Software
Houzz Logo Print
paridhid

Need help with Fireplace Decor

4 years ago

Reposting because previous post got 0 traction. 😔

Really Need help with figuring out what type of art/decor should I place above the fireplace and how to decorate the mantle. I was thinking painting with a lot of white/cream and black thin frame because I love California casual, simple style.

Bonus - if you all have ideas to make simple edits to the fireplace, that would be great as well. We don’t have the budget to change/remove these stones for now.

Thank you and appreciate your help in advance. 🙏🏽

Comments (25)

  • 4 years ago

    Measure the area you want to cover and calculate what two-thirds of it. Maybe 36" square? Then go to art.com and look for something you like in that size. It doesn't have to be exact. You can choose a frame on the site and have it sent to you framed or have it framed locally if you don't like their options or want help choosing something.


    You can put a few tchotches on the mantel, too, but don't overdo it. There are a million pictures on Houzz showing how others have styled mantels so look there for inspiration. Art is very personal, so it's hard for someone else to tell you what you like.

  • 4 years ago

    One large piece of art or a mirror could be the central piece. Then, a couple of small items in one corner like a stack of pretty books, a candle, a vase. I'd experiment and see what you like best. Objects look best when arranged in 3s.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you @kandrewspa and @chris 802!

    Do you have any recommendations for some diy edits I could do myself to the stones surrounding the fireplace?

  • 4 years ago

    There are blogs out there talking about painting fireplace stones, but I've never tried it myself!

  • 4 years ago

    Hard for anyone to make recommendations on art when all we see is the FP. What is in the rest of the room? A general rule of thumb for art size on a FP is the size of the fire box although I think you could go larger. You could paint that wall a dark sage green for drama

  • 4 years ago

    Check with Romabio to see what might be done to the tiles. Art hung 5" above the mantel and no wider than the fire box will cover the size you need. If you're considering a mirror, remember that it should double something interesting or beautiful. Art is always a better choice, IMO.



  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO the FP is quite CA casual and honestly a really nice piece of art is all I would put above that FP.

  • 4 years ago

    If you want good advice we need to see how it plays into your whole room.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you for all the advice so far. Per your recommendation @RL Relocation LLC and @jck910, attaching some other pictures of the room here.

    Also, we are considering changing the section to a white/cream sofa at a later point.

  • 4 years ago

    What is left side of TV? What is under the loft railing opposite the sliders? Seems a rather random layout of furniture to me. I don't think you're ready to tackle the fireplace yet. Show us more pix (one from the upstairs looking down, one from sliders and one from bookcase looking to opposite walls. What other seating do you have?

  • 4 years ago

    @decoenthusiaste - attaching more pictures here.

    Few changes we plan on making already:

    1. The study table to the left of the bookshelf is temporary. Once we all start going back to work, I plan on getting rid of it.
    2. Sofa is too big. It’s legacy from the bigger house we had. We are open to changing it. But keep getting confused on the style/color, hence have not tackled it yet.

    Thank you in advance for your help.

  • 4 years ago

    A rug to ground your living room would be a good start. A distressed Persian or b&w Moroccan would work when you’ve decided your other Cali relaxed furniture.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would move the bookcase to the left of the TV and style it with 1/3 books, 1/3 large decor items and 1/3 open space. Then pull the sofa back some, leaving a basic traffic path to the sliders behind it. I don't think the sofa is too large if this is more of a relaxed media room and you don't entertain much. Size a rug by the chart below. The 6 dining chairs lead me to think you do have other people over socially. The rug under the dining table is too small but a bigger one will fall out into the traffic path. With those splay-legged chairs, you probably don't need a rug; they'll always tend to hang over the edges and that isn't a good look. I would go bare floors at the dining area but spend some $$$ to install a chandelier light over the table. Can the media center/bar piece go under the TV? Is it wide enough to anchor and balance it (25% wider than the TV)? If you can clear that large wall of furniture, it would make a wonderful gallery wall; start small and centered and then flesh it out all the way to the floor as you find pieces. And back to the fireplace; shop for art to love and then go from there. Second hand stores can be a good source of items for a gallery wall too. The link at the bottom has some great inspiration for you.


    https://www.houzz.com/photos/living/query/wall-art-gallery-wall/nqrwns/p/40?oq=wall%20art%20gallery%20wall&redirectoq=wall%20art%20gallery%20wall

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Fireplace as it is has a rustic touch. There's alot of functional black with tv, railings, etc... so I wouldn't have a black frame, though a small matter. Your plant and the outdoors to me is a direction for above fp. Even canvas art.

    Malham Crest - 2020 Inch Pillow-Soft Orchard Finish - Pillows · More Info



    Holli Zollinger Thistle Credenza · More Info



    Pillow Decor - Kukamuka Scandinavian Eka Lumbar Rectangular Pillow 12x19, Yellow · More Info


    Pillow Decor, Winter Flock Black and White Throw Pillow 12x20 · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    I dont think the sectional is too big, I think the room just needs to be styled. This is an awesome house ps.

