Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Confirmation that there is no disease on this hosta

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
last year
last modified: last year

A new acquaintance of mine and I exchange a few plants per year. This year this friend was busy but told me that she had some hosta in pots that I could pick up. She wasn't home when I picked up the hosta. I'm kind of mad at myself for taking the 3 pots because (1) eliminated that particular hosta from my garden because I wanted to make room for other hosta and (2) they didn't look well. What was I thinking!!!!!!

Eventually I texted her and said that I would have to return one pot because I didn't have the room in my garden for them. She said to find a home for it as there had been a death in the family and she couldn't deal with it now.

So my question is: do they look OK to you?

I think that they suffered from frost and that's why some of the leaves got deformed. (I have removed some of the leaves.) I don't think this is some kind of disease or virus. Do you agree? I need to find a new home for them. I certainly don't want to pass on sick plants.

I believe this is undulata erromena.

Comments (11)

• bkay2000
    last year

This is what HVX looks like on Royal Standard, another solid green. I'm not sure of yours either way.

bkay

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked bkay2000
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

can i ask why you have a potted erromena?? ..

is it your only one .. if not. then just throw it away ...

ken

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    last year

I see the virus on yours bkay. Thanks for the photo!

Ken, a friend gave the erromena to me. If I don't want it, I am supposed to rehome it (friend's instructions). I can't rehome a sick erromena. It doesn't seem to display the typical hosta virus symptoms, but we all know there are other diseases. All I can say is that we had a long period of spring cold. A few of my hosta didn't want to emerge. I thought they were dead! But all of them eventually grew.

• bkay2000
    last year

Actually, that does look like cold damage. My Fragrant King has that kind of damage this year. I probably won't have time to photograph it today. Here's an old photo of cold damage.

bk

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

Cold damage to me although you can look and magnify pics of most suspicious areas?

With cold damage if second flush grows clean you likely have no problems.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

I agree with NHL, lindalana and Ken. I don’t see HVX on the hosta. It’s probably cold damage as suggested——- so if you don’t want it, dump it and lie to your friend (sometime after you send her a sympathy card……the hosta is the least of her worries).

BTW, Ken, who the heck is Chris??????

debra

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • bkay2000
    last year

Chris, was the co-owner of Hallson's. It was a great hosta source. They closed a couple of years ago. He moved to Europe.

bk

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you bkay2000, I have heard ken mention Chris, but did not know who he was. I also remember when they closed…….many people commented on it.

Also, why is there no listing for erromena in the HL?

debra

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • hosta_maker
    last year

Undulata Erromena

its what neophytes call the green one

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked hosta_maker
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    last year

bkay, does look like your picture of cold damage.

lindalana, I can take some pictures that are closer, but I have removed some of the worst leaves already. I'll have a look.

Ken, your get rid of it approach is refreshing. I do have to say though that there are people here that will pay for that hosta---not much---but a few dollars for a 2-3 eyed plant.

Debra, so you should be able to find Undulata Erromena in the HL now.

I do miss Chris's comments on the forum.