Software
Houzz Logo Print
happyde10

Update dining room without changing it all.

4 years ago

Hello all,

Here is our current dining room. I would like to update it a bit but not changing everything entirely. I want to get rid of the China cabinet ( not sure if anyone would take it by itself ) but would like to keep the table and chairs . I think I would need a new chandelier, new art , rug and drapes but I am not sure which color/ style to pick for each of them. I am also
Open to change just the arm chairs if it can bring a good change. All ideas welcome !

Comments (66)

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I would remove the hutch (including bottom) and center the table in the middle of the room. Replace existing window treatment with ivory curtains (I would also get a more transitional/modern curtain rod and have it extend almost to the walls so you can have the windows completely clear when the curtains are opened), replace chandelier with something a bit more streamlined, and put a more casual centerpiece decor. To break up the dark furniture, see if a light-colored runner will work. If changing artwork, consider lighter-looking frames.



  • 4 years ago

    Thank you @la_la Girl. If I could move things myself , it would have been all gone by now.. lol..


    Thank You @RTHawk, thats really like something I would want. Thank you for your time.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Have you thought about a rug beneath the table to break up the dark wood on dark wood?

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Yes, but I have a kid and our friends and families also have younger children and so usually our floor gets really messy after our parties. It so easy to clean the floor and under the table without the rug. As you can tell, the table is super heavy , its impossible to move it to clean underneath.

  • 4 years ago

    a rug would close this room in anyway.

  • 4 years ago

    Yea currently there is no space for a rug really.

  • 4 years ago

    I finally got the drapes down . :)

  • 4 years ago

    Already better!

  • 4 years ago

    It might be a good idea to establish what you want to replace it…then let people suggest how you can get there on your budget…these pieces are too stylized to convert in any substantial or aesthetic way

  • 4 years ago

    @btydrvn beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

  • 4 years ago

    Disagree. Slipcovers could go a long way to change the room's appearance. If the chairs are comfy, start with slipcovers, then evaluate. You could always slipcover the chairs and replace the table. A quality table is more affordable than 8 quality chairs.

  • 4 years ago

    Agree @macaroll16, yes slipcovers are in my mind. I first wanted to take the drapes down before I do anything .

  • 4 years ago

    Removing those drapes did make a huge change/ improvement

  • 4 years ago

    Your chairs have a great shape, slipcovers would look great. Since you prefer no rug Maybe the 2 end chairs a different slipcover color.
    This picture has 2 different chair colors and drapes to match.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank You! Thats a nice idea..

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Slipcovers are a good way of updating the chairs. A tablecloth would also be a good way of concealing the very traditional look of your table. If you eliminate the china cabinet then you pretty much have a blank canvas to work with. You can install new, more modernized window coverings. New artwork for sure. You could also consider changing your wall color as well to something brighter. Might also suggest a rug to anchor your dining furniture. Good luck!

  • 4 years ago

    Can you remove the top half from your hutch?

  • 4 years ago

    I would not try to save any part of that hutch, unless there's a good place to relocate it. It's forcing the table off-center. If it was one big picture window OP could swag the light and ignore it. But having the table off center from that 3-part window is jarring.


    Is there room to move the hutch to the other side of the arched doorway, where one of your pictures shows a plant and a small crate?

  • 4 years ago

    There is nothing much I can do with the cabinet for now. I don't have a place to keep it partially or as full piece anywhere else. I had put it for sale /donation but since its a big heavy piece, I didn't get much interests. Also, even though its not aesthetically pleasing, it gives me a lot of storage space. Anyhow, still waiting for a buyer.

  • 4 years ago

    Could the cabinet go just outside the room near the stairs? Would there be enough room to walk around it? You could still use it for storage. Perhaps put lace or use a product to obscure the glass. If you did that you could centre your table in the room. You could perhaps put the two end armchairs by the window with a little table in between. I agree with slipcovering some or all of chairs and trying out a tablecloth or runner


  • 4 years ago

    It’s our entry way opposite to the table , so not really a space for it. The room next to the stairs is a coat closet and cannot fit the cabinet

  • 4 years ago

    No, that won't work then. The first picture was deceiving - it looked like there was a large long wall. I wonder if the china cabinet can fit on your upstairs landing instead?


  • 4 years ago

    No that area is not wide enough for this cabinet.

  • 4 years ago

    That cabinet would make a gorgeous centerpiece in a butler’s pantry. I’d keep trying to sell it if you don’t have the space for it. Somebody out there wants it bad!

  • 4 years ago

    Ok, so if the cabinet stays, for now.

    take the leaf out of the table, and remove 2 of the chairs, that will open the room up a lot. and probably allow you to center the table.

    I think the slip covers are really going to help soften the space. and going back with regular curtains will as well.

    But the real thing I think you will find will change the room is the chandelier.


  • 4 years ago

    Thank you

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    So I have been looking into slipcovers . I couldn't find a ready made one that would fit the arm chair so I reached out to some local shops that can customize them. The quotes are very close to getting a new chair as they come on "sale". I researched some more into mix-matching chairs, so If I were to just swap the head chairs, what style would go with them?

  • 4 years ago

    How about just storing the head chairs elsewhere for use when needed, and leaving ends open most of the time? I also wanted to add that I like the chairs as they are, particularly if the upholstery is real leather. Fabric would be much harder to keep looking nice.

  • 4 years ago

    Yes, they are. We have had it for almost 10 years and they are still looking really good. We do have room to keep 2 chairs separate, except my husband is going to think I am crazy..lol

  • 4 years ago

    If you don’t need privacy in your dining room, I would consider not having drapes at all so you can maximize the light. I love the brightness in this photo.


    Kiawah Vacation Home · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    It will be pretty difficult to find slipcovers for armchairs. You can go with just the 6 chairs or the 2 end chairs something different. Just saw these at wayfair

    happyde10 thanked T Ciardiello
  • 4 years ago

    The light is great, but we had problems with the sun fading the finish of our dining room table top. The extra table leaf no longer matches.

  • 4 years ago

    The window treatment in your living room is lovely. I would just repeat that in your dining room.



    happyde10 thanked ffpalms
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I am thinking of leaving the window treatment till the end until i figure out everything else. If I get to sell the cabinet, that would give a lot of choices, I believe. I don't need curtains/blinds for privacy there. Its a south facing window, so I am not sure if fading will be a problem?!

    But is it going to be ok to leave one room without any window treatments? As you can see, I have them in our living room.

  • 4 years ago

    I thought from pictures that your kitchen dining was next to the living room. I noticed kitchen window treatments were mentioned in another discussion. Or am I mistaken?

  • 4 years ago

    I would think a dining room is typically a more formal room and would probably look nicer with something on the windows. They can be stationary panels or sheers may give it a more finished look. IMO it’s the best way to tie your design together with a beautiful print drapery design. Also a great chandelier is the finishing touch!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Each room needs to be treated differently. Your dining room window needs a window treatment.


    Why not consider selling all of the dining room furniture and not just the cabinet. Someone might have more use for all of it, rather than just the cabinet.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks @RL Relocation LLC that link is broken though.

  • 4 years ago

    Look up sure fit on Amazon

  • 4 years ago

    I saw them, but couldn't find for arm chairs.

  • 4 years ago

    I found this one ?

  • 4 years ago

    It’s taking me to shoe store ?!🤷🏻‍♀️

  • 4 years ago

    This is what lead me to the link I sent you. It seems the armchair covers are impossible to find. Maybe custom or check with an upholsterer

  • 4 years ago

    maybe you only have them made for the arm chairs and order the others. this way you could mix up the colors as suggested above

  • 4 years ago

    Yes , I checked with couple of upholsters and the price was close to a new chair.

  • 4 years ago

    Slipcovers for arm chairs look weird - unless you get them custom.

  • 4 years ago

    Not quite sure this would work, but could you divide the room in two? Have the table and 6 chairs parrallel or perpendicular to the window, then the hutch and the two arm chairs at the other end. Think two vignettes. The table could be moved back to the centre

    for larger gatherings.