Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

PETS in the garden

get to work gal ....

and for you cat peeps ... we only need one pic of any given cat ... not your entire hard drive of cat pix... lol ...

ken

Comments (110)

• chamaegardener (Z5) Northeast Illinois
    last year

Callie has gorgeous markings! They almost say, "my harness goes right here, lets go for a walk!"

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year
    last modified: last year

Peren.all, You got a new dog!? Wow! Excellent! And she is the cutest thing! Is she a Burmese Mountain Dog? You know we had the same situation. Our daughter wanted to get a dog and wanted us to get a sibling and have two, but we were reluctant after losing a dog to illness and it had been awhile since we'd had a pet. My husband was quite resistant and had to have his arm twisted, so we didn't get the sibling, but we dog sit for my daughter's dog all the time and she has brought a lot of love into our lives. We are so happy we did it. I'm SURE you're going to have the same experience! Good luck with Callie, she looks very sweet!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

Thanks Ann We never forget but I know she will bring joy (and some frustration) lol!

oursteelers she is and I am sure we will! Thank you.

chamaegardener yes I agree her markings are gorgeous. That white collar goes all the way around her neck.

prairiemoon she looks like a BMD but she is Border collie, Collie with a tiny bit of shepherd. We are both in the same situation, my DD has her when she is not at work. We both have shared custody! I am sure she will bring the same happiness she has brought you. Thank you! I need to take her outside now, talk soon!

• miles10612
    last year

Callie is simply gorgeous. It's so hard to lose a pet. Hope Callie brings you tons of joy. Border Collies are so smart. have you seen the guy who had one and taught his border collie hundreds of words and his dog could identify toys even when mixed with huge mounds of other toys and objects?

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

I am so happy to hear you got a puppy! Callie is a loving tribute to Luke, hope she fills that space you have when we lose a pet. There are three senior dogs at my house but I have a new grandpuppy….. my daughter has a six month old smooth collie. It is a fresh reminder of what lies ahead for you😃. Have fun trying to keep Callie out of the hostas ; ).

Sherry

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    last year

Awww, CUTE doggie! Enjoy her.

last year

miles I feel for you and everyone who has lost a pet, it is devastating. It is a shame you can't get another GP at this time. I normally like to get a rescue dog (Luke was). You and your daughter are providing for a dog in need and that is a wonderful deed.

Thank you miles. We do get attached to a breed and Callie is my third BC. I have seen that guy with his incredible dog! My first BC was a purebred and scary smart. Callie is 3/4 but even at this tender age is showing her smarts. I like the temperament of a BC apart from being smart they are sweet, affectionate and they make eye contact. They communicate with their eyes as much as their actions.

Thank you Sherry! I hope Zoe & company are able to handle Jake. They probably teach him when he visits. Yes, I am definitely in for it! Callie already saw a bug and pounced into Lemon Lime. It was quite appropriate since the breeder named them by their collar colours. She had a Lemon then a Lime collar lol! It will be a long and joyous journey.

I will Esther, thank you!

prairiemoon what happened to your post?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

My post? I deleted it because I just hate posting personal photos on GW because very quickly they stop letting you take them down and they're on there forever. So I post them and take it down before they stop letting me delete. But I can put it up again and take it down again, if someone didn't get a chance to see it...lol

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last year

prairiemoon..I delete comments too..I hate that GW has time limits to edit or delete..

I can't remember..was it always like this?..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Nicholsworth - before GW changed hands to Houzz, you could delete any time, even years later. When Houzz took it over, for awhile they didn't limit it but at some point they did and then a little while after that they shortened the period of time you could edit at all too. And according to the site policy, anything you post, they own.

last year

prairiemoon..that's what I was thinking!..I miss the original GW..

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Ditto - We had it so good then! [g]

• chamaegardener (Z5) Northeast Illinois
    last year

I recall reading that sites like Twitter that allow constant revision of content cause server resource requirements to grow exponentially because content revisions require so many more server calls. Perhaps HOUZZ looked at this and limited revision to eventually make the content static rather than dynamic.

Prairiemoon, your dog looks so sweet and seems to only want to be near you.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Thank you Chamaegardener, her name is Babs and she has a very happy and sweet disposition. We never had a dachshund before and I was against getting this breed after reading some of the negatives, but I am so glad we did. She is a perfect little angel of a dog...lol. And she loves the garden! My daughter spent a lot of time socializing her so she really connects with people. She loves to be with people but is pretty independent too. So it has worked out really well.

Lots of beautiful pets on this thread, I hope people will continue to post more photos.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    last year

ester.. where are you???

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Perenn.all - Callie must be getting pretty big now....photo? :-)

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    last year

My cats are strictly indoor cats, not allowed outside, but here is a picture of Dandi, my Maine Coon, as she supervises my outdoor contractor.

last year

prairimoon she is growing! She will get to be 50-55 lbs. but she is just over 20 lbs. now. Is Babs fully grown? She is beyond adorable!

Her tail is just starting to unfurl and her haunch feathers are developing.

A quiet moment in the garden after running the pathways which she treats like a racetrack. She is fast!

• miles10612
    last year

Simply adorable.

last year

Laurie..she's beautiful!..and she helps pick up sticks Lol..

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    last year

We used to dog-sit a pet-shop) border collie for friends. Liam was probably a puppy-mill dog (the end of his tail was missing…) but he was VERY smart (the first time we dog-sat he came with several pages of commands etc. that we were supposed to practice with him!) He loved running the garden paths here and would leap across beds to move from one path to another! When he went home we needed to rake the skid marks and launch gouges from the paths :-) I’d bet Callie is keeping you busy as well as keeping you amused :-) Will you do Agility with her? They did that and also Search and Rescue training with Liam just to keep him from getting bored…. When they both were working we’d sometimes get an urgent call to ask if he could come the next day because he was bored and getting into trouble home alone! They are great dogs but need to stay active mentally and physically.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Peren, she is getting so big so fast! She’s beautiful!

debra

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Esther - A Maine Coon cat! You don't see those too often. How many cats do you have? Our son has 3 cats, 2 that are siamese and a dog and the cats are all indoor cats. How can you not keep them indoors now with all the coyotes around.

Perenn,all - Oh Wow!! Callie is so sweet! I love her looks! Look at those ears, that face!! I bet she is a lot of fun. Thanks for the update photo, she really is growing fast. Doesn't seem possible she is only 20 lbs, Babs is 13lbs. How is that possible? lol

Babs is 2 years old and at her mature weight. We are still sharing her with DD who left her for 3 weeks this summer to go on a trip. And she's here for the weekend again. We had thought of getting our own dog, but really, all three of us are thankful to be sharing her! It's working out perfectly for us. We're happy to see her come and ready for a break when she goes home...lol. Although she is the easiest dog I've ever had. And she gets the best of both worlds, my DD works 3 days home and 2 at work, so sometimes Babs is bored, so she gets a very full day here when she comes.

I think these are very lucky dogs to have so much company, a garden to play in. Your Callie has the run of your property. Really fortunate dogs! Woody's dogs were very lucky too as I imagine are many of the dogs here.

last year

Ugh my post just disappeared. As some of you know typing is not my forte so I will need to redo later. Thanks all.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

I've gotten two email notifications of follow ups on this thread this morning and when I get here they are not here. Ken seemed to have posted and his disappeared too.

• beesandblues88_z7a
    last year

Playing the game called "Where did Gunner Go".

• beesandblues88_z7a
    last year

And also playing "Where did Chase Go"

last year

I hope this goes not come out garbled. I did this as a word document because I did not even get a chance to hit submit last time. Everything just disappeared.

Thank you miles!

Oh yes Ann she is a big help lol. The sticks seem to help more than her toys with teething.

woody they are incredibly smart. Yes, I am constantly smoothing out the pathways. She is getting much better in the garden but I work in short bursts then play with her. There is never a dull moment and she is very comical and sweet. She would excel at Agility and it is likely in the cards. We got her a 24” tall puppy play pen for outside. She jumped out at 8 wks. We got a 40 “ tall double and she was jumping and hanging off the top rail at 9 weeks. We abandoned it. She hates being contained even for a few minutes which is all we ever intended it for. Certainly no one should ever get a Border Collie if they can't keep up with their need for mental and physical stimulation. They are simply a joy and reward you ten fold.

Debra she is growing like a weed!

Prairiemoon her ear(s) have a mind of their own right now. One sometimes is up but often not. Which way do I go lol! Yeah we will chalk it up to bone density. I have a friend shorter but the same build that weighs so much more than me. So funny we are in exactly the same position with shared custody. It is great! DD was ready for a dog before I was but of course I caved. I am not able to get as much done as I would like (need) to do on days when I have her but the trade off is so rewarding. Thankfully Babs is a good dog. Three weeks is a long time but I think it is good for them to get used to different situations.

So much better than having to board them. I can imagine you were relieved to relinquish her but maybe a bit sad too. Pets have the ability to worm their way into our hearts. It is a true partnership when you have a dog. I am enjoying the puppy stages but it has been decades since I had a puppy. I normally like to get a year or two old rescue. Would I trade this experience? No way!!

Original Author
    last year

i found that i cant post pix.. or start posts.. unless i am signed in first ... if i do all the work ... and then try to sign in... it just freezes ..

usually.. i SELECT ALL ... then COPY .... everything before i hit send or whatever.. often it saves me.. when something disappears ...

so i always sign in to one of my own posts.. with a simple HI... and then intend to delete is after im signed in ... sometimes i forget ...

if im not signed in.. i cant see all the post posted.. since i was previously signed in ...

ken

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Peren.all - I don’t know if you have a ‘Text Edit’ program on your computer but that’s what I use to compose and then cut and paste. I have Word, but it takes too long to load for me, and text edit comes right up.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, it really does pay off to put the time in with a smart and active dog. Our Babs is two years old already, hard to believe and DD had her from 10 weeks. We love the puppy stage! We were not as necessary to her training, our daughter spent a lot of time socializing Babs, she goes everywhere with her and meets a lot of people and other dogs. The dachshund breed by reputation can be trouble if they don’t get that. And they have a chance of spinal issues so, it’s recommended you keep them active and their weight down. DD did take a few sessions with a trainer for some issues that needed working out and it made a major difference. She was frustrating to walk and now she is great. Walks 2 miles a day. So, all of that has paid off and she’s a pleasure. Looking back, DD can’t believe how much time she has put in…lol. She was a novice dog owner and had her illusions going into it, but she wouldn’t trade it either!

Happy for you to have such a charming addition to your family.

Ken, we all find ourselves jumping through hoops sometimes, just to post here. [g]

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last year

Hurricane Ian. Dogs were curious.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I am very saddened to report that my best buddy Chewy (that I reported on here 8 months ago) left this earth yesterday for that big dog park in the sky. In fact, I am pretty much heartbroken. He was my constant companion for the past 14 years but old age and some health issues got the best of him this summer and it was time to say goodbye. He will be so very much missed.

Bye, Chewman - R I P

• indianagardengirl
    last year

So sorry to hear this, GG.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your buddy Chewy. I hope you are surrounded by an actual community of people who will share and support your sadness and broken heart. You know there’s a virtual community here on Houzz that are feeling your pain and hugging their pups while reading your sad news. I’ve had at least one dog in my home at all times during my entire adult life. Though it’s so hard I try to accept that the pain we feel when we have to say goodbye to our pups is the measure of the love they have given us.

