Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irma_stpete_9b

National Pickling Cucumber

I have a new packet of these from Dollar Tree. Has anyone here grown these? Results? I bought them by mistake as I usually stick to flowers and butterfly attractors.

Comments (10)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMPE, it has zero tolerance/resistance to disease here. That's been my experience with most varieties sold on those dollar & discount store racks.

You can certainly try growing it - nothing to lose, and it may do well - you never know...

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I read that the Silver Slicer and Salt and Pepper cucumbers do ok in The South.

I bought seeds for both last year but didn't end up even having much of a garden because we moved. In the past, my biggest problems with cucumbers have been Pickle Worms!

Sylvia may have some good advice on growing cucumbers. She has a magical green thumb for growing vegetables in Florida!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Yes - I was also thinking that pickleworms tend to be a problem in warmer months. If you grow cukes during the cool season tho, not so much.

The thing is, warm/hot season is getting longer and cool season has gotten shorter 😕

last year

Sylvia I am glad you were able to help. I will have to check out Parthenocarpic varieties of cucumbers. Now that I moved to a half zone colder, I am all mixed up on when to plant what now lol. Our last frost date is later here.

• whgille
    last year

Sultry you have a good chance to grow cool weather vegetables, I just harvested red Japanese carrots and watermelon radishes, if you like greens you can do that. I also love to grow onions to use them as scallions and later as bulbs.

I wish you the best luck growing your own vegetables, nothing taste better than that,

last year

I just planted some kale and lettuce here. I probably should have started them earlier lol. I am trying some new winter veggies this year.

I need to get better at growing onions & garlic.

I usually do grow mostly summer veggies but especially tomatoes & peppers. We can or freeze up a lot of them in sauces etc.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I have Egyptian and Welsh onions growing in containers - for years now. They're perennials and you use the tops, not the bulbs. They're much stronger than scallions.

last year

Do you mean the Egyptian Walking Onions?

I have had those before. They seem to do well for awhile and then disappear lol. I'm thinking something must dig them up and eat them?

I have had some success planting the grocery store green onions. I cut the green parts and a little bit of the bottom to use in cooking. I leave the bottom bulb plus an inch and put it in a very small cup with a tiny bit of water and set it in the kitchen window. It starts growing roots and more green tip. When large enough, I plant it in the raised beds.

Does anyone grow Sunchokes/Jerusalem Artichokes? I tried starting some before we moved. They did well for awhile but never multiplied alot. Eventually, I think they either stayed too wet or something ate them too. I wonder if Armadillos eat them?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Yes walking onions, tho mine don't put out very many topsets. I have them in large pots. I think that's why they've lasted longer than if they were in the ground. I've lost count of how many years I've had them.