Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_54199954

Too many bedrooms???

M K
last year

We’re considering a house that perfectly meets our needs but it has a crazy amount of bedrooms for its size. We need 4 or 5 — including office space and guest room — but this one has 2-3 extra depending on how you count them. What would you do with the extra ones? Would it be weird to take out a wall and connect two very small ones to create a combined kids’ bedroom/playroom combo?? Open to other ideas. I don’t think there’s really a market here for a house with 5+ bedrooms so I don’t think it would hurt resale.

Comments (16)

• Meghan Lusk
    last year

I also have a house with a few bedrooms we don't really "need". Two of them were quite large, so one became the playroom, and the other became a den/movie room. The third became my "mom office" since we already had a room for my WFH husband's office. On top of this we have a third floor bonus space, I don't even know what to do up there yet. For now it's a secondary guest bedroom and home of the Peloton.

So I would say assess the rest of the house and see if there are needs to be addressed. For us, the main floor family room was not laid out well for long-term TV viewing (TV could only go over the fireplace). So that second floor media room has come in really handy when we want to cozy up for a movie.

• er612
    last year

Would help to see a floorplan.

• Ash Y
    last year

Turn one into a walk-closet if those aren't there already. And one into a theater/media room.

And also you're too rich and that house is too much.

• M K
    Original Author
    last year

@Ash Y — thanks for the rude judgement knowing basically nothing about my family, budget, etc. 🤗 It’s not a particularly large house — it’s just that the vast majority of the floor plan is dedicated to tiny bedrooms rather than other living spaces.

• M K
    Original Author
    last year

@Meghan That sounds very similar to our situation. I like the idea of doing a den/movie room!

• kandrewspa
    last year

If the bedrooms are small then it seems like an opportunity to combine two into one and maybe add some walk-in closets. How many bathrooms are there and what size are they? If you post a floorplan you will get suggestions. If the bedrooms are on more than one floor you should show us both floors.

• tfitz1006
    last year

I guess storage and office space are the first things that come to mind. Combining small rooms would be nice.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

You'll get very specific suggestions that are well thought out (not just guesses) if you can post a floor plan that shows the actual situation and location of everything. You will likely be amazed at what can be generated by Houzzers if provided with enough information. Photos also help. Link us to the realty pix.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Consider that you'll have to pay to heat /cool /maintain /pay taxes on this space you don't really need.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

You need to get a sense of humour but honestly move in and figure what you need for space . I agree a floor plan would be huge help. Right now we are all really making guesses

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm assuming you can afford what Mrs Pete is having you consider.

As Patricia mentions, when you move in you can decide how to use the space. Honestly with kids, you will figure it out.

I know a few people who to bump up to next house for the extra bedroom, only to find all bedrooms smaller. It happens.

I like the idea of opening one up for a play/study area.

• Ash Y
    last year

It was a joke but if they truly are small bedrooms than why not just combine rooms to make bigger bedrooms? I've literally never heard of a house with more than five bedrooms that wasn't a mansion.

• M K
    Original Author
    last year

@Ash Y Oh sorry, misread your tone haha. Yeah it’s truly not a mansion, just a very very weird use of space in a basement ranch. We’ve seen 3/2s that are pretty similar sized. I think combining bedrooms is gonna be the way to go honestly.

• mainenell
    last year

You might also use some of the bedrooms to make closets for adjacent bedrooms. I had a customer turn a small bedroom into a pretty elaborate pantry.

• ratherbeatthebeach
    last year

Our house is a typical tract house with four bedrooms but the previous owners combined two to make a very large primary bedroom and built the fourth bedroom when they finished the basement. We love it. I have also used extra rooms in the past for a craft room and a houseplant room with growlights and a humidifier. A dedicated computer room or music room is great is your family is into that.

• violetsnapdragon
    last year

I would combine two.