Kathy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    last year

Chewy has a sweet face and 14 years is a good age for a dog. He must have been well cared for. Pets are such a comfort to us. I am sure you have a lot of photos and memories that with some time will be a comfort to you.

last year

gardengal my heart is breaking for you. No words can comfort us at this time but support and empathy that is sincerely offered and understood is I hope some small help to you.

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    last year

So sorry to hear of the loss of your doggie. I just know he had the best life ever keeping company with you. Having lost pets myself, I know how you must be feeling and I am weeping as I type this.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last year

I am so sorry for your loss. Chewy Chewman was a great buddy.

Original Author
    last year

hi

Original Author
    last year

i just had our 17 y.o cat put down last night... im devastated ....

i fully understand your loss gal ...

ken

last year

Oh Ken I am so very sorry. The loss of a pet is devastating and I feel for you deeply.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5 I am so sorry for your loss of your kitty family member. It takes so much courage to say goodbye to our beloved animal family companions when their days with us are no longer good ones but ending their pain is what they trust us to do for them. Please accept my most sincere condolences and hopes that as days pass, good memories blunt the pain you’re feeling today.

Kathy

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

For those of us that love and live with animals, the loss of any. pet is a huge emotional blow. But when it is one that has been a part of our daily life for years and years, the pain is even more intense. It is like losing a member of the family. I can't bring myself to put away Chewy's dog beds or toys. And the canister of his treats is still on the kitchen counter. I'll get there eventually.......but not just yet.

Ken, I feel your pain and so sorry for your loss.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

My heart goes out to you both. It is tough getting past that ”end of an era” feeling.

tj

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

I am so sorry for what you are both going through, I hope eventually your memories will bring you smiles and laughter

last year

my heart goes out to all of you that have lost their pets (Laurie, gardengal, Ken and others?)..

I love this quote..

"don't cry because it's over..smile because it happened"..

says basically the same thing oursteelers said..🙂

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Very sorry for all of you and your losses…….it’ devastating no matter how long we have been lucky enough to have them grace our lives. GG48, 14 years is a long time for a dog, but it doesn’t make it any easier when you lose them. 😔

peren, 5 years is just not fair! He does not have pain and perhaps you can take comfort in that.

ken we had to put our 18 year old mama cat down on Aug 5th, our 32nd anniversary…….she is the one that taught us all about community cats and how to trap and neuter them before returning them outside. She was quite the scaredy-cat in the beginning, hiding even when she saw my face in the window. Over the years, she finally warmed up to us, enjoyed playing and being petted and brushed. She also was welcomed in the house whenever she wanted to be in. She developed hyperthyroidism and the last couple of days of her life she could not eat or drink. Her passing was very quiet and peaceful. I held her in my arms for the first time. I truly understand what you are going through. Your baby is at peace now……

Do you all know the poem, RainbowBridge.com ? It gives me comfort.

debra

Snow

last year

Debra you certainly gave Snow a great and long life. Thank goodness you took her in. It must have been bittersweet holding her as she passed. We will never forget our companions. Hugs for you Ken & gardengal. We all need comforting with these terrible losses.

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    last year

Ken, I am so sorry at the lost of your beloved kitty. That it attained 17 years of age is a testament to your excellent and no doubt loving care. I can fully emphasize with your loss. Was just thinking about the last 2 I've lost in the past several years. The pain is blunted, but always there. I hope you can find another little fella that needs a loving home like yours. Heaven knows, there are so many.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Couple more pictures:

Jingle 16, wearing jacket because of hair loss to prevent sunburn

Tonto, our BIG boy, about 4, very friendly

Seurat, also about 4, he’s our shy guy……very sweet though

All three are neutered and vaccinated and well cared for. (TNR) They have an enclosed heated porch with heated beds in cold weather. All 3 were born outside and given the opportunity to come inside whenever they want. But they choose to go back outside to the porch or yard/garden.

For more information about TNR go to: bestfriends.org

or alleycatallies.org

debra