Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luluq07

entrance way decor

Lindsay
2 years ago

We have a very very small entrance way and I have a trickery space. Any suggestions on decor I can put here?

Comments (36)

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

we need a picture showing more of the space if possible. For sure we need a diagram with dimensions - impossible to give advice with the info you've given.

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very small foyer

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

move the wall hanging to where the arrow is pointing (an lower it a few inches)

where it is hung now is too chaotic looking w/all of the vents/thermostats.

get a nice flush mount light fixture.

changing out the front door to something other than a builder basic model would give you the most bang for your buck.

see? new door, light, rug wood trim work

at the very least, paint the door.

on this one they used SW Abalone. looks nice w/the gray.

can you stand against the far wall and shoot directly towards the front door so we can see that angle?

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Should I put anything there?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

put anything where? go back up and reread my comment. i added a few more photos.

and give us another photo looking directly at front door from far back

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Can you have an electrician move the thermostat to another wall. It really is in the way.

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s hard to tell with pictures - but this is the room

• partim
    2 years ago

That wall is really a part of your living room, so consider the colours that you use in the living room when you decide what to hang there. Looks like blue is your accent colour, based on your pillows. Some wall art with blue would look good. Or, if you want to stick with the piece you have I'd spray paint it blue. The current colour looks like an off-white that doesn't really look good with the white doors in the area. Then I'd add something on the sofa table in the same blue colour. And some blue in a piece of art work to the left of the TV.

Consider removing the 2 tables on either side of the TV. They're too small to make an impact. Instead put up some wall art, much larger than what is on the little tables.

I'd paint the vent the same colour as the wall to make it blend in a bit.

I would pull the rug, sofa and sofa table closer to the TV. Hard to tell from pictures but maybe by 2 feet. It will make the room feel better when the person sitting on that sofa doesn't feel like they're so close to the front door.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Ok, so here's what I think.

a new front door, hands down. If you want to make this small entryway look better, a new door is paramount. you can find some good buys off of craigslist. people constantly are selling vintage doors (you can strip them and paint them) or they buy wrong sized doors and can't return, or sellers try and unload simple 1-3 lite doors for less than 500. you could also try a salvage yard or a builders surplus outlet that sells wood front doors. And, this will amp up your exterior too.

example. This is one of my favorites. Very long and narrow, but look at the contrast colors and the simple elements.

The front door is gorgeous (you could do obscure glass if you're worried about privacy) , but the black, white and wood elements really add a lot to the look. lots of texture w/the light, wood bench and accent wall too.

I'd remove your sofa table since it's a little narrow, and think about doing a type of bench.

tried to photoshop this on yours.

a bench like pictured there, or something along these lines.

Or a wood one. behind your door swing wall area, you could do some wood hooks, art, maybe a plant

I like this too. Perhaps on your wall w/the closet, you could do some sort of wall trim in an accent color. this will help to conceal your thermostat and register.

This door (below) is like yours, but it doesn't face out to the room. yours does, which is why I think you should replace it. (sell yours for a few hundred to help w/the cost)

you could do the wall area around the door w/some type of accent wall. here is a black shiplap,,

but you could do vertical, or a wood slat, or just paint. I like the idea of doing something w/your closet wall.

If black is too dramatic, try a darker gray color.

here they did the shiplap around the front door. after the door, bring in a better looking light.

white door, but in a 4-lite model. semi flush mount light, neutral runner.

I would remove that sofa table and do something thinner, or try a bench.

You see how they did this wall w/the board and batten? this one goes up to the ceiling. I like that idea too. narrower sofa table, wood front door.

(I think this would be great. the tall batten strips like shown, a bench, and new door and light. or do the vertical or horizontal shiplap all around the door, and the closet wall)

if you went w/the black accents, try this for a sofa table. accent w/the textured baskets on the lower shelf. (obviously no mirror

Diff door painted a soft blue color, some board and batten wainscot alont that closet wall (only shown partial in this photoshop. imagine it carried all the way down) And behind the door something like shown here.

