Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_484828627

Ideal closet size and setup

4 years ago

Hi!

I have a question and wonder who can help me with professional advice.

I am building a new house, and wondering how to do my closet doors.

I was told by people (not professionals) to be careful and try to avoid a return in middle if possible, since the return makes it harder to layout a custom closet?

I'd love to know how to work out the doors on each.

For your reference, I am talking about 4 closets (each in kids bedrooms)


1)7'4

2)8'10

3)6'2

4)6'2

Comments (9)

  • 4 years ago

    Please post a floor plan and are you talking about reach-in closets?

    B Leib thanked emilyam819
  • 4 years ago

    Hi! Yes reach in closets. I attached a floorplan with the closets in reference highlighted. I appreciate your looking at it! Thanks!


  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What do you mean by returns ? I love Ikea Pax for reach in closets so much better and cheaper than custom and the doors are combined with drawers so not a big issue for both use and design .I love the sliding doors that open from the center BTW are these all boys ? The reason I asj is that girls need much more closet space than boys for hanging space and boys more drawers


  • 4 years ago

    Hi Anj_p! My question is if I can avoid the middle piece on any of these closets or are they too big to avoid the middle piece. or which ones I can and which one I can't...?

  • 4 years ago

    To explain my question better, The returns I mean the beam in the center of the closet. I heard that if there are beams in middle the closets it may be in the way of properly dividing the closet / having drawers because you can't have the drawers in the center, but I guess it depends on the size of the closet... I am wondering if anyone can suggest the best size doors on these closets and how / if to divide them. (example, someone told me the 7'4 closet to divide the one closet with double door and one single door closet. I wonder if that's a good idea from a more professional standpoint or what would be the best way to do it)

  • 4 years ago

    You’re overthinking it. Google closet doors and you’ll see they come in a variety of sizes. For example, here are 6’ doors.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes you can. You don't need the openings to be as large as they are for one. Second, you can use bifold doors or bypass doors for any closet that can't use two French doors.

  • 4 years ago

    The middle column between doors does not have to affect a custom closet design. You merely design for that.

    - Bifolds and sliders have their place. If your house level calls for swing doors, then use swings.

    - You usually try to minimize the dead space between the door jamb and the inside end closet wall. But if not, the closet system can have a return on the side, it can work that way too.

    - If swing, you try not to make them too big (like 36") so they don't interfere with furniture or circulation space.

    - Do not separate a long closet with 2 separate sets of doors of different sizes (e.g. whoever told you to do a double + a single on the same closet). You already have a Monty Hall problem with your Bedroom#5 Bath doors.