Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_kelleherscire

add character too simple front

sskell skell
last year

I love the simplicity of my house… but now I realize it’s too simple. How can I add interest, character and curb appeal. I get minimal sun in the front so it makes choosing very difficult. I’m open to any creative ideas. Thanks

Comments (23)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Need photos......

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry. I thought I attached

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

Walk from driveway into backyard.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

We seem to be missing any views of the front of the house. Which I thought was the topic......

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

I’m sorry. I new here. I posted the wrong pictures. I have two posts. I apologize. Here is the front of the home.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

It's a pretty basic color scheme. Is all this brand new?

It's not like you can add shutters to the windows to create more texture. The house could use more white time but you have few architectural details that can be enhances.

• kandrewspa
    last year

Based on the pictures Beverly posted, it would help if the trim around the windows was more substantial. I don't know if you will want to do that if you just finished building the house, so I will suggest you make an investment in landscaping. New construction - blank slate. If you're short on funds, have a designer make a plan that you can implement in stages.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

Do you live where it snows? Even if you don't, your drive is a nightmare. It appears that there is not a turn around which then forces some one to back all the way down the drive and out onto the road. The brick fence is attractive. Is the driveway a final product now? It's hard to tell in the picture.

If you can straighten out the drive. it will leave areas for landscaping on the left side of the house. Or at least green grass instead of a driveway. It also will make it easier to guess where the drive is if you live in snow country.

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

Driveway is large enough for three point turn. The house was a knock down. Kept driveway and layout of original
    Home. Wish my architect would have been more creative. I’m only noticing the flaws now.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Pergolas on the left and right approximately where Beverly put the white belly band on her pix. Add much bigger trim to the windows. See this link for the plain before and this gussied up after.

Seattle Exterior Facelift · More Info

• palimpsest
    last year

I know it's very popular right now to hang about 5 different materials on the outside of every house, but there is nothing the matter at all with a plain clapboard house.

• olychick
    last year
    last modified: last year

I love the look of your home. I especially like the size and symmetry of the windows. So many houses being built have windows that don't really look good with each other...one of this, one of that. Too small for the walls, etc.
    I also like the simplicity of the roof. My eyes are so weary of all the different peaks and pitches slapped on homes these days, and as Pal notes, all the different materials that seem to be unnecessary add-ons that just confuse the aesthetics.Landscaping is going to enhance everything.

It's not too simple. It's simply wonderful!

• K Laurence
    last year

Looks good, just needs some nice landscaping.

• Sigrid
    last year

Simplicity is great. Houses cluttered up with "features" often end up with awkward interior spaces snd fewer windows. Your windows are nice and big. Focus on the yard. And remember the song: if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with.

It is so true for homes.

• Jilly
    last year

Simplicity is what I like most about your house. It’s very welcoming. It just looks stark right now, as there’s nothing grounding it to the spot.

Agree with others — just landscaping, not mucking up the architecture.

I’d call a landscape pro to come out. I think you’ll need raised beds in some areas. A pro can advise on specific plantings, and varying heights of things that will enhance.

Hardscaping, curves, and plants will make a huge difference. Hanging baskets on the porch, potted plants, etc, too.

• jck910
    last year

So many things right about your house. Only thing I would do is paint the door a brighter color and the sidelights white to match the trim. Maybe move the foundation plantings into a staggered configuration rather than the straight line.

• PRO
    User
    last year

I would add a white garage pergola, hang two large ferns from your porch, and then focus on landscaping.

Lovely home!

• doods
    last year

If it were me I would straighten out the driveway if possible, so that it comes straight up from the road to the garage, I do not like it cutting off the front of your house. Then landscaping, and your house would be beautiful.

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

Driveway is not moving… degree of land slope would not allow for it. Thank you everyone for your constructive criticism. I do live outside of Boston. So seasonal changes to landscape are a given. I will call a landscape designer to come check it. I’m happy you’re all so complimentary of my home. Warms my heart ❤️

• l pinkmountain
    last year

If you can't afford a landscape designer. go to the library and peruse the landscaping books and find one that has good explanations about "foundation planting." A lot of houses (like mine for example) don't even have a cement foundation so they don't really need foundation planting, but it doesn't hurt. In your case, you are a poster child for needing it. There are lot of option, but one problem I see right away is the classic problem of planting LITTLE shrubs too close to the house. Shrubs should be at least 3 feet away from the foundation and 4 is better, leaving room for them to expand and grow to a naturally pleasing shape I can't really tell with yours . . .

I'd make a bigger bed in the front, incorporating the area on either side of the stairs, and perhaps even the walk leading up to the house. Easy peasy to line the walk with colorful annuals to make the place look happy until your shrubs grow.

A hanging basket is another way to spruce up the front.

You can google foundation planting too, and find some ideas. I'm a big believer in copying/recreating looks I like in my yard. Color schemes, shapes of plants, etc. You can take your inspiration photo with you to the plant nursery. You don't have to have the exact same plants as the picture, but think "OK, evergreen there, small flowering tree there, red foliage plant there, etc. etc. There are lots of options. Check out these tips.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/foundation-planting/

• sskell skell
    Original Author
    last year

Pinkmoutain… great advice! I’m on it. Thanks

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    last year

The house facade is very pleasing; simple = timeless.

But the trendy black window mullions are doing them no favors; black makes these windows look like black holes. Either paint them white or strategically light the windows for any photographs.

Painting the entry door white is a simple step. Maybe add window boxes with white flowers - see examples in link below.

Source: Are Black Windows the Best Choice for Your New Build?

https://mariakillam.com/black-windows/