Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeneric_travelers

Move a Golden Euonymus Shrub in full shade?

Jen K (7b, 8a)
2 years ago

In Nov, the new (semi custom) builder contractor planted Golden Euonymus in the north facing backyard, in a section that will always be shaded even in the summer.
Are west facing house wall gets beautiful afternoon sun. I'm thinking about replanting them there in order to create a visual barrier of the HVAC.
Can I replant them in the spring? It looks like a hearty shrub.

Comments (10)

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@christopher - thank you. I'm more familiar with other Builder grade plants but I've not seen this one before and wasn't sure.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

This shrub will tolerate a great deal of shade and would actually prefer afternoon shade if planted in a hot summer climate. And that bright gold color will brighten up a shady location as well. Euonymus japonicus tend to be very tough and very flexible in their requirements :-)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I agree with GG. I wouldn't waste a prime garden spot on a Golden Euonymus. They’re as tough as old boots. Great for a gloomy corner where other shrubs might struggle.

• Christopher CNC
    2 years ago

"I'm thinking about replanting them there in order to create a visual barrier of the HVAC."

I wouldn't consider the HVAC on the west side of the house a prime garden spot compared to the north facing backyard.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

In my shady yard, ANY spot of sun is a prime spot haha! I personally would use the sunny spot to plant something other than the euonymous - and I love these gold and green eunonymuses (euonymi lol?). I do appreciate the way they light up the shade so I would leave it there, but again, that's because I have such little sun, so anything that can do well in shade, stays in shade!

But yes, the answer to your actual question is that you can move it in spring. Good luck!

:)

Dee

• Christopher CNC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

"ANY spot of sun is a prime spot." It is for me too Dee, big time. That thought certainly entered my head. I wouldn't waste sun on a Golden Euonymus either. I was just thinking in the typical suburban non-gardener scenario we see here so often that a shrub as tough as old boots would get the job done of hiding the HVAC with minimal fuss and maintenance.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, I didn't remember what was in my own backyard, which we've only had for a month. Boring shrub. Now I wish I had the golden euonymus. Guess I'm not too mad at it. Just beyond the farthest I'm going to make a native fern garden; it's a low and wet spot.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    2 years ago

"...a shrub as tough as old boots would get the job done of hiding the HVAC with minimal fuss and maintenance..."

Excellent point, Christopher.

Jen, my computer won't let me enlarge your photo so I can't really tell what you have. You could possibly enlarge the bed and add other blooming perennials, grasses, or annuals there, (maybe some flowering vine up the side of the deck - or even a gold euonymus lol!) and then in winter the "boring shrub" isn't quite so boring when it adds some green. That's of course assuming it IS an evergreen, and also, that winter interest is a need for you down there in zone 7/8, It is here, so sometimes boring things fade into the background in summer but then shine in winter.

:)

Dee

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

“my own backyard, which we've only had for a month”

Jen, I know that this isn’t a direct answer to your question, but it is often suggested that you wait a year before making major changes to the landscaping. That will give you time to see how light levels change over the course of the year due to changinging sun angles, let you observe where water collects and how long it remains at different times of year, and allows you the time to appreciate both the plants that are year round stalwarts such as pines or variegated redtwig dogwood shrubs vs. the ones that might be boring at times, but have certain seasons of stunning beauty such as lilacs or rhododendrons. There might be plants that are ephemeral and grow and bloom in spring such as daffodils and Viginia bluebells, but then die back until the following year. You will have a better feel for how the current plants will fit your needs and how suited they are to their particular sites as well as do research on current plants and ones you are considering. It will also give you a bit of time to figure out how you and your family will want to use the yard and where various functions will be best served. For instance, the veggie garden would be best placed in a spot that gets all season sun, the kids’ trampoline and at least one sitting area will do well in areas with some shade for hot days. Where will you most often walk to and from in the yard? Will you want a dog run or a garden shed? I would suggest that you plan on starting moving current plants and planting new ones in the fall once you have a better feel for how you will use the yard, and it is an ideal planting time when new plants won’t have to deal with a hot summer when not established.

I realize that waiting can be difficult and frustrating when you want your yard to be beautiful immediately. I had to put off planting with my current home which needed foundation work before planting could start. I am currently resisting ordering plants for my next home since I will not actually move until fall, though I will be able to observe it through this season. But gardening is a long term investment, so it makes sense to really prepare as well as possible for a particular site before starting to make major changes.

So what to do this season? You can get some large containers and plant with annuals, or if you include perennials in the pots you can add them to the garden in the fall. You can prep new beds for fall planting and modify current beds and add annuals to those. Beds that measure a minimum of 6’ front to back (preferably more) will be easier to make attractive because they allow for sufficient space for larger plants without needing as much pruning, and they give you the opportunity to layer plants rather than have a single file line of plants.

Best wishes and congrats on the new house!