Software
Houzz Logo Print
lysa_swain

new home no clue

4 years ago

No idea what furniture to get, what colors schemes to use or where to start. Help!!!

Comments (19)

  • 4 years ago

    For starters, a 3-seat sofa and two comfy upholstered armchairs are always a good base for seating. Ground them on a rug that is at least 2 feet wider than the sofa. I love the finishes on your trim and beams. Don't be convinced to paint it all white. It immediately puts me in mind of the "Dark Academia" style which you could do if it suits you, but it is dramatic. However, your architecture is dramatic and can carry it off. Here's a nice overview of what the style consists of.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63I_I6M8aI


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I lived in my new home for weeks without any furniture. I'd sit in a camp chair and admire the floors, appreciate my purchase, etc. Lol I ended up with an entirely different style of furniture than I ever thought of owning, and I love it! I figured out what spoke to me, instead of shoe-horning my choices into some pre-determined style, or (worse) something someone else decided I should have.

    Aand.....if I saw something in someone else's house that I really liked for me (maybe the shape of a chair back or a cushion color), I got inquisitive. I even got permission to measure someone's things because I liked the scale!

    Your house is going to be fabulous. Unique and interesting; keep this in mind going forward.

    Start with some research! Without any preconceptions! Go to some showrooms with actually rooms, so you can see how much space different furniture pieces take up. Wander around. Look at photos in Houzz. Get a lot of info before you spring for a major purchase, especially one that someone else has designed for you. Do you like color? Do you like plants? Do you like beige/grey/white? Do you have kids? Do you like your feet on the furniture? Will you eat at the sofa?

    IMO, get a sofa and two comfy guest chairs, and let them "settle in". Decide if you'll have a TV. See how guests use the chairs. Do they pull them towards the sofa? How distant do their voices sound? Experiment with how far you like them from the sofa. I like mine so conversation is easy and close-ish, but I've seen some folks put them yards and yards away, so chair occupants would have to speak in loud voices. The latter is more formal, the former more friendly).

    Will you have a dog on your sofa? (This is crucial to plan for!) Mine takes up the whole thing lol, and I have to sit on the edge.

    Check to see how traffic works through the room. Are people cutting through your conversations?

    Go from there with the rug, side tables, lighting, but scout these out while you get chair position sorted out. Plants and drapes. Artwork that you love, can see having on your walls for a very long time (good artwork is kind of an investment).

    In other words, consider this organically. Get to know your house, and let it tell you what it "wants", see how friends and family fit in, and let your own taste evolve.

    The alternative is to go designer-y, but then rooms look like showcases at the furniture store, and never seem personal.


    ******

    I'm not sure I'd leave the walls yellow. I'd go for more of a cream. Also, this might make furniture color choices easier.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Start with a sofa that you love, and you can build on that.

    Your space is fantastic, and you can go in any number of directions with it. I would go in this direction.




  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What are you going to do in this room? Start with that.

    Watch TV? Entertain company? Play the piano? Watch your toddlers play? Gaze out the windows? Play cards? Read? Lounge around and look at your ipad? Eat? Work at a desk?

  • 4 years ago

    ^^^Yes! You need to know the function of each room. Do NOT paint until you have selected furniture, fabrics, accessories and art. Select paint last. I would find some pics of rooms you love, and use them for inspiration. It looks like a lovely house, congratulations!!🎊🎉🍾

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I agree you needt o at least decide how the spaces will be used . IMO a bed, a place to eat and a place to sit after a long day are the first things to buy and before even that you need to think of the styles you like. I would sart by telling us what yu love about the house . I agree the wall color is very yellow but part of that comes from that horrible center light turn it off and then look at the space in just natural light. I use LED bulbs everywhere in 4000K it mimics bright daylight has no yellow and mkes every choice for color easier. You need to decide on things like do you love the red wood , the flooring all those big items before choosing furniture . I have lived with a lawn chairs and stools at the counter for months when we have moved into a new space . Do not be in a rush to do this. If you feel overwhelmed get help from an interior designer whose work youlike in their portfolio , just do not rush this. I do agree idea books are great help for us and actully helps you start to undestand what you lke .

  • 4 years ago

    Agree, nice white or whiter paint, new lighting. Please don’t paint the wood trim. The advice here is great, see how you want to use the spaces, and begin with pieces you love.

  • 4 years ago

    Awe!!! I’m so excited! Just with this bit took this from overwhelming to what I wanted it to be. Which is fun! After I get my kids down I’ll do another post with more details! I didn’t know id get this much great feedback! Thank you so much!!!!!

  • 4 years ago

    Few more photos of the house till then

  • 4 years ago

    Master and office

  • 4 years ago

    Few more rooms, may answer some questions

  • 4 years ago

    Hope this helps!

  • 4 years ago

    We close on the home tomorrow! So no worries on the pre buying part. I agree on waiting to see how the house feels etc! We are a family of 4. 2 little girls, 6 and 5, as well as a standard poodle. He isn’t on the furniture much if at all. My younger child has sever eczema so we try to be careful on the type of fabric we get for her sake. I’m a function, comfy and versatility person. Home is a home first! But I like to have everything having a place with options to prepare for anything.
    We love red and not a fan of blues and gray. cold tones and colors are not our jam. Out of the box, bold, and adventurous. Don’t judge it till you try it kind of thing! Love plants but to much care type of plants will end up dying with our busy lives. So hard to kill plants!
    The room with the black fire place has a horrible eco and with 2 little girls its going to get loud fast. It’s the closest room to the kitchen and in all our homes i found we stay close by the kitchen when company is over. I’m sure hubby wants a tv in the room but with how light it is and not really a home for it i think it will be more of a girls will be in there bringing what ever toys they are playing with because its close to where i am . As well as the hang out, talk and play cards with friends or family.
    I dont know what will happen yet, per room its a much larger home then we have ever been in. But i like to get a Game plan of sorts to set us up for success and less stress and rearranging to much. If i missed any questions let me know. Thank you again. This is amazing!

  • 4 years ago

    Looks like huge home, hope you can make it your own. I cant see it hapening without some remodel. Beautiful wood work, but so much of it. Wall colors are not working well.

  • 4 years ago

    Beautiful home for your family!!! You have some really fabulous built ins.

  • 4 years ago

    Agree on the need for some remodeling and on the lots of wood. I hope to find a way to mesh it together without loosing the beauty of the wood we are looking into remodeling the kitchen and I’m pushing for new paint colors. I’ve researched some ideas but all my results only pull up hard wood floors vs accents