Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_600106137

Help with area rug for natural maple floor. We removed the red stain.

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The maple floor is back to its natural color. Previously, it had a reddish stain. I've been trying to find a carpet that would work with the current furnishings. These pieces are incredibly comfy. Anything pop into your mind as far as a color to lean toward? We had a cream color rug, but it does not work with the light color maple.




Comments (32)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    at the very least 8x10, I'd go larger.

    Yes to window coverings, both blinds and drapery panels, you've got plent of room.

    Ruggable.com offers affordable options, change out when your interests change.

    Looks traditional furnishing, I'd go with something with a pattern, for sure.


    HU-600106137 thanked Lyn Nielson
  • 3 years ago

    The room is 12x12. The photos make our room look huge. I've heard a lot about Ruggables.


  • 3 years ago

    Blinds and drapery....now that's a thought. Thanks!


  • 3 years ago

    These palettes of gold/black/dark green/brick red, though not necessarily these rugs, would pull the room together. They're dark enough to offer a contrast with the beautiful new floors, have a hint of the red chairs, and dark green/black of the other chair. (Is that chair dark green or black) You'll want to go for the larger rug.

    Aqua Fusion Rug, 7'6"x10' · More Info


    Oriental Weavers Emerson Brown/Gold Geometric Indoor Area Rug 6'7"X9'6" · More Info


    Middleton Mia Area Rug, Rectangle, Maroon-Black, 8'x11' · More Info


    Southwestern Upholstery Fabric, Southwest, Mesa · More Info



    Maybe a single art work over fireplace instead of decor items?

    "Gateway Vista" Original Artwork By Bob Martin · More Info


    HU-600106137 thanked housegal200
  • 3 years ago

    @housegal200...I like the palette selection. The chair is dark green...and VELVET! Yep. Love it. After we find the rug, this is the next project...without the tv. Our tv is in the family room



  • 3 years ago

    I figure to pull the paint color from the carpet.



  • 3 years ago

    Looking at other discussions, rugsusa.com, lets you take a picture and see what a rug may look like in your room.


  • 3 years ago

    If you like the flexability of venetian blinds then getting the natural wood ones to go with your beautiful floor wood (lol) look nice. You could do an inside mount with a natural wood or simple fabric cornice above and outside mount.


    Another option could be to do a woven wood shade with curtains.


    I would also consider art above the fireplace. You could put what's there on the wall between the windows with a much longer narrow table under it.


    Please keep us posted with your progress!

    HU-600106137 thanked Kelly Jones
  • PRO
    HU-600106137 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Instead of the red in the floor, you have stripped down to a lovely warm color.

    This rug is a favorite of mine and, on my screen, it looks great with the chairs and the chaise.

    It is 100% wool, comes 8 x 10, and the price is amazing. Add a good pad (not the rubbery kind).



    https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Handmade-Blossom-Fiorello-Navy-Multi-Wool-Rug-8-X-10/11040997/product.html?opre=1&option=17044609


    For over fireplace.

    HU-600106137 thanked elcieg
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Have considered other arrangements?



    Two chairs, but the chaise could run horizontally with the fireplace.




    HU-600106137 thanked elcieg
  • 3 years ago

    @Kelly Jones I like the idea of woven shades. I switched the chair/chaise. I could not get a good angle. Again, photos are deceiving in terms of spatial quality.



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @Celery. Visualization, Rendering images My hubby likes the your choice while I like @elcieg

  • 3 years ago

    @elcieg I am open other arrangements.


  • 3 years ago

    Oh my goodness @BeverlyFLADeziner, I want to live in that room! The tree makes a huge difference. I'll take the rug...that size art work...and the blinds. Sold!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Try the arrangement in the photo I posted. Run the chaise horizontally to the fireplace with the back to the two side windows.



    HU-600106137 thanked elcieg
  • 3 years ago

    I like your original furniture placement.


    The metal art is nice. Very sculptural. Another nice option could be a mirror, which (unless your fireplace directly faces the front door to the home) - a mirror over the fireplace could be a most auspicious placement, from a Feng Shui perspective. https://www.amordecor.co.uk/blog/the-dos-and-donts-of-hanging-mirrors-above-fireplace/



    I like the rug you have shown - the one from RugsUSA. I think this rug is also elegant.







    HU-600106137 thanked freedomplace1
  • 3 years ago

    @freedomplace1 I purchased the metal art for my hubby. I told him I was giving him the world. The fireplace does directly face the front door to our home. ...so no mirror. Thank you for the photo on the jade rug. Very very very pretty. When my hubby comes back, I'm going to get his opinion.

  • 3 years ago

    @freedomplace1 I knew I recognized your name. You helped with our coffee table. ...which we absolutely love. My hubby was thrilled a decision was finally made. Many thank yous!

  • 3 years ago

    @elcieg do you mean like this?



  • 3 years ago

    Now that I’ve looked at it closer, I see “the World” - and the NSEW. That is fantastic. I love it. Really unique, too. For sure, for sure - that stays! Beautiful and significant piece. Smart too; actually much better than any paper art over a fireplace - according to art preservation circles (i.e. don’t throw the Monet over the fire !! : )


    I’m glad I mentioned the door. And really? So the front door is directly facing - plus very close to - fireplace, and you just walk down the couple of steps and you’re in this sitting area ? A grand entrance.


    I’m glad you like the rug. Also looks like a nice opportunity on that one now.

    HU-600106137 thanked freedomplace1
  • 3 years ago

    I just saw your other reply and I had a feeling this was you!! I remember the ‘137‘ and it went through my mind, but I wasn’t sure; so thank you for mentioning that. And I’m glad you and hubby still love the table!

    HU-600106137 thanked freedomplace1
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I love that Kamo Jade rug. I see Incredible Rugs is sold out on the 9x12 (and which I now realize you are looking for an 8x10). The rug is available through other vendors and a bunch of them seem to have the smaller size in stock, and Incredible Rugs does too. This site has an 8x11 listed as an option, but they are currently sold out on that one; you could check to see when/if it’s coming back, if you can use the 8x11. I haven’t exhausted the search and I know somebody’s gotta have it! :)

    https://rugandhome.com/products/cosmopolitan-kamo-jade-91511-60128-rug-1?variant=21874622431313&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQiAofieBhDXARIsAHTTldqnNyjqCS3fN9evzIHrnXODAdI-Cb7pDrV4uorbc7kOO-a_IoF52SEaAqPJEALw_wcB

    HU-600106137 thanked freedomplace1
  • 3 years ago

    @freedomplace1 I am going to search for it on other sights. I would like to see if I can do a visual pic of it. Get a sense of what it would look like.


  • 3 years ago



  • 3 years ago



  • 3 years ago


    different arrangements


  • 3 years ago

    Second photo below, that's what I had in mind, except turn the chaise so the back is to the windows, but float it, horizontally with the fireplace, CENTERED on the fireplace. That position allows guests to sit on it, facing fireplace and the two chairs flanking fireplace.

  • 3 years ago

    Oh my!!!! Where did you find that luscious chaise?

    HU-600106137 thanked Abby Marshall
  • 3 years ago

    @Abby Marshall I found it at a garage sale about 20 years ago. When the chaise arrived at the original owner's home, the green was too deep of a color....so she placed it outside for sale. It was a wonderful day for me.

  • 3 years ago

    We found a gorgeous wool area rug! Will be purchasing a pad soon. Next is the purchase of a large piece of artwork. We have many local art walks...especially during the summer months. I visualize something colorful. When we see it, we will know it. Thank you for all of your help. Houzzers are the best.