Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muellerkm

Need help with window grid sizing

muellerkm
2 years ago

We are about to replace our windows and would like to keep the grids on the front of the house. I’ve attached a pic that shows the grids as they are now. We are replacing with black fiberglass windows and black grids (Milgard Ultras). I need to finalize the details of our order, but I don’t know anything about how to determine the best grid size. Can you please help??

Comments (13)

• Chris
    2 years ago

We are very happy with this choice. The tall windows have 6 “panes”. Larger square one has 9. Super large windows have a solid glass with 2 side panels that are just like the tall 6-paned windows. I can take more pictures in the daylight if you are interested. ( those were just a couple I had already on my phone).

• Chris
    2 years ago

I would definitely cut back on the grids. It’ll be a matter of preference in the end. Look at some pictures like these I googled for inspiration. Lesser grids modernize home a bit.

• muellerkm
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Chris- thank you so much for the suggestions and inspo photos. I was thinking larger grids too, though am having trouble figuring it out since I have such a wide range of window sizes. If not too much trouble, I would love to see more photos of your home! One issue I’m having is that our smaller windows are all on the right side of the house and larger are all on the left. I worry about making it feel off balance 😬

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Your current grid patterns are appropriate for the Tudor style of your home. You're not trying to turn this into a farmhouse, so more minimal grids are not appropriate.

• hbeing
    2 years ago

Depends how many you want between you and your view. #jailcell

• Chris
    2 years ago

A lot of our smaller window don’t even have grids. Our house is transitional. So a mix of modern and traditional so that works in our case. Do you have the photo shop ability or we actually printed pictures of our house with lightly faded color and drew on the windows to see how it might looked…

• Chris
    2 years ago

Here’s a few of ours.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

Definitely like the less busy look too. Looks much cleaner and contemporary.

• Chris
    2 years ago

Try scribbling on your house like this… You may want to keep the small window as is….

• Chris
    2 years ago

Maybe it’s the dark center bar that is making you want to change…

• Chris
    2 years ago

I tried to erase the lines below. See if you can print something like this out and draw on it.

• muellerkm
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, this is super helpful!

• Gigi Rosa
    2 years ago

Hello. Beautiful window grid designs. Chris, did you select flat or sculptured grids? Are the grids inside the window pane? Lastly, I LOVE your house paint color. May I ask for the brand and name of the paint color? Thank you!