Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgrossman35

Faucet too far from sink

sgrossman35
2 years ago

We are building my “dream” kitchen I have had in my head for years. We went to install the Rohl sink and realized the reach was very large (11 inches) for a sink about 16 inches deep. To accommodate the faucet to hit the middle of the sink bowl we set it on the counter about 4.5 inches back and drilled the holes. I can reach it, but not super comfortably. Now I’m regretting that we set it so far back and wished I swapped it out with another faucet with a shorter reach. I’m considering a Tapmaster to make the reach non issue except for the sprayer and disposal switch. This is also our prep sink so not primary sink but our primary sink is quite far from the fridge and range and will be mostly used for clean up. Any creative ideas on what to do here? Ideally I would have the faucet 2 inches closer. Am I overthinking this?

Comments (14)

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry I meant to say we went to install the Rohl Faucet and reach was too far into the sink.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

It’s actually hetter to have a faucet with a long reach. A faucet with a short reach means you have to bend forward more every time you rinse something. Faucets with short reaches is one reason that people get backache at the sink. So you should not have tried to ”correct” your faucet’s reach. But now that you drilled the holes that far back I think you are right that a Tapmaster is your best bet.

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. I guess I got confused with all of the advice to have the faucet centered over the drain or the middle of the sink. We centered it over the middle since the drain was even farther back. I thought if it was too close to the front of the sink (within 6 inches) water would splash all
    Over the place. Do you know anyone who has a Tapmaster? Seems to get good reviews here so I’m surprised no one I know has one.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Rip the front edge off the island, pull the island forward, install an apron front sink, and reprofile and polish the new front edge. I've done this.

Not to be harsh, but that's really a bad screw-up. Someone should have stopped you.

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I get it and my contractor tried to tell me but not really clearly. I was there when we drilled it and can definitely reach it but wish it was 1-2 inches closer. Probably doesn’t help that I am short and we have a thick miter for the countertop. Joseph do you know of any escutcheon plates I could order which are large and would cover a larger hole being drilled so the faucet could be brought forward? Maybe that’s an easier fix?

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have Neolith too so not easy to rip the front of the island off

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 years ago

You'll get used to it after about a week. Don't change anything.

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just talked to my designer and she said the same thing. To live in the kitchen for 6 months and see if it bothers me and then address it.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 years ago

I've moved kitchens from one end of the house to another for people who have lived in their homes over 20 years or more and they all tell me that after about a week, they don't even remember their old kitchens or routines. The only exception is light switches. It will take you 10 years to figure those out...lol.

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! My designer said this is the time in the process when people “hyper focus” on stuff. To let it go and then fix it down the line if it turns out to be a major problem. Seems like if that happens the Tapmaster is the best solution.

• chispa
    2 years ago

I always buy faucets with as much reach as possible and yours is longer than most faucets out there. Changing the faucet would have been the easiest solution, but these days with product shortages/delays it isn't easy either! I always ask installers to drill faucet holes as far forward as possible ... I repeat the request several times!

There are much worse "mistakes" you could have made! Live with it for 6 months and then decide if you need to make any changes. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• Fori
    2 years ago

Try it for a while before replacing. You might be long-armed enough to get used to it. It won't take 6 months. Either you'll have back pain or you won't.

If you have back pain, get a faucet with a longer SPOUT reach.

A Tapmaster (I love mine and recommend one whatever you end up with) will help with the handle but not holding items in the water flow.

• sgrossman35
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Fori thank you. The spout is good where it’s positioned in the bowl it’s only how far it is to reach the handle. So, sounds like a Tapmaster may be the best bet but I’ll try it for a while first.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"I get it and my contractor tried to tell me but not really clearly."

If your contractor doesn't have the ability to tell you "No.", you don't want him. I've got this going on right now. A lady is trying to insist that her top repair (not my screw-up) should be epoxy. No, we're going to grind the corner off or I'm not doing it and we are not negotiating.

"Maybe that’s an easier fix?"

A custom made sink with a faucet deck would look much better than an escutcheon.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths