Software
Houzz Logo Print
billy66218

exterior red brick ranch update.

4 years ago

We are making some modifications to the exterior of our red brick 1970"s ranch.

We are removing the 2 middle front porch posts (replacing the shape of the posts) and would like to replace the siding under the front porch windows and the gable end front and back.

The two ideas we have are 1. using a vertical board and batten or 2. using hardie cement cedar shakes. I want to stay with white or neutral coloring. I am hopefully able to post what our house looks like now and the couple of ideas for the board and batten and cedar shakes. Of course all thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Perhaps I should have that vote site that Houzz uses :). Thanks for any input.

current home


example of a house with two front posts removed


current houme, you can see current vinyl siding under window and gable end above


current


one thought of color and cedar shake look


example of board and batten look.

Thanks for any thoughts or any other suggestions...... julia


Comments (29)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I like board and batten look


    juliA thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 4 years ago

    The porch area seems dark even though the sun is shining, is it possible from engineering standpoint to keep the gable roof but remove the siding from the gable and maybe use horizontal beams to support the roof?

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    I think what you are saying is like the 2nd picture where the two middle posts are removed....and I do like that look.

  • 4 years ago

    Exactly, that 2nd photo is what I am suggesting.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    But the horizontal beams can be less obtrusive, so more like this. And you could add a craftsman look by making the base of the columns stacked stone if stone is appropriate material for your area.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    Lovely house! Even though your brick is a fairly consistent color, it’s busy due to the pattern. Adding busy siding or shingles may complicate it. The house looks like it is in great shape, too. I would paint the siding under the porch windows the same color as the brick so it disappears. It should not be a feature. I also think the middle 2 columns are load bearing. You can box them. Do you like the red, white and black color scheme, or are you open to changing the trim and accent colors? Better porch lighting and a lighter color on the front door will draw attention to the entry. Keep the shrubs from blocking the porch.

    juliA thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago

    The colors of the third photo I posted are lovely, but can you see how it almost looks like the homeowner wanted “one of each?” Stone, brick, shingles, board and batten….

    juliA thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Any chance the three windows can be replaced with longer ones so you don't have to add any siding? The alternative would be to remove all the brick in the porch area and do board and batten. Opening up the gable would look great, but then you are rebuilding the gable. If you don't do that add a base board.

    juliA thanked houssaon
  • 4 years ago

    What is behind the three short windows on the porch?

    juliA thanked palimpsest
  • 4 years ago

    Yes, you should be able to easily replace the 3 windows with one, and possibly taller.

    juliA thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate all your ideas.

    1. We do know that it will take LVL beams for reinforcement of the front porch roof before removing the two middle posts. It’s all about the view.

    2. SHADYWILLOWFARM: Changing out the siding under the window and painting it is an interesting idea. I can see how it would help decrease the contrast. Would the color need to be reddish or could it be more cream or taupe? The contrast would be less stark. Would the window trim and posts still be OK if they stayed white. I am personally very tired of all the gray (and sage green) that is popular.

    3. The 3 windows on the inside cannot be elongated or changed to one window because the kitchen counters are there. We reconfigured the small rooms when we got married and kept my husband’s house.

    4. HOUSSAON: What do you mean by “Add a base board”?

    5. We can certainly change the color of the front door to lighter..

    kitchen counters under porch windows




    dining room and kitchen combination


    columns that we will probably use for each end of front porch


    front porch view

  • 4 years ago

    I don't know what the term is, but I was referring to the horizontal board that goes across the base of the gable and rests on top of the posts.

    Notice how the gable portion of this house is covered in board and batten with a contrasting beam at the bottom that rests on the posts.

    Custom Craftsman Home Exterior · More Info

    I'm glad you are going with a square post. It will look much better. Any chance you can get matching brick to fill in the space under the window?

    juliA thanked houssaon
  • 4 years ago

    Boy, this has been eye opening and a little discouraging! Thank you so much for your response and interest. I can see exactly what you are talking about and I also see how we screwed up so amazingly 22 years ago, by choosing to put the kitchen there instead of building it out in the current carport area!. We are 73 and 75 so doing an expensive major renovation does not seem reasonable. Our house is very well built and well maintained. The 3 windows look so bad that I can see how elongating the windows have been the primary suggestion. That would definitely be the first project if possible! My husband just suggested doing an elongated frame type material (I don't know what to call it) that would give the appearance of a long framed window from the front and have the closest matching brick (or perhaps stone, or would that be too many materials?) to fill in under the three windows between the framing. Yes, you can say that it is a very bad idea. :) thanks

  • 4 years ago

    Another option for the three windows would be to take all the brick off under the windows down to the porch deck. Then side the area with board and batten if you do board and batten on the gable. Remove the shutters from the three windows.

    Do a color other than white for all of the board and batten. White for the beam and posts. Consider a haint blue for the porch ceiling. It is so comforting.







    juliA thanked houssaon
  • 4 years ago

    Those 3 cute little kitchen windows are classic ranch, keep them and pat yourself on the back that you are preserving the classic ranch exterior. If the window glass is not triple-pane energy efficient, then buy new windows the same size and pat yourself on the back you are saving on Heating/Cooling costs and upgrading the home’s value.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    I am not sure why you want to change the porch roof. If you just want to remove the posts from the kitchen window view, consider removing the porch roof and doing a smaller roof to cover only the front door, supported by square columns.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    If you want to keep the roof over the front porch, consider adding more roofs

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    If you use the front porch daily, you could add white fencing to add quaintness and to hide the non-brick trim under the window from the street.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    If you want to change the style of the porch roof, here is a ranch with mansard porch roof.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    If you want a barn look for the front porch, Look at the inspo photo you posted with exposed king post and beam, or add 2 struts to it for more detail.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    If the porch roof is in excellent condition and you just want more light to reach the seating area, you can add some skylights at very low renovation cost, but your exterior won’t change if that’s a goal.

    juliA thanked marylut
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I don't like shingles with brick- personal preference but one is formal one is casual- board and batten or stucco somehow feel more related to brick


    Under the windows- remove the siding, add a layer of good 1/2" plywood or hardipanel then use trim to make panels that echo the width of the trim on the windows- lots of ranches have all the window openings in the brick the same size with a couple made smaller with panels. It will be fine.


    As to removing the columns and altering the porch roof structure- seems like a way to spend a lot of money for little gain but I guess that is what we all do- you get just as clean in a fiberglass shower from the eighties as you do from a nice glass and tile shower of today...

    juliA thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 4 years ago

    love all these comments...thanks for taking your time. I will discuss all ideas with my husband!

  • 4 years ago

    Wringing out 1 more idea (I have been taking online creative thinking course) if you like to sit on the front porch and are tired of all the brick, turn the right side into a screen porch

    juliA thanked marylut
  • 4 years ago

    JuliA, your house is lovely, and I don’t think you need to spend a whole lot of money to bump it up a notch. You can paint the current siding under the windows brick red to match the brick. No need to install new siding. Do you need the miniblinds in the windows? It doesn’t seem like privacy is an issue, and the windows would look much better without them. Removing the middle columns and installing a beam might be expensive. May want to sit tight and see what the economy does before committing to an expensive project.

    juliA thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago

    ShadyWillowFarm: What would you replace the levolar blinds with? We have plantation shutters in the bedrooms and living room areas.

  • 4 years ago

    I don’t think you need anything in those windows. Enjoy the beautiful view!!!

    juliA thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • 4 years ago

    When we actually "pull the trigger", as my husband says, I will post pictures. Thank you for all the great ideas!