Software
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

LG Stackable Wash Tower? Seeking reviews and have questions

3 years ago

Hello,

We are remodeling our laundry area and in the new scheme, have decided to go with vertical W+D unit rather than side-by-side.


I saw LG Wash Tower unit combo in Costco. The height is great (we are not a tall family!) -- and it seems like that will work for our needs. We also need a large capacity unit -- we are used to doing tons of laundry washload.


I am specifically trying to collect experiences on the LG unit, and I am also curious to know, if with just one control panel, if either the washer or the dryer falls apart, then do we need to replace the whole tower?


While on this thread, if anyone has good experiences with other stackable units, then I'd love to hear. Again, my constraints are a large capacity and stackable.


LG Stackable Wash Tower: Costco Site

Comments (10)

  • 3 years ago

    The LG WashTower is not a stackable set, it is a unitary stacked washer-dryer configuration. It cannot be operated not-stacked.

    Pretty much any frontload washer and companion dryer that have controls on front can be installed in a side-by-side configuration or a stacked configuration. There were frontload washers with top-mounted control panels which cannot have a dryer placed atop (such as some 1960s to 1980s Westinghouse models and several Maytag Neptune models from 1997 to 2006).

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you, @dadoes.
    In that case my current W-D both have front controls though both the controls are at the top. I may not even need a new set!! :)

    However if I choose to - then my main question is, since there is one control panel for both, does that mean that it one of the units dies then I have to replace both?

    In other words how good/bad is it in terms of maintenance and longevity?

  • 3 years ago

    I bought a Washtower 5 months ago, so no comments on longevity. I can vouch for its quality and effectiveness though - I am very happy with how it handles my washing needs. The only thing I really don't like is that the dryer cycles - if you choose a cycle - are all too long; fortunately, I have the option to choose "timed dry", where I can choose the heat level and time. I find my clothes are dry in 30-40 minutes at medium heat, whereas many of the programmed times are 50-60 minutes at a higher heat. I figure that would be wasting energy and harming the clothes, so I choose the timed dry option.

    As for replacing them both if one dies: That's usually a requirement for all stacked washers/dryers anyway, since it's often hard to replace just one of a pair that's been purchased to fit on top of one another. I've had several LG sets in several homes and I've never needed maintenance or replacement in less than 11.5 years. At that time, my washer wasn't working well, so I replaced the set (it was not a hardship to replace a dryer almost 12 years old anyway).

    homey_bird thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • 3 years ago

    These pics are examples of non-stackable frontload washers and matching dryers regards to backsplash control panels on top. Three Westinghouse sets of different timeframes and an early 2000s Maytag Neptune (washer on left). Westinghouse at one time offered models with either top controls (non-stackable) or front controls (stackable/undercounter).

    Yes, the entire LG WashTower unit would need to be replaced if either the washer or dryer failed and couldn't be repaired.

    Non-matching frontloader pairs can sometimes be stacked if a method can be devised to secure the dryer atop the washer, even if they're different brands. Same-brand non-matching models typically are less of a challenge. A workaround is build a sturdy partition shelf arrangement with the washer beneath and the dryer sitting on the shelf above it ... then any dryer that fits can be set on the shelf.

    homey_bird, look up the models of your current machines to check for a stacking kit, which is a set of brackets to anchor/secure the dryer atop the washer.





    homey_bird thanked dadoes
  • 3 years ago

    For what it's worth, Samsung also sell separate units that, when stacked, connect via a small data cable so the washer's control panel also controls the dryer. I think the drum opening of the WashTower's dryer is still a little lower, though. It's called AI Smart Dial.

    Since we're on the subject of stacking kits and shelves, I just have to post this picture of basically any German (shared) laundry room. Almost none of these stacks match and not a stacking kit in sight.


    homey_bird thanked whirlpool_trainee
  • yesterday

    I just bought an LG tower, having the same D80 code issues with the dryer exhaust hose as others, plus not heating on the normal cycle. Check out complaints on Reddit. I’m returning mine. I also had my dryer vent cleaned. Towers are aesthetically nice but I might just go back to my old loud GE model stackable, now called a ”tower.” Good luck!

  • yesterday

    Since this thread has been revived, I'll include an update: Over 3 years on, I still have no complaints with my unit. Not better than my previous LGs, but not worse either.

  • yesterday

    Toronto veterinarian- if you had to do it again would you stick with tower or do separate stacking machines?

  • yesterday

    Toronto veterinarian- if you had to do it again would you stick with tower or do separate stacking machines?

    It would really depend on cost and features at the time I'm shopping......I don't feel I'm missing anything that I want, but I don't feel I'm gaining anything I special either. If costs and features were the same, probably the washtower because it was a fast and easy install (previous installations of stacked machines have had installers sweaty and cursing).

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County