Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_45728200852

Is it weird to have 5.5" of counter overhang?

4 years ago

We are in the middle of changing our kitchen cabinets. Because we have a small kitchen, we want to maximize our counter space and elected to extend our counter all the way to the patio door trim. By doing this, now we have 5.5" of counter overhang. My question is, will it look weird? What are my options?


Comments (22)

  • 4 years ago

    It looks like someone forgot to cut it off.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, it will look weird. Is there some reason not to move the outlet and extend the cabinets for more storage?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    It's fine.

  • 4 years ago

    Not a pro...but...I don't think anyone visiting your home is really going to notice, care, or say anything about the longer counter edge. However...if every single time you enter the room, your eyes are going to zoom in on it, and it's going to bother you every single time, you should change it now.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I did the same thing at my house and I have always regretted it. Wanted to max counter space and it just looks like a mistake. I'm hoping to add some kind of built in shelving unit under it to make use of the empty space, maybe for spice or something.

    Here is mine below. I think it would really be improved upon if we have a little something made to make the space useful. But as is, it's always been weird.


  • 4 years ago

    If you put a radius on the front corner it would probably look better but I don't think the extra 4" add anything significant.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, it looks very weird. Deep down you know it’s not right or you wouldn’t have asked. The extra 5” will not give you enough needed space so have it cut off.

  • 4 years ago

    Keep it and fill it in with a cutting board nook! If you don't want it to be at the very end, can you scoot that cabinet to the right and put the nook to the left of it? Also, it doesn't have to be open, it can have a door.


  • 4 years ago

    It might look a bit odd, but if it’s useful, keep it. I do like SeattleMCM’s suggestion!

  • 4 years ago

    To me, the space does not appear large enough to add a cutting board slot. Maybe the cabinet maker offers a filler panel? At least that would appear finished even if it was dead space. If you can match the cabinet or coordinate with some other finish, maybe open cookbook storage-like a magazine rack configuration. Or, if you can bring yourself to drill into the side panel and install a decorative hook, you could hang an attractive butcher block cutting board. But it seems counterproductive to do any of those unless you would use them; if you’re just buying something new to fill space then put a tall skinny plant there if you really don’t want to trim the counter. One more thought – it looks like you have vertical blinds; if you pull them open will they have room to stack if the counter goes all the way to the frame?

  • 4 years ago

    Other ideas. I do think you should do something to make it look purposeful.

  • 4 years ago

    Gains you nearly one square foot more counter space. But I would stop it short of the door trim a bit (1/2-1"). I don't like to see it bumping into the trim.

  • 4 years ago

    Could you add a v shape solid support painted same color as cabinet..

  • 4 years ago

    I have that much over and it was the spot I tucked my dogs bowls under!!!

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Add a chrome towel bar under it won't look weird then.


    But also keep in mind...where are you going to end the backsplash? Are you doing tile?

  • 4 years ago

    It's weird to me, IF...you do nothing with it and just let it hang out there. I like ci_lantro's idea of stopping it short of the trim, and incorporating one of the ideas of SeattleMCM or jaja06. This would certainly qualify as "maximizing" space!

  • 4 years ago

    Saw this today and thought of your thread. Plants obviously wouldn’t work, but just brainstorming.

  • 4 years ago

    Have the carpenter make a filler piece, it will blend in, you will forget about it and no one else will notice. done.

  • 4 years ago

    I can tell you it will be the subject of much conversation if not now later. My son purchased a home with a similar over hang to no where. We speculate about why? Dog dish used to be there? Garbage can hang out?? WHAT!? WHY!

  • 4 years ago

    I think one reason that Cecilia's looks odd is because it is on a short piece of counter. Yours is a continuation of a longer counter and may look more intentional. We can't see all of that side of determine if it looks odd or not.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you for all your replies, decided to remove the outlet and will replace the cabinet from 15" to 18". Will probably still need a filler piece to close the gap.

  • 4 years ago

    The Kitchen Place I'm installing subway tile all the way to the trim/counter. I'll be placing 2 floating shelves above it. Tile will only go up to the bottom of the 1st floating shelves, same height as the cabinet on the left side (not seen in the picture). Where do you think I should end the backsplash?


Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert