Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gini_collins92

ADU as an addition

Gini Collins
last year

I want to build a casita in my sons back yard but may not get zoning approval fir an ADU. dies anyone have ideas on how we can connect the homes so it would be classified as an addition?

Comments (7)

• Sammie J
    last year

Can we get a pic of the existing house, the space where you'd like it placed, and the casita size?

• Gini Collins
    Original Author
    last year

basic design is a 30 x 30 one story. i want to locate it 40-50 feet behind the existing two story house. casita is still in design phase phase.

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

This town is very strict. Because Title 5 determines the amount of bedrooms you can have, an outbuilding could not have anything that could become an extra bedroom. In addition, we must have 10,000 sq ft of land for each bedroom.

It all depends on your zoning, so take a trip down to town hall. Don't waste any money until you find out if you can or can't build. My last town only allowed an out building if it were connected to the house. You could do that with a covered walkway.

Our present town is very strict. Because Title 5 determines the amount of bedrooms you can have, an outbuilding could not have a design that could become an extra bedroom. In addition, we must have 10,000 sq ft of land for each bedroom

• Gini Collins
    Original Author
    last year

Thats interesting. where are you located. adu ADU s are so sensible and are easily constructed in California. however Nebraska is a different story. im going to take a personal teip to the zoning office - try to secure more information then they have provided to date.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

In many places there is a limit to sg footag for additions or ADUs that is why we say take a trip to the zoning office where you are.

• Kelley Dockrey
    last year

It would help to know where the property is located. State and local municipal regulations will dictate what you can or cannot do. 

I would highly recommend finding a local expert who has experience with designing and building accessory dwelling units. 

From my experience, my local building department and  utility agencies have  been slow to educate their employees about regulations that have allowed the construction of accessory dwelling units.

Also, research thoroughly anybody that you might hire. The key factor in selecting a builder was the builder provided physical evidence of their work not computer generated renderings that may look very real.

V z