Software
Houzz Logo Print
maegan_crandall

Which color do you prefer for the front door?

4 years ago

Hello! Our door is arriving soon so I picked up some swatches - it's a plain door without windows and a side window. I am leaning toward these two colors by Sherwin Williams - dark is "emotional" and light is "outgoing orange". Which do you prefer? We still need to fix the stoop - so that is on the list of to-do's! Trim around the door/window will be white. Thank you!




Comments (22)

  • 4 years ago

    Either one is ok, but I prefer the lighter one.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    They both would work good. I like more cedar/wood tone.

  • 4 years ago

    I like the orange but you’ll maybe need to kick it up on the porch flowers to compliment better. Others to consider.

  • 4 years ago

    The bright oranges would look better with all that gray.

  • 4 years ago

    Brighter is better until you can afford to upgrade the door to compliment the contemporary side lite. The builder grade door is just not cutting it with the plate glass side window.

  • 4 years ago

    I like Outgoing, and pull the orange into the porch flowers or pots.

  • 4 years ago

    I like the dark one. Your siding is bold and it needs a bold color on the door.

  • 4 years ago

    Decoenthusiaste - yes door is on its way - it’s just a plain two panel style with side light. I didn’t like any window styles so I went with a basic look.

  • 4 years ago

    Festive Orange all the way! Even the name is fun! 🧡

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I think if you go too orange it's going to look like a Halloween house. The gray is a pretty color and I personally love orange but I'm not loving them together. If I had to choose between those two colors it would be the darker. I'd be looking at some other options:







    I think this looks wonderful, too:


  • 4 years ago

    Olychick - there’s grey brick yes but also navy blue siding - not sure how those colors would look with the navy?

  • 4 years ago

    Oh, on my monitor it all looks different shades of gray, so disregard my comments if it's blue!

  • 4 years ago

    Here’s another shot of the navy - yes others said grey too so I think it’s the lighting

  • 4 years ago

    Either color will work with the brick on the stoop. I like to consider how exterior accent colors will endure during the changing of seasons and holidays- doors, pots, flowers, etc., and also take the climate into consideration. Will the the green grass will be covered with snow for a good while and is it unrealistic to expect flowers to be able to provide support with the color story for many months? Does that influence your preference? I'd have a plan that takes more than just the door color into consideration.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Of the 2 colors, my pick is ”emotional” the darker red. I like the red flowers in hanging basket against the navy siding. I think the ”weight” of the red is a good balance against the strong navy. What are you ”fixing” on the stoop? Any chance of adding a very large pot that matches new door color & placing it under your porch light against the gray brick? I'd plant it with a bright green evergreen type plant, maybe a dwarf conifer, so you have that tie in & color pop year round. Keep your black pots with your pretty annual color.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    The siding looks quite grey/blue on my screen, how about BM's Hale Navy?



  • 4 years ago

    One more consideration - what color is the entry to your home? I chose a red that is repeated in my slate flooring so that it works when the door is open. Yellows and Oranges complement blue beautifully and will give you that pop of color, but one may work better with your interior colors.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks everyone! Yes, the brick is painted a medium grey and the siding is a navy blue. I live in the NE so definitely will have snow for a bit. I do love light green against those colors. We need to fix the stoop - you can see the old red bricks still. Our entryway has a brown stone floor - still original and we haven’t fixed/changed anything in that area yet. The roof is still brown too! It’s a work in progress - and yes, hard to put it all together!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We get it, most projects are works in progress - if it's going to be a while before the roof and stoop are replaced, consider ways to link the colors and make it look intentional. You could go with the orange door and add cedar elements like a grouping of planters in the beds in between and on each side of the windows with taller evergreens, and flowers or bulbs underneath for brighter color. Terracotta pots are also a possibility and the warmth of the orange tones will look nice year round.

    You have a nice wide landing, you can add another color link of the browns, navy, gray with an outdoor rug and layer a coarse coir mat on top in front of the door for muddy shoes. Mulching the beds can also add a warm color link.







    Layered mats:


  • 4 years ago

    are you getting a diff door, by chance? I think it would make a huge improvement.


    anyway, here are some photoshops of all diff colors and doors. see what you like

    gave you a new light and address numbers w/a more modern door


    any of these vibrant colors would work.


    warmer colors?

    the lipstick red is pretty (I like this door style too)










  • 4 years ago

    I like the orange but maybe look for more of a burnt orange. Looking good, Maegan!

  • 4 years ago

    I would choose the orange. Red doors are so over done.