Software
Houzz Logo Print
forumuser1

Just bought -70s starter home in Florida - need interior color ideas!

4 years ago


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


1800 SF Single Story · More Info


Comments (11)

  • 4 years ago

    Hi All, this is an 1800 SF 1970s home in Florida. Just purchased. House had been sloppily remodeled prior to sale. A couple of basic interior design issues: paint is pinkish against basically tan/brown countertops and tile, large lighting fixtures leave massive dark areas - kitche, FR, and master bath. First thought was to repaint to something like BM's White Dove or Pale Oak, leaving the white trim, and replace the large lighting fixtures with 4" snap in recessed lights (kitchen, FR and master bath) and a large ceiling fan. Thoughts?

  • 4 years ago

    Comments, please!

  • 4 years ago

    Hello and congratulations! The house looks really nice and will be fun to re-do. We are in the midst of a renovation started a year ago and I can't being to tell you how helpful the folks on Houzz have been. I painted the walls SW alabaster and the trim SW extra white (high gloss). The ceiling is also SW extra white. At one point I had three different white ideas and a Houz-er recommended simplifying and I couldn't be happier. Your kitchen cabinets look like they are in great shape. if you like the layout of the kitchen, maybe just change out the counter tops. Another thought is to paint the cabinets. I did my cabinets in SW extra white as well. (To match trim and doors.) I think going relatively neutral at first is really helpful and you can start to add in color as you get more settled.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi, and thanks, trendtown.


    Replacing the countertops is not in budget - they are almost new granite, just a pretty awful color - I think they were budget or just different taste 😱 Cabinets are really nice, and while I did a remodel in another house about four years ago - repainted cabinet uppers in BM White Dove (Advance) and lowers in gray - and they still look great, Advance very forgiving, and leveled so well, you can't tell they were brushed unless you carefully examine. Walls were BM Pale Oak, but we wish we had gone White Dove on the walls, too. All trim was White Dove. Big focus will be lighting changes - very inexpensive now using the 4" clip in LEDs while daisy chaining them - attic access not even required. If we did go with White Dove eggshell walls, and White Dove semi gloss trim (BM is a bit shinier than SW), would it be too monolithc?

  • 4 years ago

    Hi. I don’t think so. I think the so but there are so many people on Houz that so good with color I would defer to them.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi again. I hit post too soon. I don’t think it will be too monolith but I am definitely not an expert! There are others on this site that are terrific with color so hopefully they will respond. I think you said you are in Florida so white would be crisp and bright. Regarding the countertops, they will look entirely different with new painted cabinets. In some cities you can hire color experts/consultants to come for a consult. Might be worth it!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    There is no rule that says you must use a paint throughout that is white or off-white. You are in Florida; fight all those brown/gold 70's colors with B.M. Constellation. Choose B.M. Chantilly Lace for the trim and ceilings.



    In the bathroom, paint the mirror frames shiny white and wallpaper.



    Spoonflower peel and stick wallpaper.


    Curtains: gone.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks, judianna.


    Agree on curtains ... 😂


    We're in the no wallpaper club ... removed so much of it ... sorry ...


    And, now a funny thing - I'm a non-green person, also ... sounds boring, I know.

  • 4 years ago

    ulisdone, Thanks. Agree certainly with not being too stark with all the brown tan tile, and brown cabinets. We have some BM Pale Oak from a rental house - thought would try and room and see if it works? Ceiling pucks ok for kitchen and bathroom? I like under cabinet lights! I think I can snake wired to make low voltage work.

  • 4 years ago

    Try SW Antique White. It is a soft off white with no blue or gray undertones. I had Home Depot mix that color in Byer and I love it. I did flat on the walls and ceilings, semigloss on woodwork, and eggshell on the kitchen walls (it is easier to clean).

    Yes, I had to rip out wallpaper in our house in 1980, never again! It was wall CLOTH put up with paste over unpainted and unsized sheetrock. .