Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaaam

Replacing couch cushions

lisaam
2 years ago

The slip-covered couches in my rental apartment have what ibelieve are down cushions. The cushions tend to flatten out after being sat on and need to be punched and fluffed up. I think it should be pretty straight forward to order precut foam to replace the current cushions.

i have watched one video on how to measure and on the use of dacron batting to wrap the cushions.

Does anyone here have experience or helpful insight.

Comments (25)

• amykath
    2 years ago

I have done something similar and it worked like a charm!

lisaam thanked amykath
  • Lars
    2 years ago

Can you link to the video that you have already watched?

lisaam thanked Lars
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

First step is to check availabilty of foam and the price. There was a shortage last year, I don’t know if things have changed?

lisaam thanked maddielee
  • lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lars, Ill go looking for the video (it was about 6 weeks ago). The guy did suggest 26# foam—-maybe thats a density rating? He also suggested to get foam that is 1” thicker than the height of the cushion when measuring from top to bottom of the welting.

On Az for 2 cut cushions looks like cost will be $300, I’ll get the specs on that product.

• lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This was my initial reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qxwvqy9eew

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

If this is too daunting for your to handle, an upholstery supply store or an upholsterer could handle this job. You would bring your cushions to them and they would measure and cut the foam, add the dacron and insert into your existing cover.

One thing the video does not address is cutting the foam to the exact measurement of your current cover. I use an electric knife, and while it works, the upholsterer has the appropriate tools. Finally, placing/fitting the cover over the foam is a bit like wresting an alligator. You will break a sweat! A trick I use is to first place the foam cushion in a plastic bag. The cushion will glide into the cover much easier. Once the cover is on, slide your hand around the foam pulling the plastic bag back out. This is especially useful on a T shaped seat cushion. Hope this helps.

lisaam thanked ratherbesewing
  • lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, ratherbee. I’ve removed the cushion covers before to wash the slips but the plastic bag as lubricant is a good idea.

I had thought of having an upholstery shop do this but someone told me it would be expensive so i figured i cold handle it. I think I will order the cushions cut to size. Mostly i wanted to insure that the foam will be appropriate and comfortable.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@lisaam I took one sofa seat cushion to a fabric and foam store near us just to see what they could do. They made a foam recommendation, cut the 3 cushions , dacron wrapped, sides, too, for $50/cushion. When I thought about buying materials and trying to cut the foam myself, then wrap, it seemed like a bargain. DH and I did the tussle to get them in the covers and managed without plastic bags but I had them ready just in case. Maybe you have a large fabric store near you that offers this kind of service.

lisaam thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Catperson
    2 years ago

I found ones at RedFoxUpholsteryFoam on Etsy after our cat peed on our couch. About $35 each.

lisaam thanked Catperson
  • Tina Marie
    2 years ago

We have a foam rubber "outlet" in a city near me and if you have something like that, I would first get a price on them cutting and wrapping your cushions. I had cushions done years ago and it really would not have paid me to do it myself. Or as DLM suggested - there is also an upholstery fabric shop in the same city that I believe also does this.

lisaam thanked Tina Marie
  • lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, ill do some more shopping around

• kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

The Foam Factory in Michigan does a great job. Bring your cushions to them and they will do them the way you want. Don't know if you have something like that by you.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

I was also going to suggest The Foam Factory. I used them to order dry fast foam for a swing bed. Talked on the phone with a lady that was helpful. I had ordered the cushion cover for the swing bed from Outdoor Fabrics .com. When I went to order cushion covers for our screened porch furniture this year, I saw Outdoor Fabrics is now doing foam, so I ordered both from them. I was pleased when everything arrived, so I ordered again for my sister's porch. Delivery was 6 weeks on both recent orders.

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

I used Foam Facotry as well. Their website tells you exactly how to measure your cushions. i ordered mine prewrapped with dacron. There are many different grades of foam, so perhaps read up on which would be best for you. I live in Canada and it cost me $180 US to have them cut, wrapped and shipped up here, for 3 cushions. They did a really good job

• lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks very much!

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Foam Factory??

or

The Foam Factory??

Or are they the same? Different websites but same address - huh?

• lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, ive noticed that but haven’t untangled the two. my susp. is same place w/ 2 similar names to increase the chances of landing there.

• daisychain Zn3b
    2 years ago

I did this years ago, but instead of wrapping in dacron, i bought a cheap polyfilled quilt and cut it up and wrapped the foam with it . i secured it with some heavy duty thread before inserting into cushions. i found it gave a nicer shape. i think i had to make the foam a bit smaller for it to fit.

lisaam thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

The Foam Factory is the website I've used. How funny they have two instead of sending people to whichever is the original website.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I got a skinnier piece of foam and inserted it into the center of the down - gave it more resilience and shape, but preserved the cushiness and give of the down.

• lisaam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

raeerare, the thought of opening up the down cushions fills me with dread of a big mess. you must be braver than i am.

• ratherbesewing
    2 years ago

I once made a small lumbar pillow from a larger feather pillow. Yes, it creates a mess!

lisaam thanked ratherbesewing
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

@lisaam unzip one cushion and see if just maybe the down is in a casing that is split down the middle. I have chairs with down cushions like that and there actually was a piece of foam in between them that I removed (poor foam choice, too stiff). It allows for the look of down with more support. I'll try to get a pic of what I'm talking about a bit later. Another possibility is put a thinner piece of your foam underneath the feathers to add support. The cushions will no longer be flippable and you might still have a bit of fluffing to do but I'd personally hate the idea of losing the look and feel of down completely.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

See if your down has this type of covering.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County