Software
Houzz Logo Print
cbiscuit_gw

Is this right...?

4 years ago

I have tried a lot of the methods found on this page and others; I have tried the methods of DCHall as well.


A little background: I have Zoysia (been told a variant of Empire Zoysia) and live in Alabama. My lawn WAS great. I have a tree in the front yard that is starting to up-root/surface-root. I don't know what happened, but something did, as that great lawn is no longer great. Things I have done: rabbit food/Milorganite on the Fed holidays, mow as high as I could, manage the water so it is deeply watered every week (vice a little everyday). I aerated last year.


Issues: the lawn has become patchy at best. There are a bunch of spots, mostly near that tree, that are just flat-out dirt now. When it rains hard, the water will pool in numerous spots, and where thre neighbor's lawn is green, mine just isn't. So I called a lawn service the sprays for weeds and puts down some fertilizer (I realize that the Milorganite and rabbit food is fert, but I am now trying both!) Last summer I was told I had grubs, so that same service treated for that. Side note: also got my soil tested and they said it had a pH of 4.83 and I therefore needed 477# of lime; I put down half of that and plan to put down the other half in a week or so.


What they said: I need to mow my grass much lower and I need to rake/thatch because the grass is basically being choked and the "nutrients" are not getting down to the roots.


Why I am asking: The mowing lower advice seems counter to what I read on here. The need to thatch also seems counter as I thought the "organic" method would sort of dethatch itself. I don't know how to proceed as I am questioning his advice based on what I have read on the Internet.


Thoughts?

Comments (13)

  • 4 years ago

    As requested! Two pictures of the overall yard - one facing south and one north. then a few pictures of different problem areas. Fairly confident the whitish spots is lime.







  • 4 years ago

    Those pictures help a lot. At this point it looks more like a redo than a tuneup.

    If you look at the first picture with the American flag, to the right of the flag is a beach ball plant. Then drop straight down in the pic to the middle and there is a ring of green grass. Usually that indicates fungal disease. It might be a leaky sprinkler, but that's usually a circle and not a ring.

    So lets go back in time. Was zoysia your choice of turf or did you inherit it from the previous owner? What can happen is a lawn will do fine when the landscaping is fresh and new, and suddenly that little tree is casting a shadow too big for the lawn to handle. A little shade tolerance is one thing, but now you have no sunlight reaching the grass under the tree. Shade tolerance means that the grass gets 4 hours of direct sunlight instead of 5 or 6. If you were to thin out that you then your current grass might have a chance. I have had St Augustine under that much shade, but it was thin...but much less thin than your zoysia. We periodically had our trees thinned to let in more sun. If you would consider changing to St Augustine you could do a test with one piece (about $2) planted at the edge of the tree shade. It will either take off or die trying. St Aug spreads over the surface of the soil and is not that hard to get rid of if you don't like it.

    And does your neighbor have the same grass or something else? Where are the spots were water collects?

  • 4 years ago

    I’m not sure I like where this is going…!


    I inherited Zoysia. Most, if not all, of my neighbors also have it. The neighborhood is almost 50 years old, so definitely not new. 3-4 years ago, my lawn drew comments from the others. And now look at it!


    Here are a few more pictures. Several of that ring, which has a big divot in the middle of it. Thise two divots were there when i moved in, so those are at least 6-7 years old. The other divot/hole is caused by chipmunk, which i just figured out.


    Also, a pic from a semi-recent rain (taken from the flag POV). It is about two years old. I thought i had a more recent one, but cannot find it right now.







  • 4 years ago

    Yeah, you wouldn't have liked that. If all your neighbors are doing well with zoysia, we have to make it work. The ring with the divot has to hold water there, too, right? It would seem to me the water right there is what is keeping the grass ring green and not a disease.

    I'm going to say that there is something wrong with the deep infrequent water schedule you're on. First thing to check is that you're getting a full inch every time. Once you verify that, then try changing to once every 5 days instead of 7 days. I would still thin out the tree and maybe add more mulch where you have the standing water.

    If it is not already too hot for herbicide, you could try spot spraying those weeds with Weed-b-Gon.

  • 4 years ago

    So, to make surw this is right, my plan is…


    1) thin out that tree

    2) make sure water is as i think it is

    3) mow shorter. i was doing it at 3.25”, but it looks like 1.5” is the middle of what the zoysia charts on the Google say

    4) and then rake some to makeshift dethatch it

    5) fertilize as i was in fed holidays


    Right?


    PS sorry about the poor grammar and whatnot. it doesnt auto-capitalize for some reason when i use my phone

  • 4 years ago

    How long until I see results? I know it won't be overnight, but I hate waiting, like I'm sure everyone else too. But, to set expectations, just curious how long it should take to see improvement?

  • 4 years ago

    I would expect visual improvement after a week or two. What else did your soil test tell you? Can you post all the results here (picture of the results).

  • 4 years ago

    Here are the SoilKit results. Not sure how to post the file, so i have attached screen shots.



  • 4 years ago

    Screen shots are fine. I'm not a soil test reader, but I can tell that you should never need to lime (Ca) the soil or add Epsom salts (Mg).

  • 4 years ago

    Meaning they gave bad recommendations or my lawn was is such bad shape it shouldnt have gotten there in the first place? i really appreciate your input and your efforts with my questions!

  • 4 years ago

    I don’t post here often, but I wanted to throw out some food for thought:

    The large divot could be from where a tree was previously cut down. If the stump wasn’t completely removed from the ground, it will create a depression as it rots. You can level it as needed every few years until it stabilizes.

    I’m completely perplexed on how your pH is on the low side with that much calcium, but I’m also not a soil expert. It makes me wonder if the test or sample was tainted somehow. Calcium is used to raise pH. Where I live in TX we have so much Calcium it’s not reasonable to lower the pH.

    Houzz forums likely aren’t the best place to find quick and reliable info, although it’s where I got my start (it was different forum back then). DC Hall gives great advice here. If you google “lawn forum” you can find a couple of other places with more active communities. I would post in a couple (ATY and TLF are both great) and see if you can’t get this on the road to recovery a little quicker.

    One other thing to note… our lawns and landscapes are part of nature. They are dynamic, and you may find many different solutions to your problems. The most important elements of lawn care are: water, sunlight, mowing, and nutrients. You don’t have to get these perfect to have a nice lawn… just good enough to keep the grass healthy and growing. Also, frequent visits to dedicated lawn forums have been known to cause what many view as a “chore” into a hobby.

    Best of luck,

    Wes

  • 4 years ago

    Wes,


    Thanks! I will for sure check out other forums. DC Hall is great and is the reason I got here - I googled his username and this one popped up.


    There has been no real change since I last posted. I have totally bare spots still and it's kinda driving me nuts because a) it used to be great and b) I don't know what caused it.


    But, thanks!