Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dale_dailey52

Tannin Pull with Loba Invisible

Dale Dailey
last year

Read all kinds of discussions concerning Loba Invisible AT, so I used it on my newly installed European French Oak. Two problems: turned the wood from a really awesome natural look to a yellow (even though all the pictures I saw on various websites looked clear) and lots of tannin pull. Invisible says that a sealer isn't needed, so I didn't use the Loba Easy Seal. Is this a sanding issue? Solutions? I did our upstairs last year without the tannin pull, but still had the change is color.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year

Did the floors get sanded? Looks like uneven sanding - over/under wood.

• Dale Dailey
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, G&S, for responding so quickly. I appreciate your time. The new floor that I installed was unfinished. When I laid the Invisible down, I experience major lap marks. I think that I laid down too thin of a coat and it was possibly drying before I got to the next section. I continued to lay the second and third coats, thinking that the lap marks would calm down. They didn't, so I decided to sand everything down and start over. I was afraid to use a drum sander, so I used a rectangular "buffer". I used 60, 80 and 120 grit. Now, I'm thinking that I should have just done the full sand and started with the 40 grit. One mistake turned into another. Questions: Would resanding fix this? Should I use Loba Easy Prime? What do you mean by over/under wood? Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. Dale

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year

Yes, you would need to sand it to repair it. The humidity has changed since you originally finished it. It is normal for boards to shift and move.

It can be hard to tell if, Invisble has been sanded off sometimes. What you can do is water pop the floor after you do your first cut, whether it's 40 or 60 grit. Water popping will help reveal areas that has leftover finish.

Easy prime is not needed.

• Dale Dailey
    Original Author
    last year

So, my plan is to resand starting with the 40 grit using a rectangular orbital sander. What do you make of the first picture that shows Invisible definitely changing the tone of the wood? The left side of the picture is the sanded section, and the right side has the Invisible on it. The Invisible side is yellow compared to the sanded section. It's not really close to being "invisible." Thanks, again for your time and knowledge.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    last year

Different batch of finish. Also, depends how well you shook the bottle and how heavy you applied. a slight difference will yield different results. its the main reason why stain repair is so difficult.

• Dale Dailey
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks and God Bless.