Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_champagne

Hate backsplash in new construction

There is an “antiqued” modern farmhouse style backsplash in our new construction house. I find it looks cracked and dirty but it’s the way the tile is styled.

If I redo- what else would you choose?

Are there any options to salvage this ?

Comments (36)

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Agree, looks chipped & dirty. Paint it???

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Is it grouted? Will that help?

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Wait until it is grouted. I don't think it looks bad.

But if you decide to retile, look at these hand-made in NY tiles. Great color range and come in all shapes and sizes. Complete Tile - Vermeere Ceramics

• Lisa T
    2 years ago

Once it's grouted, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

• olychick
    2 years ago

I agree, as long as they use a light grout close to the color of the tile. The hex looks nice. Beautiful cabinet color!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

They all looked chipped--must be what you chose...the grout will fill in the chips but then look like sloppy grout.

• Lisa T
    2 years ago

Agree, as long as they use a light colored grout, it will look great when finished.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    2 years ago

Strange tile and even stranger install as there appears to be zero grout lines. They arent lugged and not even 1/16 grout?? Maybe its teh pics?

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

To me it looks like it’s already grouted with a light grey. I’m sorry you don’t like it, and I have to agree that at least from the closeup picture, I don’t either. The chipping doesn’t look intentional enough to me to be convincing. I hope all works out to the best.

• catlady999
    2 years ago

Looks like a dark mastic was used to install then not cleaned off tile surfaces properly. Also, agree that the grout lines are too small or nonexistent.

• Lindsey Champagne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe this is dumb but how can I tell if it’s grouted?

• Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

Looks grouted to me too. If it wasn’t grouted you would be able to slip a thin knife blade between the tiles. From a distance it looks fine, I would live with it for a bit before I decided to rip it all out.

• Candace
    2 years ago

Are these what you picked out? Did they look like this in the design center ?

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

I would re do it if the budget allows. Beside the chipped look of the tiles I feel like the hexagon shape doesn’t look quite right with the cabinets and counter.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I agree that this is a VERY terrible job with the initial installation and the use of dark colored mud that was't cleaned off the tile and then the grout was done at least it looks done) but the dark stuff remained. There's no way that something is supposed to look "LIKE THAT!"

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

When you blow the picture up you can see that the dark parts are part of the actual tile and it is grouted with a light grey grout. This type of tile is a ”look.” The OP picked this tile look.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Elida-Ceramica-Edgefield-White-6-in-x-6-in-Matte-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile/5002171887?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--flr--ggl--LIA_FLR_230_Floor-And-Wall-Tile--5002171887--local--0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi_NS94U4RBtg3p8y-lkOVZzfJbJNdsEqnPIzRdXguJso9mvfYi9czhoCMwkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tileshop.com/products/annie-selke-farmhouse-hex-white-porcelain-wall-and-floor-tile-8-x-8-in-496173?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&Kenshoo_IDA=PleaseAssignTagToAd&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hiwwngcWEsufhp2vu9mbyBHHOuzy8bxSQuYlaSiuwbQMoULg2ILZWoRoC1PwQAvD_BwE

• rebunky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

That tile looks like it might be this one from home depot. I think the chipped up dark spots are actually done on purpose so they look “vintage”. 🙄 I am not a fan.

It does seem like it is grouted to me. I especially noticed the space between the bottom of the tile and the countertop.

Actually that part is not supposed to be filled with the grout. In time it cracks and chips out. Don’t ask me how I know. :( I believe some sort of flexible caulking or silicone that is color matched to the grout is supposed to be used instead.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I think it looks awful and I would change it now. If it's the tile that vinmarks and rebunky posted, then it's a poor attempt at emulating a handmade tile. It looks dirty and sloppy, especially against the really beautiful cabinetry.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

oh my - so they do make things to look like that.

bite the bullet and change it out.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

The picture from a distance looks nice: good shape and color with your cabinets. But the chipped edges would bother me. It might be a style others like (sort of like distressed rugs or jeans). Did the tiles have chipped edges to start? Or were they chipped on install??

One other possibility is if the grout is wiped out too deep in the groove. When you grout, you apply it and then wipe away excess. When you wipe, you have to be gentle so as not to remove too much. When I was first learning to grout, it was easy to accidentally wipe to vigorously and expose too much of the edge of the tiles. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it is a slight possibility.

• Lindsey Champagne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok I will talk to the builder before closing regarding his choice….

What would you choose instead ??

• cheri127
    2 years ago

Post a picture that shows your countertop. Can't make tile recommendations without seeing that.

• PRO
    2 years ago

What choices did the builder give you? Or are you free to do anything you want?

• PRO
    Home Reborn
    2 years ago

Personally I quite like the look and I think it suits the farmhouse style. Lends a vintage, lived-in look which is what a new construction house of this style needs.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I agree with Home R., but I'm a fan of vintage. Some folks want the farmhouse style, but not the actual worn farmhouse look--and that's OK.

The biggest clue that it's already grouted is in the first picture--the light switch and socket covers would not have been installed on ungrouted tile.

• Lindsey Champagne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Diana We did not have any choices given by builder, it was a pre sold with everything preselected

The counter tops are shadow storm (white with grey veins)

• PRO
    2 years ago

Love the green cabinets, so I'd do something simple for the backsplash. A white tile in any shape would complement the cabinets.

Here are some ideas:

Duane Park Residence · More Info

Kitchen of a historic Craftsman residence in Santa Monica, CA · More Info

Kitchen Range · More Info

Home Remodel - Des Peres, MO · More Info

• rebunky
    2 years ago

Oh my goodness. Mamagoose, when I read your statement about the outlet covers, I thought, Duh! Here I was blowing up the photo so I could look super close for proof of grout. I cannot stop giggling. That just struck me as so hilarious! 🤣

I do actually like the shape, size, color, etc. and it looks great in the photo that is further away. I would probably see if I could live with it for awhile. But knowing me, the tiny chips would probably bother me looking up close.

• Lindsey Champagne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update: ordered a white subway tile will do with light grey grout!

• J Sk
    last year

Pretty!

• PRO
    last year

Wow, that looks so much better! I love it--you made a great choice with the backsplash as well as the cabinetry. Would love to see the whole room.

• Barrheadlass
    last year

Love it!

• Tamara
    last year

LOVE the cabinet color! Do you have a name/maker? And the new subway tile looks fabulous!

• vinmarks
    last year

So much better. Very nice!

• Lindsey Champagne
    Original Author
    last year

Cabinet color is millstone grey (def looks green) and I love it

Diana I’ll post a pic of the whole room for you