Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdubya53

Family room Design Assistance

3 years ago

Greetings everyone. My wife and I need either design help or a marriage counseling as our family room is getting the best of us in the worst way. We are looking for someone/something to help bring the room together.


We have a new couch, love seat and 2 chairs that we want to keep the rest of the furniture can stay or go or be reworked if needed. My wife feels the ottoman doesnt work as the wood and color is a didferent tone from the rest of the darker woods on the table and chairs and furniture feet. I like the contrasting colors as I think the dark wood brings the room down and I lean towards light and airy and dont care for matchy matchy.


We are even open to hiring someone if they can do realistic renderings as my wife can’t envision anything normally until we’ve spent a hundreds of dollars on it and get it home and then she hates it and we’ve wasted money.


So any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Some photos of the room are attached.








Comments (51)

  • 3 years ago

    I agree with Jan. Your space is beautiful, but you have a lot of clashing wood tones and colors. I like your eclectic style. I think your couch could work if you find a rug that will pull the colors together. Your chairs are funky, but it'll be more difficult to work with that pattern. I'd consider reupholstering them, so they can work better in your space. I agree with Jan about replacing your coffee table as it doesn't work. I'd also get rid of or paint the table in-between the two chairs as the wood zone clashes with your floors.
    Good luck! Like I said , your room is beautiful... with a few changes, you'll be able to pull everything together! I'd work with your fixed colors... your floor, stone, wall color as they all work well together.

    JW thanked Ac Lb
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Harmony doesn't mean match; it doesn't negate contrast. .......Whether the room feels warm.........

    Get yourself.......HELP

    Warmly neutral.....






    Or quite cool




    JW thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    @ Oriental Hand painted Art and Design

    What in name of the Lord, does that SPAM have to do with anything the op has in the space, or has ASKED? It doesn't. I will flag it later, but I'm leaving it, so you can come back and either offer something relevant to the OP? Or delete your unrelated advertising. Not the first time........not by a long shot.


  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Wow. First: What can be returned? I get that the furniture is newly purchased and probably not returnable.

    Unfortunately these floors that everyone supposedly "loves" are usually difficult to decorate around. In your case I would get the largest rug possible for the FP/seating area in natural fiber (that complements the floor tones) so all the furniture sits on it. Then find a neutral wall color from the FP stone NOT GRAY. Ottoman has to go. Place display case flat on the wall. Window treatments and lamps


    Good luck you will get there

    JW thanked jck910
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Hi. The room has potential, but a lot of mixed themes going on. The ottoman is very cool and the room itself is very warm. Then, you have a rustic theme going on with a more traditional, formal feel.


    Yes, you can mix woods and fabrics and even some styles, but it has to be done in the right way.


    The first 2 elements most people miss in designing is 1) inspiration photos. (without photos of what you WANT the room to look like, you will be lost.) This becomes even more important when you have 2 opinions in the mix.


    2) The second is a floor plan.


    Both are critical, prior to making any decisions.


    I would be happy to help, if you want to reach out to me, I do 3d renderings.



    JW thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Two pieces have to go: the ottoman and the corner curio. Also, remove the throw pillows.

    Furniture has to be rearranged.

    Put the sofa against the wall; put the two chairs, side by side, facing the sofa; put the loveseat where the sofa is now. This is the effect you want when you are finished...with the loveseat taking the place of the the ottoman






    Rug, art and tables needed.

    For a rug, choose a lighter background that works with the floor. In the pattern you want a bit of the chair colors and the sofa color, and, brown is important, as in the border. You want a large rug so at least the front legs of all pieces goes on the rug.



    JW thanked elcieg
  • 3 years ago

    I love the color in your chairs. I like Judianna’s rug suggestion too. You need color! Grey is not your friend in this room, I’m afraid. Warm it up and color it up.

    JW thanked NagyMama
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The ottoman is really too large for you current furniture arrangement. Is it usable as a coffee table? I can't imagine setting a cup of coffee on it. So, would suggest you replace it with an actual table. I would also suggest rethinking the entire furniture layout. Since furniture can be fairly easily moved I would try switching pieces around until you find the most pleasing placement. I do think placing your sofa on the opposite side (mirrored) would help. You could then place the chairs where the sofa was. That should open up your grouping and keep it from being so closed off. Good luck!

    JW thanked Norwood Architects
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Before making any changes:

    Color: Suggest both of you save your favorite inspiration rooms and you may see some overlaps. Decide on a color you are both drawn to/can agree on and ignore the occasional chair fabric, as it seems to be in contention and driving decisions. If you can make this major compromise, I think you can save money of not hiring someone and use towards reupholstering the chairs. Consider colors that work with walls, flooring, potential rug and adjoining space.

    Furniture: the coffee table has no connection to the other pieces (other than couches). If reupholstering chairs if you both like coffee table (could add a tray for practical purposes), you could have wood stripped and stained to match cofee table‘s stain. I’d remove the bookshelf no matter what and put a plant there. If replacing coffee table, first figure out layout and the best style. Consider furniture in adjoining space as well, to create some harmony.

    Layout: Really important and you’ve received advice.

    Accessorizing: comes last, but is so important; art, window treatment, rug, and cushions. Have a plan before buying and a rug will help drive these decisions.

    JW thanked Maureen
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Thank you all for the help, so very much.

    The chair's fabric is the hill my wife is willing to die on so those are staying. The wall color is also staying as we just built the house two months ago and the family room is open to the kitchen and well everything, so we want to keep the rooms consistent.

    • First off I'm returning the ottoman.
    • Plan to ditch the table between the chairs, and the chest. We kept both for storage but as everyone has said they're not adding anything to the room.
    • Will probably also get rid of the bookshelf thing in the corner as well. Will need to find a place to keep my papas flag but that's doable.
    • We thought of sanding and paint/staining existing furniture but a fresh start sounds like the best bet
    • We are looking into hiring a designer asap! Is anyone local to Maryland :)




  • 3 years ago

    I have a Chesterfield almost identical to the one that you have posted. Have you sat on it???? They are NOT the most comfortable sofas. See those arms? They don’t allow you to slouch against them. They require that you sit upright with your feet on the ground. And, leather can be slippery. For pillows and for backs. When I sit on mine with my legs stretched out, I practically slide off. And throw pillows also tend to slide off. As do throws, unless they are perfectly placed. See where I am going here??? If you want a leather sofa…there are many that are constructed in ways that are meant for lounging more comfortably. TRY before you BUY.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The wife should die on another hill? I get she loves red. I bet she selected the pendants in the distance. Doesn't work well with the pale gray chilly WALLS. walls. Or the stone of fire place. Get a pro face to face. Please.

    Red advances.......boldly.

    What she really wants? Is closer to this palette........and you don't. She wants it with the wrong floor, wall color, and even stone. Whoa Nellie...... A hot topic, and some frosty nights shall follow.........help me he cried.



  • 3 years ago

    Before swapping out couches or getting rid of anything (possible exception of the ottoman), do try a rug and some rearrangement as judianna suggested. The right rug can fix all sorts of issues.


    Nothing wrong with your table and chest. They just make the place feel more personal. That's actually a good thing.



  • 3 years ago

    Given the chairs stay as is, just look to pull room together with different choices. Perhaps only use red in art, ground room with yellow (in rug and cushions) and a simple black coffee table won’t compete with the two chairs (see last picture’s table combo). Hiring a pro is a good decision.




    Your couches look much more comfortable, are easily complemented style wise and better suit the chairs than the leather choice. Don’t throw more money on a new couch that may not work. Accessorizing correctly will be the answer.

    JW thanked Maureen
  • 3 years ago

    Jan- you are so correct! she sees red falls in love and then mucks up everything because of it. IMHO


    Fori- thanks we will try the rearrangement and look at some rugs. We/She was thinking of a neutral rug to add some texture to the room is that a good choice or should we try to add some color like what judianna suggested?


    I saved the photo from Judianna as I like the look.


    Thank Maureen for the art and rug choices. I Said we should use black tables but was overruled as she was trying to match the chairs which I said I didn't think was necessary.

  • 3 years ago

    Neutral bad! :)


    I'd follow Judianna and Maureen on this. More color!


    Wait on table until you get a rug and furniture arrangement. Then you'll know if you want contrast or not and what shape...

  • 3 years ago

    The couches and chairs are great - the ottoman needs to go. I think if you just move it out of the room and take another pic, you'll see how much better it looks. Look at the red one JAN MOYER posted in the red plaid and how it brings another print with similar colors into the room. A rug will really help, too. Are you going to do window coverings? That's another place to bring in some more fabric which could help marry the cool and warm tones in the room. The fireplace has both, so that's a good thing. The art that Maureen pictured or similar would be great. Hiring a designer if you can find someone whose designs you find appealing, but just because someone is a pro is no guarantee that you'll love their suggestions. People post here all the time with bad designs done by pros and not all pro advice on these board is great. So proceed with caution if you go that route.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Re do the couches, less YELLOW sorry....get a rug that doesn't fight the paint, floor and stone, Some soft red in it....... Somebody gives....... TO lesssss red, less jarring.

    Don't force a warm palette on that very cool backdrop







    yes........CHANGE THE CHAIR UPHOLSTERY Cooler tone on the couches

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Always select the rug first when planning a room.

    So now let's go backward and see what rugs will work with the fabric selected.

    It is true that the furnishings selected are warm and the room materials are cool so this is never going to be perfect

    Since the fabric pattern is so busy, the rug cannot be busy. I tried to pick up the citron color in the fabric for this first selection. BTW the ottoman fabric and finish don't work in the room so I have recolored it to make something that works, but you could switch to a wood coffee table for this area.








    JW thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 3 years ago

    How helpful is it to tell someone to throw $10,000 of new furnishings out? Ridiculous! There are many people here who have offered helpful advice to make what they have work together. May not be YOUR ideal, but they can make a lovely comfortable home with what they have and a few tweaks. You must have money growing on trees.

    JW thanked olychick
  • 3 years ago

    The chair upholstery is too great to redo. :)


    You COULD slipcover the ottoman. The type that sort of ties around the legs. The chairs are fussy enough to go with that style. Sort of like this, but no ruffle and a big square of batting underneath to hide the (wonderful) tufting: https://www.farmhouseonboone.com/diy-wooden-bench-slipcover

    JW thanked Fori
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The chair upholstery is great. In a DIFFERENT envelope. Not here. They aren't . Sorry.

    WHO said throw anything out? Re cover.......

    Or.......at the very least? PAINT. The OP is not wanting to paint.

    Mistakes were made - nobody is happy. You DON'T keep trying to paper over a mistake. You go back and see where you "erred" first.

  • 3 years ago

    I think your sofas, chairs , warm and cool tones, could all work together with a grounding rug, that has a SUBTLE pattern and color mix of gray and beige. I would start over with the coffee and side tables , and suggest using white to draw upon the white pillars and millwork in the adjoining spaces. Reddish tone woods ( as in your spindle chairs ) ,dark woods ( as in your fireplace mantle) and painted wood finishes are often combined for depth and interest ( see photos below ) . So I would start by finding an amazing, large warm beige/ cool gray rug to ground the space. Then, eliminate the ottoman ( sell or move to another room? ) and consider white coffee and end tables. Change the furniture arrangement as has been suggested. I think the bold red patterned chairs, as well as the sofas will look great ! Best of luck.

    JW thanked niccidhg
  • 3 years ago

    … more inspiration for mixing wood tones and painted wood finishes…

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Let's work with what you have. Don't replace anything. I'm sure you can DIY with all the tips you have now.

    Personally I like a room with warm AND cool tones in it. Look at your fireplace and floors, they already have the warm and cool grays in them. So does the ottoman's fabric and wood. I also like an eclectic look. The rustic spindle chairs add some character.

    Get a rug large enough to fit the seating and center it with the fireplace. Center the ottoman to the fireplace. Center the loveseat and sofa to the ottoman at a distance for a leg rest. Square the spindles so the seating does not look circular. This is a 'floating' seating arrangement so the loveseat will no longer be on the wall. The rug will make this room. Arrange the furniture then use tape on the floor to measure out the size you need.

    I agree add some color. I like the red/yellow. You have been given lots of ideas here for accessories and carpet in colors and neutral choices. Go to greatbigcanvas.com for the canvas print. It's a fun site and reasonable. We have them in our living room and get lots of complements. Move the console table against the big wall centered with the loveseat, with a table lamp and hang the large canvas there. The display case should be against the wall and not so tight in the corner. Instead of reupholstering the ottoman, get a big red tray.

  • 3 years ago

    …

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I am so sorry so much $ has been wasted already. But maybe it hasn't. Maybe you can keep a lot of what you purchased.


    Whether you work with a designer or not, the first step is to start an ideabook. Each of you will post photos of rooms you love. You may be able to or a designer can help you meld those ideas.


    The next step will be creating a floor plan. Does the corner bookcase look awkward? Yes, but I cannot say there is not a place for it yet. Things can be worked out. Maybe the chairs could be used in another room. I don't even know how many people use this room. I question the tv height......way too high for most people. But, it is what you want....if you love the tv at that height, it is fine.


    These are all questions I talk to you about and I also utilize a questionnaire to obtain more info.


    Until it is known what your goals are, the adjacent areas and what style you both like, making decisons is wasting time and money.


    I have not seen the rest of your house or the rest of this open-concept area. That is all part of what I or another designer would look at.


    I highly recommend hiring a designer. If you want a local designer, you can search in houzz for one. There are plenty.


    Honestly, for my local designs, my process is not different from virtual. (Unless the client wants me to come out and measure and take photos) After that, my work in not in their home. I work with photos of the space and create 3d renderings. After that, I rarely even look at the photos.


    For me, I work with clients on a secure, user-friendly platform that is very visual and with 24-7 communications.


    I suggest talking to several designers, seeing what their process and prices are and going from there.


    Hope this all works out for you!!




  • 3 years ago

    Surely you and your wife wouldn't have gotten those chairs if you wanted everything to be tone on tone gray blah.


    Do some "mood boards" with colors and some without and see what you like better.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks again. We are both separately saving ideas and pics and plan to sit down together to go through what we both like. We just got the ottoman yesterday so we just intend to return it as we have the option to do so at no cost.


    We are going to play around with the furniture placement and have already removed the ottoman from the room and will be looking at rugs tomorrow afternoon.


    The table and bookcase are from our old house and really only made it to this house by mistake as our old house sold so quickly. They were in storage and after finishing the new house and moving out of the old house we just brought everything and forced them into the room. They're both pretty old almost 20 years old so we got good use out of them, and now someone else can enjoy them as we did. I've also been eyeing that spot by the window for a nice big plant.

  • 3 years ago

    Love the chairs and sofa. You are on the right track returning the ottoman. Get a coffee table that is dark-ish. Ditch the corner bookshelf and replace it with a large potted floor plant. Work on artwork for that big wall. Also, puts the chairs and love seat closer to the center of the room and square off the arm chairs instead of having them angled inward. I'd get a rug that is textured and not too busy. Get pillows and throws for the sofas that pick up on one of the colors in the chair fabric.



  • 3 years ago

    I think if you strip away some of the other colors you will find that the sofa's are not so bad with the flooring/fireplace.





    If your wife loves red, I think she should have some red, but a wine red will work much better than a bright red.




  • 3 years ago

    It should be stated that some people don’t find neutrals to be “ blah”, but may actually like using them or even prefer them, all while thinking they can be as beautiful as bold color 🤗. A place for the eye to rest , bringing calm and peacefulness ,undergirding bright patterns and colors, are all part of the beauty of neutrals. I think we all understand that a neutral backdrop can be used to highlight the beauty of color and pattern. That is why art galleries most often use light/plain walls on which to display the artwork. That is why you have a great start to your room with both the beautifully bright statement- making chairs and the pretty , neutral sofas. Different strokes for different folks - monochromatic or high contrast, vivid or calm….it can all be good. There is no need to have ALL brights or ALL neutrals for a room to work , or for it to be exciting,imo ( ie. bright , bold chairs doesn’t necessitate bright, bold everything ). Often, the best rooms use some of each to enhance the other for the best result. —- It’s so great that you are both working together to consider the other’s likes , and to come up with a compromise and common ground ! That will surely result in a fabulous room you will both enjoy ! Have fun.

  • 3 years ago

    I agree with others that the walls are too gray

  • 3 years ago

    I also think an extra large rug would look good. I do not like the colors of the ottoman and would change it but think whatever you replace it with should be the a lighter wood tone so you are not matchy matchy with your side table. I would also not use the matching pillows but instead a nice solid velvet pillow in red.

  • 3 years ago

    Whites never quite work on the paint store apps, but here is a white and a red wall color.



  • 3 years ago

    Beverly’s bold striped rug works for me, but I’d replace the ottoman with a smaller, rounder style like La-z-boy’s Logan ottoman in red leather. (The ottoman goes well with my red/cream/olive large print chairs.)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    This room can absolutely work with those wonderful chairs. No way would I replace them. Lots of great examples and ideas given. Warm and cool tones/grays and tans being mixed in design has been popular a while now.

    The right rug and curtains will be what unifies it all. I do agree that changing the ottoman for something would be a good idea, too. The color and scale looks off. And adding art will give the room life, too.

    We’re seeing this room in a very harsh light — bright overhead lights, night — those conditions aren’t flattering to any house in the world and skew the colors.

    I’d use lamps in this room, I’d never turn that ceiling light on (except to clean or such).

    It’ll come together. :)




  • 3 years ago

    You've got a super challenge for sure due to "acid" colors of chairs, pillows clashing with heavily patterned floor andt heavily patterned fireplace stone. Good that the ottoman is gone--just get something plain--wood and glass coffee table. Lesson here is to work with the "givens" flooring and fireplace, so your neutral sofa is okay, the colorful chairs, not. But if they have to stay, then look for rug and art--not easy.


