Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmez

Need help with bookshelves in low ceiling dining room

3 years ago

We recently purchased 1960s transitional colonial home. The dining room has a low ceiling height…a touch lower than most of the other rooms oddly. We placed the wooden bookshelves in there to fill the space and they seem to make the ceiling feel lower. Any suggestions on decorating above or general placement of the bookshelves to share? I’m considering adding inserts to the back of bookshelves to lighten up the feel and think they should be closer together. The table is an antique and although great because of lower stature seem to fight with bookshelves in terms of scale. What does this room need!? And, yes, the bookshelves have a bit too much stuff…not many surfaces yet to protect fragile items from the cats!

Comments (12)

  • 3 years ago

    I just moved into a California ranch that suffers from LCS (low ceiling syndrome) and i’m still in the thinking stage. i feel your bookcases make the ceiling look lower. if you add bookcases they should match the wall color and they should go to the ceiling to give the room height.

  • 3 years ago

    I considered painting them…hubby freaked! They may have to go in great room. TY!

  • 3 years ago

    Not suggesting you paint them. If you are looking to add height to the room i would remove those bookcases and add something that is taller/ceiling height.

  • 3 years ago

    I don’t think everyone cal or should get custom book cases to reach the ceiling. That’d eliminate a lot of bookshelf lovers.

    Not painting them, at least initially, since they seem to go with decor.

    First I’d move them all together to be a cohesive unit which might allow for some lighter art at one side or sides— unless, either you have room and already want them in family room, or could remove one unit to family room. With 2 units in DR you could try out arrangements of the 2 together, 2 separated by art, 2 separated by a slim, sleek console table with art over it.

    When you have time, create an inspo- mood board looking up shelf decorating— can search for decorating dark shelves even—lean into lighter colored decor & metallics, but don’t go buy a bunch of junk- often you already own some items that you can group and still use some of your not-so - light special favorites.

    I’m m not saying never install custom painted shelving, just that it seems premature ( you may not yet know what types of furnishings & storage you want where) and I think the room could look really great now without a lot of fuss or $$ while you’re figuring things out.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    So the dining room is probably not the right place for these bookcases, but decide if you really even need them.


    You cannot 'gang' them together because of the base and the crown so they have to be used separately. Not many of us are storing books that we reference anymore.


    Make sure your light fixture is hung at the correct height.




  • 3 years ago

    Thank you! Still testing scale on light fixture. Great view that we don’t want to hide. I’ll update once I commit. Appreciate the advice!

  • 3 years ago

    I want to add a settee in the center of two and hand an antique mirror above. Just not in budget…first things first!

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, the ceiling is a bit lower than ideal, but I would ignore that for now. I would not worry about decorating above now, but rather style the shelves themselves. The viewer's eyes will be drawn down to the decorated contents and not dwell on the ceiling or the "clutter" between the top shelf and the ceiling.

  • 3 years ago

    I did read an article stating if you do not have 2’ above the bookshelves, leave it alone. Love all this advice. Very helpful to get unbiased input.

  • 3 years ago

    Push the bookcases together to look like one unit. But first, put up subtle vertically striped wallpaper on that one wall to move the eye upward.

    Poolside in Palm Springs · More Info


    Cheshire Powder Room · More Info


    MerryHill Living Room · More Info



    Custom Transitional · More Info


  • 3 years ago


    Contemporary Kids · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    Great idea! Have you used the peel and stick wallpaper?