Software
Houzz Logo Print
saya_yagami

master closet functionality help

4 years ago

I got my master closet done and I love it but I was wondering on the best way to utilize all the space in it. Should I add more stuff or change or what?

Comments (8)

  • 4 years ago

    Have an overall plan before you get or do anything further. In that way, you can have a unified and cohesive space. I hang most of my clothes. All the rest (that is folded) is clothes I hang around the house and sleep in. Therefore, I would recommend that you look at your clothes and how you store them. That will tell you how much hanging space to put here and how much folded storage. I will also say this: one can never have enough storage space. You most probably need at least one full length mirror - two if you want to see the back of your outfits. Also, determine your lighting needs. Here are a few examples of master closets. https://www.houzz.com/photos/query/master-closets/nqrwns Note what you like and don't like. You will probably need black out curtains. Keep in mind that natural light versus artificial light may make some outfits look different from one another. For all items you are buying - measure twice, buy once. I would chose the lightest wall color you can, so you'll be able to see your clothes very well. As well as clothes, also consider space for scarves, purses, hats, belts, jewelry, shoes, coats. Make sure to allow space for the attic stairs to come down when needed. Since I am not the neatest person, I would prefer drawers instead of open shelves - however, for some items like extra large tote purses, open shelving may work much better than drawers.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What was the master plan for the closet? Is if for two people?

    There isn’t much hanging space, really only on either side of the cabinet at the far end, OR on either side of the window. You don’t want the hanging to turn corners, it makes for inaccessible and smooshed clothes.

    When you pull down the attic stair, assuming it’s a fold-down stair, where do you land at the bottom? How far from the window wall? Do you have room to maneuver up and down, with whatever you’re carrying? Is it for storage or for access to the HVAC? If you don’t use it that often, you could replace the cord with an eye and a hook attached to a dowel, and keep the dowel on the windowseat or in a corner.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    IMO walk in closet design is a well thought out plan for the clothes you have and in this one I see no place for short hanging space which in my closet is a lot bigger than long hanging space I aslo think the drawers are too small and a ton of wasted space in the center I have tons of shoes and so always plan on a place for those. If you post a to scale plan with all the measurements marker clearly you might get more help here Lighting is huge issue in closets since this is where you choose your outfits the natural light is great but it also fades clothes so you need a solar shade on that window and a lot mor lighting than 2 pots and some kind of hanging light this space needs to have all LED 4000K lighting and at least from what I see 8 pot lights

  • 4 years ago

    Hopefully you did think this all through before installing all the built-ins. If there is enough hanging space for you that's all that matters. You do have a lot of room left in the middle, so you could put an island with a bench there. It's nice to have someplace to sit to put on shoes and to lay down a suitcase when you're packing.


    French Traditional · More Info

    Closet island dresser · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    I was able to purchase two 9 cube storage pieces and put them back to back -against the wall under the window extending into the closet for his and my shoes we each get a 9 cube piece his cube storage faces his side and mine faces my side —works great for us since closet was a smidge too small for an island —lends itself to storage on top now too!

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    https://innovatehomeorg.com/blog/2021/04/dos-and-donts-small-walk-in-closet-columbus/

    Consider pro’s and con’s of choices, consider your needs and then decide on what’s needed. There are all kinds of articles and combinations on Pinterest.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    You can look for ideas at places like The Container Store website, that have several closet systems. Even better if there is a store nearby you can visit. Closet organizing is different for each person and we can't tell you if you need more! I have never liked the way closets were designed in any of the existing houses I have bought, because they were designed for someone else's needs.

  • 4 years ago

    Don’t judge the mess still moving in and getting settled