Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Can I prune these shrubs?

No....no you can't....lol
Just remove them....cut to the ground and plant new 5 or 8 feet out....don't even bother digging them out.....
I sure hope there is a back door....lol
Any guesses on what they are...the MI choices are probably juniper aka cedar...arbs...or yews...
And second how old do you think they are...I should have gotten a pic of the barn for background
Ken

Comments (16)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    last year

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Think of the birds and other critters you could watch from inside the house.🐥

tj

Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

you can tell how gloomy the day got since i said in that other post earlier in the day.. that is was blindingly brilliant outside ...

i also thought about the view out the windows ....

btw... thats a 55 mph road.. [aka unposted] ......there is no where for me to stop and get closer ... nor park and walkover any closer than a football field.. so that aint happenen ...

ken

• Embothrium
    last year

nor park and walk over

Oh, just park on their lawn - they won't be able to see you anyway. I mean, such a lack of dedication to effective pursuit of the subject!

Another thing you could do is show up unannounced with a chain saw, start cutting away in order to find out how it looks. (Speaking of chutzpah leading to arboricide when I worked for an arborist a percentage of consultations involving court appearances were cases resulting from property owners who waited until neighbors were out of town, then hired tree services to come in and top or cut down entirely trees that the perpetrators thought were denying them saltwater views they should be getting. The part that amazed me was not that there were people present here in the land of "view-mongering" that felt so entitled. But that they were always able to find service providers willing to undertake the work - didn't any of the latter ever wonder why the party engaging them came out of a different house from the one on the lot with the trees?).

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Looks like a great green living sound wall and privacy screen for the for noise from 55mph traffic. Who wants to look at a highway and power lines out their back door?

-Babka

Original Author
    last year

oh babs.. this isnt CA... rush hour is over at 4: 15 ... lol ... when there are 4 cars at this corner.. its lenawee county gridlock .. i still cant figure out why is 415.. and not 515 ... work must start earlier out here ....

by 7pm.. you could sleep on the grass in front of the house..and barely hear a car ... i will always cherish that i moved out here ...

btw.. thats the front door ... of which im sure.. nobody would ever park out back.. and tromp all the way around out front ....

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Ah Ken, it's about the view, and privacy from strangers taking photos of their gloriously large greenery. ;-)

-Babka

• rosaprimula
    last year

No accounting for taste. There is a house in one of the streets where I worked, which had a vasty privet/euonymous tangle which filled the little bike park outside the window, and covered the whole window in greenery. Apparently, the house gets a lot of light still, from back windows and side lights. It seems to be about privacy (this being a studently, loitering sort of street, with pedestrians sitting on the walls, a mere 4 foot from the window.

Anyway, evergreens are not pruned in winter (In my book). There would be no chopping until summer...and only then after a careful nest inspection.

• Embothrium
    last year

Looks like a great green living sound wall

Plantings and vegetation have little effect on noise.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Embothrium-

I respectfully disagree.

Go Check here.

-Babka

• Embothrium
    last year

Hey Babka, did you read all of it?

The best way to reduce noise is to establish a soil berm for your plantings: Large mounds of soil thickly planted, as described above, do a much better job of blocking sound than plants alone. Make your berm as high as possible, at least eight feet tall and 20 feet wide, and as long as your property line. A solid, well-planted berm can cut auto and truck noise by 70 to 80 percent and substantially reduce sounds from playgrounds, sporting activities or factories.

You can also effectively dampen noise for a small townhouse or postage-stamp-sized property with a fence or wall. Install a fence or wall with no openings that is tall and dense enough to shield outside clamor. It will work just like the barriers you see along the highway. These types of barriers are far more expensive than your typical garden-variety fencing because they have to be completely sealed.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Yes. I'm in California after growing up in Illinois. Sound walls went on the freeways here and we could hear the noise 1/2 mile away. Once the shrubs and vines grew on them the sound dissapated. They looked better too,

-Babka

Original Author
    last year

im confused ..

after the 8 inches of snow.. there is no indication of ay foot prints to the house.. but it appears someone has pulled in and out of the pole barn garage ...

im thinking the house is abandoned ...

there is a john deere 4400 combine that looks pretty old ... those appear to be form the 70s ... which might be when the bushes were planted .. lol .. id have made a good detective.. clouseau-ish.. lol ... does your dog bite ....???

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=john+deere+4400+combine&iax=images&ia=images

ken

life was so much simpler then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXn2QVipK2o&ab_channel=hill35billy

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last year

Oh boy, Ken... You have WAY too much time on your hands! ;-)

-Babka

• Embothrium
    last year

we could hear the noise 1/2 mile away

Concrete freeway walls are of course built for properties near the freeway. And noise is only blocked at the level of the wall. And not above it. So, if you have ever stood right next to one of these walls - as I have - the effect is of the noise being lifted rather that eliminated.

As long as we are dragging out anecdotes, here's another question for you: have you ever been walking in a forest that a highway runs through?

• rosaprimula
    last year

We have an annual party in the wood and always take a lot of time placing the sound-system. I walk the perimeter of the wood,seeing where sound carries the most. There is no doubt whatsoever that tree trunks make a damn good sound baffle...while we can hear the pub across the river, having their weekly Karaoke session - I have become pathologically enraged by 'Lady in Red' and Way to Camarillo'...which seem unaccountably popular in rural Norfolk.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!