Software
Houzz Logo Print
marthafish

Change the floors yes or no?

4 years ago

I recently bought a house that I love almost every thing about except the tile back splash and the tile floors. I’m definitely changing the back splash, but I can’t decide whether to change the floors or not. There’s so much of it I can’t change them to wood, but I could put luxury vinyl planks over it. On one had, tile is much more durable, so why put something cheaper over it? But a wood look would be more in style.

luxury vinyl planks
leave as is

Comments (20)

  • 4 years ago

    "Wood look" is never going to be "in style" (I hope!), or at least not for long. I'm inclined to live with quality materials, whether or not I like them, I'm too cheap to do otherwise. If I needed to change the floors it would certainly be to real wood.


    Anything that anyone tells you "looks like real wood" doesn't.

  • 4 years ago

    Invest in the backsplash and lots of beautiful rugs!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Floor tile has become a very dated look in most homes. What flooring do you have in the rest of your home? Can that be matched and extended into your kitchen? That would give a much more cohesive look it it is doable. Good luck!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO tile floors might last forever but yourknooes and joints won't with them . But laying a LVP over top will create all kinds of issues like the appliances for instance will not fit for sure not the DW so be awre of all the doors in the house needed to be trimmed , it is opening a can of worms. If you want change remove the tile IMO then do whatever you like for flooring. IMO that tile is really dated and does not work even with the counter let alone that backspalsh. I too ask is this flooring everywhere or just the kitchen ?

  • 4 years ago

    The flooring is everywhere except the bedrooms which are carpet. That’s why the cost is prohibitive. I hadn’t thought about the dishwasher, etc not fitting. That’s a good point. Thanks.

  • 4 years ago

    Wow that backsplash is something else! Changing that alone will be a huge improvement.

  • 4 years ago

    If removing the tile is cost prohibitive, I would invest in rugs that take one's eye away from it.


    Also invest in having a professional company come and really wash it and restore. It is amazing what that can do even if the tile and grout doesn't look "dirty".


    I would probably change the backsplash because it is busy and - god I hate the term - but realistically it is dated. And it was never attractive to begin with even when it was trendy. The counter also fights with the flooring and somehow emphasizes the splotchy browness of the three elements.

  • 4 years ago

    I'd get rid of the tile but don't put anything over it, you'll just be wasting your money and as Patricia stated it's going to open up a can of worms and now your floors will be too "tall" for everything else in the house. You can remove the tile yourself if you're willing to put in the work. Maybe start with a bathroom that doesn't get a lot of use to see how easy the tiles will lift up. I've had tile in a bedroom that I can demolish in an hour and I've had tile that took me 2 days to remove in a hallway. You'll never be happy with the tile. It's fine to renovate little by little, room by room.


    Also, I completely disagree with another commenter about not using "wood look". Just because a material is "quality" does not mean it is appealing or doing anything for resale value. I've seen a bathroom decked out in floor to ceiling brown marble tile and it doesn't matter that it was marble, it was horrendous and any potential buyer is just going to think about how hard it will be to remove it all.

  • 4 years ago

    I would just change the backsplash. That one is way too busy for the countertop. I like the floors, it is the backsplash that is awful.

  • 4 years ago

    I highly recommend LVP flooring ….not so cold to bare feet…not so noisy to walk on…much easier on the back…not slippery when wet…way less maintenance…no grout…it is worth it to remove the tile for this much better surface…choose a high quality ..believable..light color product…after 10 years we still love ours and have not had any signs of wear….

  • 3 years ago

    It was too expensive to change the floors. Ended up hiring a decorator who thought we could make the floors work. I changed the paint color, granite, fire place and backsplash. It’s still a work in progress, but I love it! I need a picture of the fireplace!

  • 3 years ago

    Turned out nice!!

  • 3 years ago

    Looks amazing!!!

  • 3 years ago

    Very nice. Enjoy!

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 3 years ago

    The new backsplash made all the difference! So pretty!

  • 3 years ago

    The new backsplash is beautiful. Not fond of the floor however. Maybe a different color tile? We have engineered in our kitchen but I worry that it will not last bceauise water always seems to escape from the dishwasher when we open the door.

  • 3 years ago

    @margaret6557, it was going to be more than $60,000 to change the floors because it’s every where. Putting LVF over it wasn’t going to work like I thought. I needed to rip up the tile. It just wasn’t in the budget.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The floor looks fine. You did a a great job. I even liked the countertop. What I could not STAND was the backsplash! It was horrible! I do like the counter you picked, as well as the backsplash.

    I have seen so many awful backsplashes, I wouldn't even put one in my kitchen. I just painted the walls.