Software
Houzz Logo Print
adam_hassett

Tile behind microwave shelf?

4 years ago

Kitchen remodel that includes new cabinet doors, counter tops and splash. wondering what people think of installing tile behind the microwave?


Comments (13)

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, finish off the wall so it is complete,

    so it looks great with or without your current size of microwave.

  • 4 years ago

    Are you talking about the unit that is in the cabinet? If so, I would not.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, the part justbehind the microwave. above that there are caninet doors

  • 4 years ago

    Can likely be done and assuming location is above stove, but consider that microwave may protude a little further out due to tile thickness behind it.

  • 4 years ago

    No the location is where the microwave is now.

  • 4 years ago

    Sure! Don't have to but it might look nice. Whether or not it's worth the effort depends on the tile.

  • 4 years ago

    I would not tile it. You already have a finished white-painted cabinet back which blends in with the rest of your cabinetry. I think tiling it would be too much adornment and would look odd because it's not expected.

  • 4 years ago

    Thats a good point actually. i painted all the cabinet boxes and left this part unfinished for tile. ill paint it

  • 4 years ago

    I would . im tiling behind my fancy coffee maker that is moving to the space of my old microwave. im ising a small accent tile that is featured in my backsplash

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would not. The MW shelf is part of the cabinet. Also, I would remove that cabinet and shorten it up to match the other cabinets. It will look much better, give you more space between the uppers & counter top, better access to the outlet (which looks like it is partially covered by the cabinet--code violation if so), look & feel a bit less crowded and still leave ample room for the MW.

    Often the backs of cabinets is really thin material and not suitable for tile. When you adjust the size of the cabinet--there won't be much tile visible anyway.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    This is the kind of small kitchen made for a microhood...

  • 4 years ago

    We looked at shortening the cabinet actually. the issue is its designed this way so the corner cabinet door can open…

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, I see that now. Should have realized that. Bummer.