with warm rugs and maybe change out the window covering, which some of you didn’t like (but it’s new and was expensive)

    I so appreciated each of you taking time to weigh in. What a wonderful resource. Thanks to you all!

  • 4 years ago

    I can’t seem to load more photos on this app

  • 4 years ago

    I figured it out….a few more

  • 4 years ago

    The color looks like a great match and the cabinets turned out wonderfully! The color works well with the wood floor and counter color, too.

  • 4 years ago

    Amazing honestly. You chose well

  • 4 years ago

    That looks marvelous. Well done!