I'd remove the side tables next to the tv (or at least one of them) and do a tall plant. something like this

or do something like this chair and the plant. On the left side. move that table somewhere else.

• plf12652
    2 years ago

I would put a table, lamp and artwork on the wall that you look at when standing in the doorway. A bench behind the sofa, as Beth pointed out, and can you move the sofa in toward the tv at all? Depending on budget, a new door that allows light in will be great, painted in a color. And a runner rather than the small rug there now. I would not have anything on the “thermostat” wall….if you direct the attention to the far wall you look at from the doorway, you don’t need anything on the other walls.

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all!!!! So much to consider, thank you!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

good idea about the sofa. Try moving it forward about a foot or so, then you could move the sofa table up as well. (see if you can get that sofa table even w/that wall that juts out. )

It would open up the entryway a bit more.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Leave thermo. and try your item[s] on the empty wall that's seen as you walk in. Runner, yes?

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I got a runner is it long enough

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I think you could have gone longer by another foot or two, no? maybe a tad wider too. what are those dimensions?

Are you painting your door? It's already primed. try one of these lighter blue shades

• Lindsay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

From the door to end of the hall it’s 104 inches long . I got this from target I can return it.
    My Husband needs to paint the door

• gingerk52
    2 years ago

I would remove the white closet door. and make that your coat and shoe area. Also move the rug even with the table.

• slab
    2 years ago

Your existing new runner looks slippery and dangerous. It is too light in texture. Find one that is heavier and bound like the one Beth has shown in her most recent picture.

• christinekoz
    2 years ago

Hi, Lindsay! Maybe move the furniture to open up the entryway. Instead of painting the door, add some bright colors to the room, like fuchsia faux orchids from Costco on the sofa table. Amazon zippered pillow covers in a shade of green(?) using your existing pillows, measure and order the smallest fit to make full. Between the front and closet doors hang a decorative vertical mirror (Ross, Home Goods is less expensive). Remove the area rug in the room. Add a pretty welcome mat on the porch and only use your runner when needed in wet weather. Remove the wall hangings near the thermostat.

• Two Adorable Labs
    2 years ago

I think a huge difference would be to install a new front door. One that lets in light. Adding a new light fixture would make the space feel brighter. Move your console table behind the couch to the opposite wall allowing for more space. Add a decorative runner that picks up on the colors of your room and makes that space feel longer but make sure it doesn't move so you won't trip over it. Add a decorative mirror on the wall the thermostat is on but not to close. The light from the room and new door will bounce off the mirror making your space feel larger. Make the opposite wall where the console table will go a focal point so that is what is focused on instead of your smaller space when you walk in. Or if you want to get into more of a major change, take down the mini wall when you walk in. It will open up your room more but having done that before, it is alot of work. Can the couch be moved into the living room more closer to the TV? Is there space for that? Is there room to have the TV mounted in the corner on a swival arm to give you more space in the living room? Just a thought. Hope this helps.

• jmarco
    2 years ago

Read comments in a hurry, but a simple first step is to paint out the register to match the wall color.

• Two Adorable Labs
    2 years ago

Yes, I love the idea of painting out the register. You recieved some very good ideas here. I hope we all helped :-)

• Zap Rey
    2 years ago

Push sofa closer to tv, paint the register to match the wall and have no art there because it draws attention to it. Move the white decoration to the left and down. I agree, new front door if it is in the budget and also longer runner rug in the space.

• Barbara Sewell
    2 years ago

After reading many other comments, I agree with most of all them. A new door will totally change the look outside AND in and I personally dislike the style of your current door. Sorry! Letting in more light will automatically make the space feel bigger. I'd put your two sofas/loveseats facing each other to open up the living room. Paint the air return the same color as the wall to make it disappear and lastly, if there's room, add a narrow floating shelf and a mirror above, both items you typically find in an entry and the mirror would visually expand your tight space too. Good luck.