    Here's the Aden rug from Birch Lane. It's got some gray/ivory/red/yellow.If it looks like a possible, order smallest size to try out colors, then get the big size if it works. Last two photo is a customers' photo with sort of driftwood colored floor.








    I'm including this skyscape even though it has way too much green. However, look at the sky with the hint of green. Background is ivory, tan, touch of gray, some brown at horizon line, then a lot of green. An abstract like that sky with just hints of green, red, or yellow might work against that kind of background.

    Abstract Landscape Modern Minimalist Acrylic Painting on Canvas - 24x24 · More Info

    Not to do a pile-on, but this is a case where a designer or color consultant brought in early would've been money well spent in choosing paints, upholstery, rug, art. Whenever homebuyers are starting from scratch, get an expert in to get off to a good start.


  • 3 years ago

    I'm no pro and don't know the best fix, but reading everything I would say, open concept or not repainting the walls would be the easiest! Just because it's new paint doesn't mean it works. Lots of people repaint right after they realize their first selection isn't doing the trick.

    good luck though!

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    So if you make the seating area an "island" of warm colors when you select the rugs and accessories that could work for the room. Move the bookcase in the corner to a better location.


    I would say we have to work with the paint color because I'm guessing this color is used throughout the 1st floor. It's a great background for art in hot colors.




    I thought I'd try straight red in the room but I don't think it's successful.


    Sorry these rugs look wonky but the angle of the photo doesn't quite work with the app that places the rug in the room.


    This giant leaf rug might work in the room if you would prefer less citron green.






    JW thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    JW, if you could get these same angles of pictures during the day, with natural light coming in, and no ceiling lights on, it might be better for mock-ups. (And without the ottoman.)

  • 3 years ago

    Since the lady of the house loves the chairs, I suggest you re-design the master bedroom to feature them. If that's a no-go, then try the loveseat at the foot of your bed or in a spot that's good for watching TV there. Remove ALL the casegoods; none of them are working here, and you're already planning to get rid of the ottoman. If the TV were properly placed for optimum viewing, you'd be able to put papa's flag in a special holder on the mantel. TV should be with a credenza on the wall where you've positioned the loveseat; the bane of good arrangements and rarely sat on by more than one person. Moving TV will open the mantel for some great art as well. Add a rug in coordinating colors to the art. Don't go too large with the new coffee table.


    Connecticut River · More Info




  • 3 years ago

    PUT YOUR FEET UP on an ottoman! You can't do that with a coffee table. This is a family room, right?

  • 3 years ago

    @traceflyod: Good point about the ottoman. Maybe something less ornate than the one OP is returning.--a couple of these in dark red. Sorry for blurry upload.


    Another painting. I like the ones Beverly posted a lot:


    JW thanked housegal200
  • 3 years ago

    Wow, I think any of Beverly's mock-ups featuring green with the red look fabulous!! I hope they will inspire you.

    JW thanked Olychick
  • 3 years ago

    Here are some white ( ish) square coffee table options for inspiration. I think a lighter central focal point would really freshen the feel of the room . As I mentioned earlier ,it would be a nice tie in with the adjacent room and stunning with your red chairs. A big square would tie all your upholstered pieces together and fit the scale of the room’s size and tall ceiling. Plop a pillow on it to put your feet up.

    JW thanked niccidhg
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I really like Beverly's mockup with the red splotched rug (the 2nd one). Not to be contrary to Oly's preference. :-) I like how the red seems to pull things together since red reads dominant to me on the patterned chairs. I also like how the dark but more open wood table brings together the dark wood on the chairs and the legs of the sofas. Oh and I absolutely put my feet up on my coffee table (which is glass). I wouldn't at someone else's house but if it's my coffee table I will.

    JW thanked pricklypearcactus
  • 3 years ago

    The floors do have a gray wash, which makes them look a little pink/purple. orange reds, Orange, yellow, yellow greens will bring this out more than purple reds, purples, blues, and blue greens.

    JW thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 3 years ago

    Love Beverly's mockups! And they are also the most simple, budget friendly solutions. BTW, I love your chairs and I love the upholstery. One of your comments suggested you've been married for more than 20 years. Clearly you and your wife know when to compromise and when to hold the line. 😍 And when you can make the room look so fabulous with Beverly's suggestions and the chairs, go for it!

    JW thanked tozmo1