    1. the "buffet" you have kind of randomly placed could act as your tv console

    2. once the work area has left pull the sofa back and toward the dining area a bit

    3. possibly add a cozy chair by the fireplace

    4. hang your artwork lower

    5. consider removing the tile/stone from the fireplace and perhaps white stucco

    6. take the rug out of the dining room its not doing that set up any justice.


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago




    "Blue Sky Slot over, Lower Antelope Canyon" by Tom Dempsey, Canvas Art, 24"x36" · More Info



    Orian American Heritage Southwest Kilim Patches Area Rug, Red, 7'10"x10'10" · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Like yours, but bigger -


    "Color Layers in Antelope Canyon" Landscape Photo Canvas Print, 40"x20" · More Info



    Dynamic Rugs - Lydia 7890-199 - 7ft 10in x 10ft 10in Beige · More Info



    'Beach at Sunset 5' Canvas Art by Lincoln Harrison · More Info


    Jacquard Chenille Big Zipper Pillow Cover Set, Orange, 2 Piece, 14"x26" · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Unusual on brushed aluminum - and next to similar glass of sliders.


    Cotton Velvet Pillow, 13"x19"x0.25" · More Info



    Surya Fleck FCK-1001 50"W x 60"L Throw · More Info



    "Dock Mist" UV Ink Print on Brushed Aluminum, 36"x24" · More Info



    Marl Moss Striped Cotton knit pillow, Navy, Natural, and Beach Blue · More Info


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Why can't the desk and bookcase be relocated to the loft? It's distracting and spoils the appearance of the room.

    • If you can't move the desk upstairs then consider this layout for the room (see below)
    • Move the sectional back to allow more room in front of the TV and the fireplace.
    • Select a larger rug for the area
    • Allow a walkway to the sliding doors
    • Add a lounge chair to the seating area along with a floor lamp and drum table.
    • Move a new more style-conscious desk to the TV wall
    • Get a larger TV screen for this room.
    • Replace the unsightly bookcase with bookshelf units that don't extend beyond the top of the sectional back.







  • 4 years ago

    Interesting townhouse! With those vaulted ceilings, I'd want to hang very large artwork(s) extending toward the high ceiling. To be honest, the fireplace on its own could be lovely, but it really seems poorly placed and the wrong style for the townhouse. I'd love to see it removed or replaced with a modern woodstove (if burning wood is allowed where you are). But for the short term, here is how some artwork above the fireplace might look. I 'borrowed' the artwork from Houzz stories.




  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Somehow I think this isn't what you meant, but it's an idea:

    "Sailboats On Water" Canvas Wall Art, 32"x48", Unframed · More Info


    Set of 2 Teal Blue Brushed Twill Decorative Throw Pillow Covers · More Info


    Safavieh Thin Striped Looped Pillow, 20"x20" · More Info


    1-Piece Decorative Pillow Case18x18" , A23 · More Info


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Can you guys DIY? look into a cement overlay (less than $100) or a roman plaster, both of which could go over those slate tiles.

    I think you'd like this. simple plaster overlay. above the mantle you could do the drywall, or a board and batten type of trim if you prefer.

    but his is not difficult to do.


    Totally works w/your room too. (you could use a masonry paint and paint that slate tile, but honestly, this plaster/stucco/cement overlay is simple and would look better)


    or, they're easy enough to break free and you could retile w/something else. use a solid piece of stone for the hearth. you don't have a lot to do. if you do it yourselves, a few hundred would do it.



    https://angelarosehome.com/final-reveal-fireplace/


    check out this before and after.


    https://angelarosehome.com/final-reveal-fireplace/

    Full tutorial


    You could easily do this in a white color (but I'd top w/a wood mantle.)








    you could get this finish w/the cement or stucco overlay, or the roman plaster finish.


  • 4 years ago

    @BeverlyFLADeziner

    I think you jumped the gun a little in your response, she mentioned why its there and that she does plan to move it,

    "@decoenthusiaste - attaching more pictures here.

    Few changes we plan on making already:

    1. The study table to the left of the bookshelf is temporary. Once we all start going back to work, I plan on getting rid of it.
    2. Sofa is too big. It’s legacy from the bigger house we had. We are open to changing it. But keep getting confused on the style/color, hence have not tackled it yet.

    Thank you in advance for your help"

  • 4 years ago

    @Beth H. : That is exactly what I was trying to discribe! I didnt know you could go right over the stone with it!

  • 4 years ago

    @Decoenthusiaste - I like the idea of moving the bookcase to the left of TV. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

    @RL Relocation LLC - Thanks for ALL the amazing suggestions. I can definitely do some DIY and will definitely try the white stucco for fireplace.

    @BeverlyFLADeziner - Long term, I like the idea of getting rid of the bookshelf and moving to some form of storage behind the sofa/sectional like you have in pictures here. Thanks for the pictures.

    @Beth H. - OMG, thank you so much for sharing all the amazing diy links. I have spent Atleast an hour on YouTube going through fireplace makeover videos now. I am definitely trying this!! 😇

    Thank you again everyone 🙏🏽