• cjay54
    2 years ago

Hi Lindsay, As you said, the entry is small & I would draw no attention to the closet wall. 1.) Remove the artwork & paint the vent same color as the wall. We painted a room using SW/HGTV Monochrome (a blueish gray) on the walls & did the trim in SW/HGTV Steely gray. Both colors are on the same paint strip. The space became very welcoming. Before replacing your entry door I would first recommend painting both doors to the room in the darker trim color. 2.) I would get a longer runner in a darker blue color. It will help to anchor the space. 3.) Moving the sofa in towards TV area a little will cozy up living room & create a larger entry. If not 100% necessary, try removing the sofa table. 4.) The wall directly across from entry door would be the one to accent.

• lopezmaryk
    2 years ago

I addition to painting the register the same color as the wall, you could paint the closet door (and its trim) the same color, too, to make it stand out less and draw the eye to a new entrance door (I love the black with windows).

• molldoll2
    2 years ago

I agree with a new front door. The wagon wheel look is very dated. I just replaced mine and I love it. A new long runner is a great idea just so it doesn't slide. Paint the air return the same wall color and hang a piece of artwork or a mirror in the entry.

• aniluap2
    2 years ago

The console table should not stick out farther than your half wall at the entrance. I liked the idea of moving the Tv to the corner on a swivel and thus being able to play with the sofa arrangement to open up the space. If that is not possible put a narrower, simple console(even a glass topped or lucite one that gives the illusion of more openness) in place of the heavier wood one. If you hang anything’s it should be on the half wall. The thermostat and electrical outlet get in the way of everything and detract from what you put there.

• cariowen
    2 years ago

Add a sliding barn door instead of white one going to closet. paint grate same as wall color.

• Iris K
    2 years ago

Truly, what you want to create here is light and space.

To do that, I think you'll need to paint the walls a shade of white, because white is expansive and creates the illusion of space. It also reflects light into dark corners, which is what the doorway is behind that partition.

You also need to declutter and reduce the number of patterns in the area because they make it look to busy and the eye goes everywhere trying to focus, which is not relaxing.

A new door with opaque glass inserts is a great idea. You can put a blind or louvres on it for night-time.

There is way too much furniture in the room and area, and it's bulky.

The hallway table needs to go as well, because you walk into it straightaway. It's also in the way of the second doorway. There's another bulky table next to the lounge that's unnecessary, along with the tables next to the tv. You could have an elegant smaller one there and get rid of another table in the middle of the room.

If you want to keep the grey walls, then I would:

1. get an opaque glass front door

2. get blockout slimline blinds with sheer white curtains that drop to the floor (they reflect light beautifully)

3. get rid of the bulky furniture and go slimline, grey/white/cream (vinyl or leather) but comfortable lounge seating . Sometimes you can find good 2nd-hand ones.

4. move everything out of the window areas to let more light in

5. get rid of all the coloured patterns and replace with neutral colours and a few textures like a cream/white shag rug and neutral assortment of pillow covers with a few textured ones in the mix.

6. 3 artworks only for focus and make them elegant eg, vases, sculptures, prints, paintings, that are also neutral or complement each other as a highlight colour.

7. add one or two small plants in interesting bowls which could be included as artwork. (the one you have in the window space is too big for the room)

Hope that helps.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I think we've moved beyond your 'what decor?' question. ;)

A barn door type isn't always rustic - it would be a decorative item, but does it fit your house style?

• chachawoman
    2 years ago

So Lindsay, are you totally confused now? Here’s my two cents. I like the console table, but I would paint it black.

• chachawoman
    2 years ago

P.S. I look forward to see what you end up doing!

• coray
    2 years ago

Not sure if anyone has already suggested it, but could you move the sofa and sofa table into the living room a bit more? Maybe even just 8-12”? This would give you a bit more breathing room in your tight entry area.

• Margo L
    2 years ago

If you want a larger looking entry. Move the love seat sofa into the room. Face it toward the other sofa, that is against the window.
    The sofas now will face each other. The room and the hall way will look open and inviting. You can move the entry table behind the love seat sofa.