Software
Houzz Logo Print
trufflies

Backsplash for quartz countertops

4 years ago

Hi everyone! I would love your advice regarding my newest kitchen dilemma.

I installed a white quartz with light veining for my kitchen countertops. We did a waterfall island plus cabinets are white so I was worried it would be too much white/same material if I extended the same countertops up as backsplash. But now I can’t find anything I really like and regret not just extending it!

Here’s my kitchen:

I don’t have enough material left over now and would have to buy another slab, but the company doesn’t even have it in stock at the moment and don’t know when they’ll be getting more.

So for other options..

It seems a lot of the small-scale backsplashes are becoming a bit dated.

I’ve considered a marble herringbone

Marble subway tiles

Concrete

And I would love to be a bit bold with the backsplash and incorporate some of that darker color that’s in my island cabinets. My FAVORITE look is this:

But I know it’s a bad idea to combine a quartz slab with a marble slab. Wondering if this would be okay if the marble looks different enough from the quartz (which it would in this case), or if I can find a quartz that has similar colors to this marble - would it be weird to combine two different looking quartz slabs?

Here are some slabs I looked at:

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

  • 4 years ago

    Oops couldn’t include more than one pic in original post. Here’s my fav look:

  • 4 years ago

    Some slabs I looked at:

  • 4 years ago

    Marble herringbone, marble subway, concrete options

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Yes, wait for the matching slab so the look stays consistent between the countertop, backsplash, and waterfall edging at island.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Nice kitchen! It is a perfectly neutral space for so many options to work as a backsplash.

    I am not loving the idea of a different real marble slab (not that they aren’t gorgeous!) or concrete being next to the marble look quartz countertop. The real marble herringbone tile however doesn’t bother me.

    The matching quartz would look good, but of course that is the predictable, safe choice. I think your instincts of it being too much white/all the same material were correct, but that is just my opinion. I don’t care how many ”pops of color” you add in fruit, flowers, rug that hides behind the island, towels, kitchenaid mixer, etc. The kitchen still remains a same ole, same ole, white kitchen with nothing unique or special to talk about.

    Are you open to a color? I mean other then blackish island? I can see a variety of beautiful colors (whatever is your favorite) bringing your kitchen to life! The backsplash tile would be the star of the show. When people walked in they would enthusiastically say, ”Wow! Your kitchen is amazing! I love the backsplash!” Again, jmho. Some poeple don’t like any color in the whole house. Well unless you call white, grey, beige, and black colors. Nothing wrong with that!

    You may have already thought of this, but just in case, here is something to consider. I know if it were me, I would at some point be removing the microwave over the cooktop. They have proven to be a hazard for ME to use. I am not short or physically limited, just super clumsy! I also know it would not get cleaned as much if I needed to get out the step stool to do it. But the main reason for me is that they do a pathetic job as a vent hood. As much as my husband likes to fry stuff, the white cabinets would have yellow stains and/or be sticky with grease in less then a week without a powerful hood running on full blast. I would be angry every time he cooked, knowing I would have to thoroughly clean the cabinets afterwards. Ask me how I know!

    So you might want to run whatever backsplash material behind the microwave to the bottom of the upper cabinet. Think how annoying to find out after the microwave dies, you cannot find a replacement the same height and you have a gap. With tile, you would probably have some extra pieces to fill it in. But with the solid backsplash, it could be an issue.

    Hmm, sorry I just thought about it and maybe that doesn’t work with the microwave in front?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    anything but plain white subway tile.

    This is one of my favorites.


    It's a carrara chevron in a honed, brushed and textured finish (easily sealed) It's BA631613 from Backsplash.com

    Here's a Calacatta marble in a chevron


    Encore Ceramics. they have so many styles and color, I can't post them all


    Dolomite in the diamond/dot pattern.


    Tilebar Harlequin in Natural White.


    Pratt and Larson scalloped Fan tile. this would look nice w/your island color



    how about some color? I think this is Fireclay tile Wave, in slate blue (comes in a million other colors)

    obviously there would be no white in between the tiles


  • 4 years ago

    I finally got a change to play around with a mockup for you. I am no designer, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. Like my stupid last post! Ugh! I read it over and I think it came off so dogmatic, which is not my nature at all! Please accept my humble apologies. Monochromatic color schemes and white on white kitchens can be very calming, serene, and beautiful. I must have been in colorful mood that day. And many people love their over the range microwaves. 😣

    So do I dare give my opinion again? Ok…here goes nothing. I think you may be on to something about using a different real stone slab for the backsplash. The one in your favorite kitchen photo is amazing! I am not sure, but it might be a calacatta gold backsplash?

    I wanted to try and mockup the two pretty slabs you were looking at, but the picture is taken too close up to work right. If you want to post photos of any full slabs you are peeking at, I can try them out in your kitchen. It works best with a straight on shot.

    Anyways, for what it’s worth, here is a calacatta gold slab that had some nice swirls. I like how the gold swirls are picking up the color of your faucet and legs on the stools. It also looks nice with your lighter wood floors. The darker swirls of gray pick up the color of the island cabinets. Light grays pick up the stainless.

    I am sure whatever you decide will look beautiful!


    Just for fun, I tried a couple tiles too.





    And finally something really wild!



  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Here we have a few of our recent kitchen designs. Please take note of the backsplashes used in each.

    Traditional Farmhouse New Construction · More Info


    West Coast Modern on the East Coast · More Info


    Casual Classic Remodel · More Info


    Charming Cottage · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Some interesting color or texture to break up the unremitting white.

  • 4 years ago

    I like the mock-up of the dark option.