Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezski

Sonoma Tilemakers

Cat Liz
2 years ago

I’m interested in the stellar quick ship subway tiles. However, I have no idea how expensive ( and I know they are pricey) the tiles are. I realize only dealers can quote.. but the one local dealer website I visited listed the price as $$ out of four for this tile.

Some price range data would help. I need 40 sq feet for a backsplash to compliment my new Taj Mahal countertops. I’ve visited msi and dal tile, both offer very reasonably priced ( under $10 sq ft.) options that could work. I can go higher, but not 4x higher.

Any pricing feedback would be appreciated before I pursue this tile. Thanks

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

The only way to get a price is to go to a dealer and ask for a quote. You are not obligated to buy if the price is out of your range. Anything anyone tells you here is irrelevant unless they are prepared to sell it to you.

• Cat Liz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think that’s the information I need.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I do not understand the issue you need to go shopping.

• Cat Liz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks again.. just wanted to know if it’s not in our price range. E.g I don’t shop for Ferraris if I can afford an Acura. I have a lot of other shops to visit so I’ll start at those. Thanks

• chispa
    2 years ago

I am looking at the Sonoma Stellar Dahlia, a more detailed tile design. I got a price recently and it was $39/sq.ft

What color are you thinking of using with the Taj Mahal?

Sonoma has quite a few colors that can look nice with Taj Mahal depending on how light/dark your TM is and the color of your cabinets. Whatever you do make sure you get a few samples to test before you place an order!

Cat Liz thanked chispa
  • Cat Liz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was quoted about $35 sq ft. I brought a sample home of some tiles (bossy grey) they have in stock. Love it, but gosh.. was hoping for about $20-$25 sq ft.

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

$10 more a square foot for the one you love? With shipping and installation the same amount either way? It's just a couple hundred bucks more. That's the place to splurge anyway: a vertical surface visible from both far and near, and often the place to make a statement. I'd spend that extra $10/sf even if my backsplash wrapped 3 walls of the kitchen.

• Cynthia
    2 years ago

Stellar Quick Ship is typically less than some of the other Stellar options. I work for a flooring and tile dealer and one of the big things to point out is they are sold per piece, not per sqft. I just checked our system and it's $6.52 per piece for 3x6. I'd have to find out if there is additional freight. According to my quick math, if 5.5 tiles equals 1 sqft at $6.52 each you're looking $35.86/sf. Now, I am allowed to adjust my margins so that is retail, if I were trying to get the sale I'd be able to drop it to $5.74 per piece which would be $31.57/sf. Not a huge difference but definitely some savings. Not every company works this way so it just depends where you are located and how they price things. To be honest, there are plenty of beautiful subway options out there at lower price points, I wouldn't pay that much for a subway tile.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I was interested in a Sonoma tile and a price by dealer. I I could do better and called the company. Turns out dealers are locked into that

We woundcup not getting them, but are really well worth the money.

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

I ordered Sonoma stellar tiles for a backsplash I never installed. If I remember I ordered cut corner 4x4 and regular 4x4. I think it was about $500.00+ for about 15 sf. That may have included three Matowi art tiles and Matowi trim pieces. If so then it was probably about $300 and change for 15 sf. I have it sitting in the basement as sunk cost.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

@Cynthia, the number of 3 x 6 tiles in a square foot would be 8, as follows: 2 across (6 x 2 = 12) and 4 down (3 x 4 = 12), so a square foot would be $6.52 x 8, or $52.16 per square foot. Unless of course 3 x 6 is not the exact measurement of one tile.

• User
    2 years ago

I ordered 2x6 field tiles from them. I needed 35 sq ft and 20 glazed edge tiles. With freight from CA to SC it was around $800

• Cat Liz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback

• gtdj519
    2 years ago

Did any of you that commented use the sonoma tiles? i too am considering them, but have recently read a lot if negarive reviews on rhards to the qulaity.

any feedback in regard to it would be appreciated

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

I used Sonoma 3x6 stellar, crackle in Gardenia color (I think). aff affordable tile but certainly higher than dal tile and a few others i looked at.

nice nice, high quality tile. huge selection of colors. i remember really liking the Bossy Grey and a beautiful pale blue. the Gardenia is a slightly creamy white.

use a large enough grout line since these are handmade tiles.

• ILoveRed
    2 years ago

my posting looks like im an embecile. im not. some kind of glitch with my ipad and this site that cant be fixed.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Haha, I just spotted my typos!

• Heather P
    last year

@Cat Liz did you end up going with Sonoma tile? I also have Taj and just started looking at Sonoma since they have so many different white tiles.

• chispa
    last year

I gave up on the Sonoma tile, mostly because I needed to buy several samples and I didn't like the attitude of the only tile store that sells it in my area. I had used Sonoma tile before, when I lived in another state and had a great relationship with that tile store, who were happy to order any samples I needed in a timely manner.

I also have Taj Mahal counters. I ended up going with a mosaic by Jeffrey court. The larger marble mosaic pieces are honed and the smaller brown marble pieces are polished, which you can't really see in this photo.

• Heather P
    last year

@chispa that is so beautiful!! Where did you find the tile?

• chispa
    last year

Jeffrey Court, Chapt. 16 - Park Place mosaics. Their website has a "Find a dealer" link on upper right side.

• ILoveRed
    last year

chispa…i know you dont generally post pics of your home but i would love to see a pic of your taj with your installed tile. im looking at taj as a replacement for my stained quartzite.

your taj colors are really pretty and appeal to me.