Software
Houzz Logo Print
kendrahhendra

Who makes a high quality wingback recliner?

3 years ago

My husband, who is still in his 40s, has a serious health condition that has been made much better when he occassionally sleeps in our wingback chair. He particularly likes the sidewings as he will also spend hours at night working on his laptop and it is helpful when he can rest his head to the side sometimes. When he sleeps in this chair, we shlep out a dining room chair for him to rest his feet on. We live in an apartment and don't have room for an ottoman. We like the idea of a wingback recliner chair with a footrest that pops out.


For upholstered furniture we usually purchase high end, vintage, used pieces and have them reupholstered for decades, like Baker. Are there any good brands of furniture that make chairs with a deep wing side that also recline? I have found things on Amazon and Wayfair but want higher quality than what I imagine they are. Pottery Barn has one but their upholstery pieces don't seem to me that high quality. Any other thoughts? Here's what he would like:


* Fabric, not leather - he slips out of a good position on leather

* True wings that he can rest the side of his head on

* No overstuffed gaming, slouching, sack of potatoes chair

* Quality furniture worth reupholstering when fabric is worn


Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 3 years ago

    Is your husband a big guy? I ask because the Arhaus Alex chair and recliner is so comfortable. Not huge “wings” and the overall chair is sort of petite. But maybe that’s why it’s so comfy. Fits like a glove.

  • 3 years ago

    He is 5'10 and average weight. I think he really needs the wings though to prop up his head when he is dozing off while working or he'd slump off to the side! Thanks for the suggestion though. I had not thought to look at Arhaus.

  • 3 years ago

    This one by Best Home Furnishings looks nice.


  • 3 years ago

    I assume you want actual wings, and not just a suggestion of wings that would be too narrow to rest his head on.

    https://www.la-z-boy.com/p/recliners/kimberly-high-leg-reclining-chair/_/R-028916

    https://www.potterybarn.com/products/champlain-roll-arm-upholstered-recliner/?cm_src=rel


    Kendrah thanked woodrose77
  • 3 years ago

    My parents have 2 of the Arhaus Alex recliners and my mother and I don't find them that comfortable. Don't buy anything you can't test out. For high quality I would look at Hickory Chair or Century Furniture.

  • 3 years ago

    Can anyone speak to the quality of Pottery Barn upholstered furniture? I hate that they don't have reviews on their website and in my mind I associate their upholstery with not such great quality, sort of disposable furniture after 7 years or so, but perhaps I'm wrong.


    I found the Pottery Barn Champlain in a store near me so I can go and try it. It takes 16 - 20 weeks. Wow, I didn't realize there was still such a backlog on upholstered furniture.



  • 3 years ago

    I'm sure Bradington-Young makes them. They are high quality and not inexpensive.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Taylor King has a reclining wingback chair: the Umpire. It specifically says available in fabric (though this photo is leather).

    https://www.taylorking.com/furniture/umpire-reclining-chair/?category=reclining-sofas-chairs



    They will not be quick though, probably months. It has taken nearly a year for a Taylor King sofa I ordered to be ready to ship.

    Here's a Bradington Young wing back recliner. Similarly the photo shows leather but the website says cloth is available.

    https://www.bradington-young.com/broderick-recliner/4003-816/iteminformation.aspx



    I have heard of Stressless but have no personal experience or knowledge of their quality. Looks like they have a reclining wingback available in fabric.

    https://shop.stressless.com/en/recliners/stressless-wing/p/000000000001161706?pid=116170609415110



    Oh and as far as Pottery Barn, my research seemed to indicate that they were more style vs quality. I sit-tested many of their chairs and sofas in store and found most to be disappointing. And I have seen many many reviews about their furniture not lasting. I think there's a good reason they don't have reviews on their website.


    In general high quality upholstered furniture has been very delayed, especially if the products are made in the USA. Demand has been pretty high since the pandemic for furniture. Additionally many manufacturers are experiencing a lot of delay / backlog from the pandemic (restrictions, temporary shut downs, spacing out employees, etc). Additionally there have been delays in getting product from overseas and there was an incident (fire?) at a critical USA foam manufacturer that deeply impacted the industry. Many brands were 30+ weeks out when I ordered last year. Even mid quality like Crate & Barrel were months out. I think anything made to order is just taking a really long time right now (and has been for the last few years).

    Kendrah thanked pricklypearcactus
  • 3 years ago

    I had never heard of Taylor King before. Looks like they have 8-way hand tied springs, which usually says quality to me. Thanks for that and your confirmation of my hunch about Pottery Barn upholstery. I'm so used to purchasing vintage furniture that it is available immediately. Good to know what to expect from a new furniture order.

  • 3 years ago

    DH has a wingback recliner from Bradington Young and loves it.

    Kendrah thanked 2pups4me
  • 3 years ago

    You might try Motioncraft, one of Sherrill’s furniture lines.

    https://www.motioncraft-furniture.com/products/recliners

    Kendrah thanked pleballerina
  • 3 years ago

    We;ve gotten the cheapy versions of the stressless recliner with ottoman and amazingly they are very comfortable.

    Kendrah thanked salonva
  • 3 years ago

    Kendrah you got a steal on that $75 chair!
    I have a small Sherrill accent chair that I ordered in December 2021 and didn’t receive until September 2022. I am not sure if they or their other furniture lines are still experiencing such a big delay in production. I did get a small discount from the dealer, but the chair was still just shy of 3K so just prepare yourself. Good luck in your quest!

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks for the reality check on costs. I usually find really quality pieces off of craigslist and have them upholstered. They are hard to find and I don't anticipate a wingback recliner will come along anytime soon so this will be my first venture into purchasing new upholstery. I think it will be money well spent if I know I can keep reupholstering it for decades to come. I'd rather spend $4k for something lasting than $1500 on something with 6 years of life.


  • 3 years ago

    My husband and I have been sofa shopping. He has been trying all the (chair) recliners, just to annoy me, I think. He randomly sat in a Stressless, and now we are planning to get one. It was great - we liked the pop out footrest. While trying sofas, we frequently liked the comfort of the Sherrill sofas and chairs. I didnt realize they make recliners, we will have to look into that.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    We use Lazy Boy recliner for media room and happy.

  • 3 years ago

    Two other resources for furniture quests might be Chairish (https://www.chairish.com) and local estate sales. I live in the Washington DC area and some of the estate sales are insane!

  • 3 years ago

    I simply cannot believe this: I went on to craiglist last night and the guy who sold me the $75 Sherrill wingback posted a matching one he is selling for $95 because according to him it is even better condition! He wanted to call me directly to see if I wanted it but lost my phone number. Love that I saw his post and now will have two great chairs for a steal!


    I still may get a reclining wing back for a different room. I got this email last night from the guide who runs the Insider's Guide to Furniture site. You can ask him questions about sofas and chairs and he responds quite quickly. I think most of you already flagged these brand for me and you were on the right track!


    "If you are looking for something that will last 15+ years you will need a manual mechanism.Regardless of price, no manufacturer, including high end brands, will guarantee power mechanisms for more than 5 years.
    A few traditional high end brands that may meet your needs include:

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH